Space Marine Command Tanks

So this will be my first WIP thread so I hope you enjoy! (sorry about it being links, for some reason it didn't like the links for some reason, anyone able to help I will fix it if you let me know how!)

This is my WIP of my newest additions to my tanks. After a trip to Nottingham (6+ hours each way by car) I now have my own command tanks which I will now introduce.

KgLZ1af.jpg

Those are my 2 new tanks and they are as such: The Land Raider Excelsior is "Blue Man" and the Rhino Primaris is "Minch Strait". Those names refer to the myth of the blue men of the Minch and since they are bought in the game as a pair, it seems natural to name them as such.

Also, just just you can see that both insides were painted prior to full assembly. No WIP on that but to be honest there wasn't much to it, just build Half of the tanks, did some early undercoating and then painted it before final assembly where I just took off some paint around joint areas so I could plastic glue them together fully.

yaLFfeg.jpg

3eQGhrQ.jpg

It may only be undercoat for now however I do want to document the progress I make with these tanks as since they are rather special due to their exclusive buying method.

Update 1:

Done some painting on "Blue Man". A quick note for all to see, Blue Man refers to the Blue Men of the Minch in Scottish Folklore.

ucgnJBV.jpg

lRsEDEb.jpg

So far managed to get a good chunk of the main paint job done. The intention however later on is to give the silver and gold a wash of nuln oil with some possible dry brushing and highlighting along with certain parts not being washed as to let them have a shine to them. "Minch Strait" is to be painted after "Blue Man" is finished.

Update 2:

Finishing a good chunk of the hull. looking good so far!

3HEOxwS.jpg

Q1PNiHZ.jpg

LZhMoWN.jpg

Edit 3:

In preparation for putting an update to this project I started so long ago I decided to update the images to actually show up in the thread. Expect some progress images of the Excelsior soon.

Edit 4:

Actually did work on the land raider. Hoping to paint up the captain and an extra pintle mounted storm bolter to be able to use on "Blue Man" if I have him with it added.

ecfrl9B.jpg

STF1Mi2.jpg

ONjieBs.jpg

Edit 6:

Finished "Blue Man" now along with a extra piece painted for it, a storm bolter pintle mounted so if I want to add it, it won't be out of place. Now onto the Rhino Primaris "Minch Strait"

QT698JI.jpg

tK2KMok.jpg

hmPgDdV.jpg

A unique member of my chapter rides this mighty vessel. While not shown here, he is denoted by a Zero on his right pauldron. While there is no Zero Company in the chapter, it denotes a member of the Court. This is a unique member of the court, the highest ranking of those within. While the First Company Captain is normally the one who rides within the hallowed armour, the current captain would rather be in the heart of the enemy and thus entrusts this tank to his care.

YIVIWBk.jpg

uoqWtuI.jpg

ugiNvDJ.jpg

Edit 7:

Rhino Primaris update, got the base colour on and also the undercoating the parts of the tank that will receive my chapters two metal colours: Silver and Gold. From the Excelsior I took note that white is a better undercoat for Silver and Gold while Black works better for Blue. This is a bit of an annoyance since 50% of my colour scheme is blue and the other 50% is Silver/Gold. I opt to stick with black as the undercoat for ease because it undercoats better and even a single layer of white undercoat does enough to allow the Gold and Silver to stand out far more and not be darkened beyond reproach however it is something to remember for future use as I did experiment with using the black undercoat to darken some gold on the excelsior intentionally (on the Grav Cannons cowl).

aJVFIke.jpg

WAfZlDs.jpg

5JVr8h8.jpg

The tanks are named after the lore of the Blue men of the Minch, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_men_of_the_Minch

So while it seems like a reference to ultramarines it is actually in reference to a scottish myth (as all of my chapter is named regarding scotland best I can. Tanks in note are named ether after myths or places like my vindicators are named after castles in scotland. Sort of fitting. They are Donan and Blackness).

The other 3 land raiders I have are named Stoorworm (My phobos pattern and oldest tank in my collection in terms of when I got it), Corryvreckan (My redeemer) and Grey Dog (Crusader), the last being a tidal race.

Tangent learning ^_^

Blue Man looks good. Do the Aquila-marked doors come with the model? (I understand it's a Warhammer World exclusive.)

Yes. If you mean the side access doors then yes. The actual box set is just a standard land raider + rhino set with a unit extra sprue that has all the special stuff for the 2 models. Another nice note is the instructions for building the models are the actual rules for them. Really nice looking.

• 1 year later...

Update just to note that the Excelsior is now complete. Now onto the Rhino Primaris. Looking forward to that. Hoping to get it done so I can move onto my other three land raiders. Intend to make a WIP of updating their colour scheme to my current, however the oldest of them will need some tending to.

Update regarding the Rhino, got it's blue on along with white undercoating in preparation for the metal colours to be added (Gold and Silver. "Make it out of Gold and Silver, Gold and Silver, Gold and Silver. Make out of Gold and Silver, My fair Sister!")

Archived