RSJake's Word Bearers 40k & 30k

RSJake

Looking very nice, good flow of movement and that rope looks spot on.

Even more coincidences between us brother, I've been mulling over Green Stuff World's kit for a few days now, especially their dark runes roller and tentacle maker! If you could give a quick review/pass comment on your roller I'd really appreciate it.

Looking very nice, good flow of movement and that rope looks spot on.

Even more coincidences between us brother, I've been mulling over Green Stuff World's kit for a few days now, especially their dark runes roller and tentacle maker! If you could give a quick review/pass comment on your roller I'd really appreciate it.

Dangit!  I didn't see the dark runes roller!  That would have been even better!  Frack! 

Oh well, I'll make the most of it.  Hahahaha!  I already have the tentacle maker, don't know how I got by without it!  I don't put tentacles or cables on everything, but when I do, it looks amazing!  I say that's a must have for anyone who modifies their minis at all.

I might actually just get the dark runes roller too, for the Gal Vorbak and others who have started to turn to chaos.  They have a pinning drill that's a  good price too.  Actually, all of their prices and shipping is hard to beat, especially for overseas.

Like you said, great minds think alike.  I was looking through your profile, do you have a WIP thread?  I didn't see one.

Anyway, I'll review the roller as soon as I use it!

Ahh, I was surprised to see you hadn't gone for the dark runes, it looks perfect for the Bearers of the Word.

I'll definitely get the tentacle maker then if you've had good experiences with it. Will probably pick a few other things up from them too, they seem to cover all bases when it comes to the converting side of the hobby.

Aye, there's a link to my WiP thread in my sig but I haven't updated in a long time due to being away at uni. I'm back home next week but then have a month's work away from home straight after so I won't be regularly updating til after that, been purchasing a stockpile of kits to set me going straightaway though.

Ahh, I was surprised to see you hadn't gone for the dark runes, it looks perfect for the Bearers of the Word.

I'll definitely get the tentacle maker then if you've had good experiences with it. Will probably pick a few other things up from them too, they seem to cover all bases when it comes to the converting side of the hobby.

Aye, there's a link to my WiP thread in my sig but I haven't updated in a long time due to being away at uni. I'm back home next week but then have a month's work away from home straight after so I won't be regularly updating til after that, been purchasing a stockpile of kits to set me going straightaway though.

Yeah, that'll teach me to look at ALL of the things I'm interested in, not just stopping at one that I like.  I do think they'll both work great.  Or maybe I'll get the dark runes, and not open the other one, and sell it or something.  Sorry I didn't see your link, the signatures are invisible to me for some reason!  I just skip right over them!  :D 

Yes. That axe really works, he's looking great all put together.

Thanks! I can't wait to start painting him!

That diabolist is looking fantastic! Great sculpting on the sergeant as well, looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you! Here are a few more additions to the Tac Squad:

gallery_58368_13170_562094.jpg

I don't know how much more I'll get to do before I leave for home on Monday, but what I do get done, I'll post.

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while, but I have more to share!!

I got the Green Stuff World Textured Base Rollers. I am super happy with them! However, they take a bit to get used to.

My first attempt was only "meh".

gallery_58368_13170_265504.jpg

But my second attempt, was much better, and I am very happy with them!

gallery_58368_13170_1209656.jpg

I will add some sand and small rock or whatnot, and paint them, and show them again in a few days.

I am just about done painting my Diabolist, still some work to do on the heads, but it's getting there!

gallery_58368_13170_585667.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_785084.jpg

And I just LOVE how the axe turned out!

Big question: Should there be blood dripping off the axe? Or keep it like it is?

gallery_58368_13170_310511.jpg

I have started on the Mk III Chaplain, hopefully will have progress to show on that in a few days.

Thanks for stopping by!

RSJake

That Diabolist is looking awesome!!! I recon there should be blood on the axe, wouldnt be a chaos marine without any lol

Thanks! And thanks for the feedback! I agree, there should be blood on the axe. It will get there eventually, I'm not done with the model, but I ran out of time, and am heading home today. I'll finish the Diabolist, and both Chaplains when I get back to work in 2 weeks.

But here is an update of where the models are at today.

The Diabolist, still working on the heads, and still blood to put on the axe, but the base is coming along!

gallery_58368_13170_304699.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_124764.jpg

And the Mk III Chaplain is pretty much done, I really like how the flames turned out.

gallery_58368_13170_509433.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_258465.jpg

And speaking of flames, I repainted the flames on the Terminator Chaplain's Power Maul:

gallery_58368_13170_283884.jpg

I think it looks more realistic now.

That's pretty much it, I have been super busy at work, so I didn't have as much hobby time as usual. Hopefully more next time.

Thanks for stopping by!

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible chaplain! So insane :smile.:

Thank you!!

Now that is a sweet model. Really impressed!

Which one? Either way, I appreciate it!

I did a bit more, mostly just adding script to the scrolls, I am going back and forth on whether or not to put transfers of runes onto the armor of the Chaplains.
What do you guys think? Add transfers? Or no? Or just paint script on the open spaces on the armor?
gallery_58368_13170_329520.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_358717.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_368976.jpg
Also, I think I'm done with the Diabolist's head. I still want to do some more highlights on the armor.
gallery_58368_13170_1285128.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_396220.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_159323.jpg
And I am almost finished with the first of the Mk III Armored Tactical squad.
gallery_58368_13170_357223.jpggallery_58368_13170_627527.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_300173.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_79448.jpg
And, last but not least, I have had this Skulltaker 70% painted for the last few years, I finally got him done, mostly just so I didn't have to look at him any more!
gallery_58368_13170_271423.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_1249301.jpg
gallery_58368_13170_1010956.jpg
Let me know what you all think!
Thanks for stopping by!
RSJake

The Chaplains and Sulltaker are looking great with the flames, the writing on the parchment and skulls is looking good too.

The runes on the bases look just the part, nice to see the rollers in action!

Is the missile launcher casing colour going to stay the same? It looks very similar/the same as the legionary's armour and I feel a different colour or some contrast would help break up the miniature somewhat; perhaps just some black on the launcher or even painting some of the armour plates or vambraces red to tie in with the Diabolist?

Edited by Pearson73

Pearson73:

Thanks!  I've always been afraid to paint flames, but these have come out better than I hoped.

Yes, I like the rollers very much!

A buddy of mine also commented on the lack of red.  I honestly wanted the Tactical squads to have the pre-heresy look of the Word Bearers from the books.  Completely concrete gray.  I kind of like the unassuming monotone of it.  But I'll think about it.  I have seen other pre-heresy Word Bearers with read shoulder pads to show a transition.

Maybe the inside portion of the shoulder pads, and the front teardrop shaped armor plate of the missile launcher in red?

Edited by RSJake

I used to worry about flames too, but found a simple yellow wash over white and red basecoats produces a really nice effect for little effort.

Red shoulders or the front plate of the launcher would help a lot I think.

Yeah, I was worried about painting flames for no reason, but anxiety had me in it's grip! :biggrin.:

Well, painting the shoulder pads red did the trick I think! And I have my second Mk III Trooper almost done too!

gallery_58368_13170_158883.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1462605.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1051050.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_257014.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_483374.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_49324.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

RSJake

Edited by RSJake

OK.

I did some transfers.

This is only the second set of transfers I've done, the first being the Word Bearers CSM Chosen I did a while back.

They did not turn out great, but I think they will work.

The WB symbol:

gallery_58368_13170_23585.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_796361.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_264843.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_8458.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1060653.jpg

The start of the Chapter Icon, which will be a skull with a Rune on it, I just don't know yet what rune I want to use. It has to be fairly simple, as I will be free-hand painting it on. And it's small.

gallery_58368_13170_884673.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1041793.jpg

And then I added some of the Word Bearer's rune script on the back of the Terminator Chaplain:

gallery_58368_13170_287417.jpg

All in all, I like the look, I still need to do some work to correct some of the transfers that cracked, but I like it.

Group shots!

gallery_58368_13170_228708.jpg

gallery_58368_13170_1028874.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Also let me know what rune you think I should use on the skull!

Thanks for stopping by,

RSJake

That mkiii chaplain is just amazing, such a good pose really adds a lot to the model

Thanks!  I am actually surprised it came out OK, I kept screwing up the sculpting before it cured.  I need to work on letting things cure before working on the next bit.  :D