BA Bikes...loadout and questions

So I'm about to start getting my Bike Unit together (I have 8 models).

I'm thinking that a pair of grav guns and a Sgt with combi-grav are my best bets.  Thoughts?

Then there's a bit in the entry that I don't really understand. 

All models in the unit start with bolt pistols, but can swap it for a chainsword at 0 points.

The question is, when would you ever use either your bolt pistol or chainsword?

-you can only fire 1 weapon, right? So either your twin-linked bolters or your bolt pistol, but not both.

-since you can't get both bolt pistol and chainsword, you can never beneit from the additional close combat weapon for +1 attack.

Is there something I'm missing about having either a bolt pistol OR a chainsword that makes them useful, necessary?

For the current edition, an Attack Bike with multi-melta compliments this squad well. It will also enable it to make use of the combat squads rule.

Can never go wrong with melta bombs on the Sergeant; krak grenades are never enough.

As for the latter, it really doesn't matter with the Bikes being Relentless - so choose the coolest option!

Yes, it's a bit of a hangover from older editions where the marine had to replace a weapon, I think he can just take a special now.

Anyway, it'll all be moot in a couple of months, melta, plasma or grav on bikers will always be a fun unit to play!

For your 8 guys, I'd try to get a ninth, and go 3x units, 1 each of triple melta, plasma and grav.

This same unit (3 bikes +1 attack bike) are one of the last few things I need to get for my Blood Angels .... but I'm holding off until 8th comes out in order to see how effective they are and how to best equip them?

IMO the heavy bolter is going to make a nice comeback in 8th, for example .... 

just holding off for now ...

This same unit (3 bikes +1 attack bike) are one of the last few things I need to get for my Blood Angels .... but I'm holding off until 8th comes out in order to see how effective they are and how to best equip them?

IMO the heavy bolter is going to make a nice comeback in 8th, for example .... 

just holding off for now ...

While the HVB might get better in 8th, I think that the MM will still pair better with the special weapon choices available to the bikes.

3xHVB bikes might be good though, but currently is beaten by hvb speeders.

Thanks guys.  Probably not going to build or use an attack bike. I just don't like the look of them.  Thus, the heavy bolter considerations are irrelevant. 

I won't go 3 x 3 units, either. I like having a couple Fast Attack slots dedicated to my assault marines. 

I think I'm going to do 2 grav guns but ditch the combi. I'll most likely give him a CCW.

Honestly unless you're dying to get these models together I'd just wait until we see what the new edition holds. We already know all weapon profiles are changing and there's Detachments available that make more than three FA choices available. Those two things alone have my super glue stored and other hobby projects on the go.

I mean, heck. Today's article states that ICs can no longer join units. 8th will have a lot of fundamental changes.

I've just been getting my bikes built from the waist down. They'll be a quick build once I've read through (thoroughly) the new rule set(s). Waaaaay off topic, but I've got about 30 B@C tacticals missing just arms similarly to my above bike statement.

Archived