A Chronicle of the Plague Wars (Space Marines/Grey Knights)

Hey, 

Being somewhat caught up in the hype for the new edition, and having been a fan of the lore for a while now, I thought now would be a good time to take a stab at the hobby side of Warhammer 40. To that end, I've started this blog to try and keep me focused on planning out, assembling, and painting the armies I plan to use on the table top. To do that, I plan to update the blog with progress pictures and bits of background/fluff for the army. Or perhaps "armies" would be a better term. For my first sortie in to the hobby, I've decided to build a combined army of Primaris Marines (the contents of the Dark Imperium box) and Grey Knights. The overarching background for the army will be the Plague Wars currently enveloping the Realm of Ultramar. The hobby updates will be interspaced with updates to the army's fluff and my general musings. 

And now, to plan the army. Here's a list of current models, planned conversions, and vague plans at expansion. 

The Grey Knights 
Current Army: 
Grand Master Voldus 
Grey Knight Paladin Apothecary 
Grey Knight Paladin Ancient 
Two Squads of Five Grey Knight Terminators 
A Venerable Dreadnaught 

Future Plans: 
Converted Grey Knight Librarian - Swapping one of the shoulder pads and the force weapon on a Space Marine Terminator Librarian. 
Converted Lord Kaldor Draigo - With Mortarian returning to the Imperium once more, it seems likely that he would once again confront one of his oldest foes... 
Possibly more squads of Grey Knight Terminators, another Venerable Dreadnaught or two, and *maybe* a Dreadknight (boy are those ugly). 
Might include a Stormraven or a Land Raider. 

Primaris Marines 
Current Army: 
The contents of the Dark Imperium box. 

Future Plans: 
Possibly trade for another set or wait for the multi-part Primaris kits to be released...

Thanks for reading, 
Bluegrass

Found this and thought it might help with that dreadknight problem. I don't much like the current form either, but there are some great conversions out there using the model as a base.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/282051-dreadknight-alternatives/

I took a look, and I gotta say...  I'm really liking the mashup of the Dreadknight with the Blood Angles Librarian Dreadnought sarcophagi. 

Think I might've gotten a bit too excited. I snipped Grand Master Voldus off of his sprue first, when he's likely to be the last to be painted. The miniature is currently soaking in a solution of warmish water and Dawn in an effort to clean him of whatever release agent GW uses. I've already done an initial scan of the miniature for mold lines and scrapped of the ones I found. He'll get another going over once he's rinsed and dried. I'm thinking that I might paint him in sub-assemblies, so I can try something that I think is neat. One of the GW painting guides I picked up over the years has a step-by-step guide for painting power weapons and says that Nihilakh Oxide can be used around the nodes on power weapons to give the appearance that they are glowing. I'm thinking about using that on the nodes on the inside and outside of Voldus' psychic hood.

Voldus

Edited by BluegrassGamer

Thought it was time for a project update!  And this isn't even the final one of the day.  Here's a line of the heavy-hitters of the Grey Knight's 11th Brotherhood: a Venerable Dreadnought, Standard Bearer w/ Nemesis Falchion, Warlord w/ Nemesis Daemon Hammer, and Apothecary.  

Heroes of the 11th Brotherhood

The Warlord's not quiet finished yet. In effort to mark out his position, and to make him more identifiable on the tabletop, he'll be adorned with the large and ornate iron halo that comes in the Space Marine Terminator Captain clam pack.  In a similar vein, Squad Leaders will be marked out with the standard iron halos from the Space Marine Terminator box.

Warloard

Next is the Standard Bearer. I guess it counts as a conversion if it's had a weapon/hand swap, yeah? Not entirely sold on how the left arm is current positioned.

Standard Bearer

Followed by the Apothecary. 

Apothecary

And then the Venerable Dreadnought.

Venerable Dreadnaught

I think I managed to get all of the mold lines off of 'em.  Current plan is build a five-man unit of Paladins and start converting Lord Kaldor Draigo.  Draigo likely won't be finished today.  I had to bits order his storm shield - the sculpted pauldron from the Nemesis Dreadknight - and it hasn't arrived yet. 

Time for another update! It's only two miniatures at the moment, tho.

The Grey Knight Warlord (finished conversion)

IMG 0468

And Lord Kaldor Draigo (still waiting for his stormshield bit to come in).

IMG 0467

Edited by BluegrassGamer

• 2 weeks later...