Why are chaos marine leaders "defined" so strictly?

Julgolax

It's a question that I've had, kind of, since I first got into Chaos during the 3.5 edition. Reading about Chaos Lords, Lieutenants, Sorcerers and the special units "Dark Apostle" and "Warsmith" from their respective forces was a true joy. But even then, I wondered, why do we have to have these narrowly defined "characters" when a true champion of chaos should be able to have a daemon weapon, plasma pistol, daemonic steed, Mark of Tzeentch, a daemonic mutation, and the ability to curse his enemy and turn them into a spawn if he'd like. 

I mean, yeah, rules and limitations to keep things fair, I guess, but even in the lore, some chaos lords have powers that make my "generic" guy envious. Huron and his time bending, Typhus and his Destroyer Hive, and so on.

And why do I have to be a Psyker to use warp powers? Considering that when you're a champion of chaos, the very air around you can erupt in twisting flames, your gaze can cause men and alien to gouge their eyes out and a simple touch of your hand can boil blood and rot flesh... And let's not even start with the Dark Apostle, who is like the gimpy chaos chaplain rather than a mighty vessel for the chaos gods' will...

Hwhyeee Eeez Deece!?

My instinct is that it's because the models don't have those options, and GW is trying to move away from giving rule options where the models don't exist.

Unfortunately, they are also incredibly inconsistent with this as well. Iron Priests on Thunderwolves, for example. It seems to come down to the author(s) who wrote the books and their opinion on the issue.

Is a shame, too. I'd love to use a Warpsmith on a Juggernaut.

Archived