Building a crusade squad

I'm starting a new crusade from the ground up. So i have a few questions.

1. Building a squad of cc marines looks like buying two squads of assault marines. Is there a better or cheaper alternative? Blood claws from the SW line has SW icons everywhere and i'm trying to reduce conversion time. Maybe deathwatch squads?

2. Neophytes for 8th look to be bp/cc or shotguns. For a melee group would the bp/cc be better overall?

First of all, welcome to the Eternal Crusade.

There is the Black Templars Chapter Upgrade which comes with a selection of weapons. You can also look for bits in bits shops and transform 'regular' bolter Marines, into more manly appropriate Templars.

Regarding Neophytes, with the overall reduction of attacks and removal of the restrictions on charging after firing weapons, I suppose that a mix of shotguns, botlers and blade and pistol Neophytes might fit nicely into a Crusader Squad.

I'm not new to Templars, I played back in 3rd, and building a new crusade from the ground up since so much has changed. I'm just figuring out how to get the most bang for my buck without spot purchasing online.

I do have two boxes of Templar upgrade kits from 4th. But I also have 8 marines never assembled from 3rd and enough cc weapons to go with them.

I bought a box of mk3 marines from the HH line to add diversity to my models. Picking up a mk4 box today. But the HH don't have many cc weapon options.

I'm not new to Templars, I played back in 3rd, and building a new crusade from the ground up since so much has changed. I'm just figuring out how to get the most bang for my buck without spot purchasing online.

I do have two boxes of Templar upgrade kits from 4th. But I also have 8 marines never assembled from 3rd and enough cc weapons to go with them.

I bought a box of mk3 marines from the HH line to add diversity to my models. Picking up a mk4 box today. But the HH don't have many cc weapon options.

The Mk III box set comes with 10 Marines all with Chainswords that can be tweaked a bit to attach to hands/arms...

It will require some work, but you'd have Chainswords for days...

Problem is, the poses are a bit static as well for melee Crusaders... the best option I guess is to start learning to cut legs apart and putting them back together into more dynamic poses :p

MkIV has arms that match very well with modern Marine kidts, meaning kitbashing the Templar kit with them shouldn't be an issue. Plus I'm positive tabards would look good with the doghelm. Then again the only thing tabards don't look good on is a xenos or traitor.

The mark 3's have 10+ chainswords, but no proper melee arms to attach them to. I know i have bits from all kinds of crap from back in the day. So finding arms to work with shouldn't be much of an issue.

Bolt pistols in large numbers, besides those on the bt sprue is a different story.

It almost feels like I need to buy a box of everything and just mix and match to get a good spread. Without converting every third piece.

If you're looking for minimal conversion time, I would go with buying 2 assault squads.

The Blood Angel Death Company squad appears to allow making jump pack marines for slightly cheaper but again there'll be a lot of BA iconography to file off...

I built my Crusader Squads using Blood Claws since the actual conversion from wolfy bits wasn't all that bad. All of the wolfy stuff in on a separate sprue, and any special weapons that have wolfy-looking bits can generally be easily made decent by filing/cutting off the offending bits. Otherwise, the Blood Claw box is just generic marines with generic bp&ccw arm sprues.

Archived