Making 7th Ed BA Lists into 8th Ed BA Lists

Father Mapple

I started this idea in another thread, but I wanted to see what happens to other people's lists as they take the models they have painted or were painting towards and put them into the new edition.

I've been working on trying to convert the lists I had built/was painting to in previous edition into the new 8th points. It takes a while to do this without Battlescribe!

In 7th edition, I was making an Archangel's Battle Company with Terminators and Stormravens. 2000pts was the following: Cpt in Term armor with CF/LC; 15 Tactical Terminators with 3x CF and 2x Assault Cannons, 1x Heavy Flamer; 10 Assault Terminators with split of LC and TH/SS; 2 Stormravens, 1 with hurricane bolters; 2 Furiosos in Drop Pods, 1 with frag cannon and heavy flamer, the other with fists and meltagun.

In 8th edition, I can't quite make the following fit in 2000pts: Cpt in Terminator armor with CF and stormbolter; 10 Tactical Terminators with 2 CF, 2 Assault Cannons, 10 Assault Terminators with a split of LC and TH/SS, 2 Stormravens with mix of weapons, 1 with hurricane bolters; 2 Furiosos, 1 with frag cannon and meltagun/heavy flamer on a fist, 1 with pair of fists and meltagun/heavy flamer and stormbolter.

Points definitely went UP overall for my list. I lost 5 Tactical terminators, some upgrades, and such.

Bonus is... now I just need to paint 5 terminators instead of 12 more to have a complete list.

​Next is my all death company list I took to a 7th edition tournament a few times. I'll point that one up soon.

Show me what happened in your lists!

EDIT: I had to edit these posts because I left out the points for the stormstrike missile launchers in all the lists! D'oh! So the points imbalances are even further off for the 8th edition lists by 42 per stormraven.

Ok, I pointed up my all (themed) Death Company list.

In 7th edition, I took the following at 1850 points in 1 Lost Brotherhood Force and 1 Baal Strike Force: Astorath; Lemartes; Death Co Chaplain with Gilded Crozius; 5 JP Death Co with bp/cs; 10 Death Co with bolters and 2x power fists; Death Co Dreadnought with fists, meltagun, stormbolter; Furioso (as it was a chaplain dreadnought) with Frag Cannon, heavy flamer, smoke; Raphen's Squad; Cassor the Damned; 2 Stormravens, 1 with hurricane bolters, 3 Drop pods.

In 8th edition, I can make the following 1851 list using the HQ and Elites force org and getting 2 command points: Astorath, Lemartes, Chaplain with Jump Pack and inferno pistol; 10 Death Co with jump packs, 2 power axes, 1 Thunder Hammer, 1 power fist, 1 power sword, 1 inferno pistol; Death Co Dreadnought with meltagun, stormbolter, 2 fists; Furioso with meltagun, frag cannon, 1 fist; Cassor Counts-As with 2 fists, magna grapple, meltagun, stormbolter; 5x Death Co with bolters, chainswords, 1x power fist; 2 Stormravens with 1x Twin Heavy Bolter, 2x Twin Assault Cannons, 1x Twin Multimelta, and 2x hurricane bolters to go on the Heavy Bolter Raven.

So the transition into 8th edition, trying to make as close of the same list as possible, outside 10 points, means I lost 5x death company infantry with a power fist and 3x drop pods. For a gain of 5 points, I could drop the Death Company Chaplain and make him into the missing squad of 5x death company with 1x power fist, but in either version of the list, I'm missing 3 drop pods and about 100 points of models.

Again, for me, 8th edition meant LESS models on the table. Maybe that is also part of why the game will play faster?

​As to the 2 power axes, I pointed them in the new list as they're now only 5pts each, but my models have them because I built them in 5th edition to be used as power weapons, but in 6th and 7th they were just CCW counts-as since axes weren't great.

EDIT: I had to edit these posts because I left out the points for the stormstrike missile launchers in all the lists! D'oh! So the points imbalances are even further off for the 8th edition lists by 42 per stormraven.

Digging these comparisons. Eventually I'll get around to digesting the points values for everything and do the same, I'm curious to see how things will change for my lists as well.

EDIT: I had to edit the posts above because I left out the points for the stormstrike missile launchers in all the lists! D'oh! So the points imbalances are even further off for the 8th edition lists by 42 per stormraven.

Ok, last one for me. I would take a semi-mechanized list for fluffy reasons when playing Flesh Tearers. It was meant to be an all around generalist list. Little of this, little of that, no death star, no amazing shooting, all sergeants made into Veterans, etc.. It's made to have close games.

7th Edition list using a Baal Strike Force at 1992 points.

Gabriel Seth; Sanguinary Priest with bolt pistol, additional weapon, Valour's Edge relic; 8JP Death Company with bp/cs, 1x power fist, 1x power sword; Furioso Dreadnought + Drop Pod, frag cannon, heavy flamer, magna grapple; Scout squad x5 bp/combat blades, camo cloaks; Tactical Squad x10, flamer, heavy flamer, combi flamer, meltabomb, Rhino; Tactical Squad x10, lascannon, plasmagun, combiplasma, meltabomb, Rhino; 8 Assault marines without jump packs, 2x flamers, power weapon, meltabomb; Land Speeder 2x heavy bolters; Ball Predator with 2x Heavy Bolters and TL assault cannon; Land Raider with 2x TL lascannons, 1x Heavy bolter; Stormraven with TL Assault cannon, TL Multimelta, missiles;

8th Edition list using Battalion Detatchment with all the same loadouts (except Valour's edge became a Relic Blade for 1 point more) is....

2310 points! You see a 15% bloat in the points for the same models on the table.

I'd have to cut the drop pod, land speeder, shave off 3 death company and 3 assault marines, and take a few upgrades off to have close to the same list.

Mapple, I have not done anything close to a pt for pt comparison, but the less models thing seems primarily a function of vehicles being more. Does that seem right?  Thus, if you played mostly an infantry army in 7th edition, barring a crazy number of upgrades, I would think you'd have about the same as or more infantry models in 8th.  Does that jive with you're seeing?

Yeah, mostly. Landraider went from 250 to over 330.

Stormravens can't come in less than 250 points anymore.

Furiosos with bare minimum equipment of 2 fists (cheaper than other combinations) and stormbolters is still over 180pts, without transportation. 

Tacticals in a Rhino is really close to the same point values fully equipped and if you factor in the veteran sergeant upgrades.

Jump Death Company are actually a little cheaper in most setups. 

Special characters are usually cheaper since their wargear is built in, but Build Your Own characters are either the same or cheaper usually. My 160 point captain in terminator armor became 125, as I didn't need some extra weapons. There's no reason to have two weapons as they all swing at the same time. The difference is just AP and to hit modifiers, so I don't need a lightning claw and power fist combo for AP reasons anymore, just a power fist (unless I want the -1 to hit back and use a different weapon). 

Except Librarians. They are more expensive now in any BA setup, and Psyker Level 2 is basically built in. 

Archived