Pure Fallen

I think he's referring to the Cypher dataslate from last edition which would let you create a Fallen-esque army IIRC. Now, apparently they're just kinda screwed.

I guess the attempt is to say that Cypher can have Fallen retinue, but I don't know how many people will take them if they have to footslog everywhere.

I think Cypher is best used by himself as the Detachment HQ and warlord option. Anyone know if his special rule where he negates mission victory conditions on a 2+ effects Slay the Warlord?

I've been thinking about how to make the Fallen en mass (or at least a few squads) viable/competitive - let me know what you think of this idea (may be pushing RAW)

1. Cypher

2. Fallen squad with as much plasma as you can fit

3. Chaos Sorcerer with prescience and warp time

Warp Time and Prescience don't work on fallen because they aren't heretic astartes. Same reason those powers don't work on chaos daemon units. Plasma chosen with a lord nearby are capable of that, fallen are not.

Fallen aren't a legion, so only Cypher can buff them, chaos lords can't be fallen and can only buff their own legion/warband. A pure fallen detatchment could only be a vanguard one because the only units fallen have available to them are Elites and a single HQ.

Good pickup - cheers for that

I've been thinking about how to make the Fallen en mass (or at least a few squads) viable/competitive - let me know what you think of this idea (may be pushing RAW)

1. Cypher

Move Cypher up 7", and the Fallen and sorcerer up 6", then warp time the fallen up another 6" - Cypher should still be within 6" of them

Cast prescience on the Fallen squad

Unleash supercharged plasma death on the enemy (hopefully you are in rapid fire range by now) - you re-roll 1s thanks to Cypher and "can add 1 to your hit rolls" thanks to prescience, so on your first lot of rolls you add 1 to any 2s you roll (turning them into hits on 3+) but keep any 1s so that you can reroll, and then on the rerolls you add 1 to everything to avoid supercharged pain

Doesn't work. Those powers only work on HERETIC ASTARTES. FALLEN do not have that keyword. All they have is: IMPERIUM, CHAOS, FALLEN.

1. Cypher

Move Cypher up 7", and the Fallen and sorcerer up 6", then warp time the fallen up another 6" - Cypher should still be within 6" of them

Cast prescience on the Fallen squad

Unleash supercharged plasma death on the enemy (hopefully you are in rapid fire range by now) - you re-roll 1s thanks to Cypher and "can add 1 to your hit rolls" thanks to prescience, so on your first lot of rolls you add 1 to any 2s you roll (turning them into hits on 3+) but keep any 1s so that you can reroll, and then on the rerolls you add 1 to everything to avoid supercharged pain

Doesn't work. Those powers only work on HERETIC ASTARTES. FALLEN do not have that keyword. All they have is: IMPERIUM, CHAOS, FALLEN.

As a note, Inquisition characters can buff the FALLEN to the nines because most of their stuff keys off of the IMPERIUM keyword. So can Custodes. They also get the buffs from Imperial Statuary and the Wall of Martyrs Defence Line.

So you could totally have an Inquisitor working with a team of FALLEN because it was expedient. The Deathwatch are rumored to include some as Blackshields.

I am not sure if it count but this is what I came up with for a Fallen army. It consists of 2 detachments, one Fallen, and one that is either Imperial or chaos but the models and options are the same. Its based on the models I have and wanting the same army to be either chaos/imperial.

Vanguard Detachment

HQ - Cypher

Elite - Fallen (4 combi-plasma, missile launcher)

Spearhead Detachment

HQ - Sorcerer/Librarian on bike (Force staff, bolt pistol)

Heavy Support - Predator (twin Lascannons, 2x lascannons)

Heavy Support - Predator (twin Lascannons, 2x lascannons)

Heavy Support - Predator (autocannon)

Heavy Support - Hellforged/Relic Leviathan Dreadnought (2x siege claws, 2x melta guns, 2x hell/heavy flamer)

It comes out to 100/97 Power Level, 2137/2126 points. My group is going to give power levels a fair try. If needed I can drop the combi-plasmas to get less than 2000 points.

Plan would be to use the fallen in cover (2+ armor) to get and hold objectives. use the predators to concentrate fire and the leviathans to draw fire. Interestingly enough, in either chaos/imperial lists I will be able to summon daemons with Cypher, although I need to reserve those points in matched play.