Sons of Dorn - Rebirth

"We have fought hard and suffered much brothers. The Great Rift may have sundered our fleet and claimed the lives of much of our Chapter, but by the grace of Lord Guilliman we have been given a second chance. Reforged stronger and purer, we shall bring the Emperor's light back into the darkness of the Imperium Nihlus. The Great Devourer could not end us, nor the machinations of the archenemy, for we are the Sons of Dorn, and our will is resolute. For Dorn and the Emperor brothers!" - Chapter Master Agamon of the Sons of Dorn

With the new Primaris Marines coming out I figured this was the perfect opportunity to reboot my Sons of Dorn chapter. I am only painting the one marine at the moment, and he is still WIP, but I hope to make these guys my 8th edition army. I will be retooling their background lore a bit too for anyone who remembers this Chapter. The basic idea is that the entire remaining elements of the Chapter (half of them were killed defending their now completely ravaged homeworld of Archea from a Tyranid splinter fleet) were in warp transit to the Cadian front when the Great Rift split the galaxy in twain. The majority of the fleet was destroyed, torn apart in the aetheric energies. Those that survived were "boarded" by demonic hosts. The Battle-Barge of the 4th company under the command of Captain Agamon suffered greatly, but eventually was spit out of the Warp. Hearing of Guilliman's return and the wonder being wrought on Terra by him and Cawl, the remaining Sons of Dorn set out for the throneworld. After much fighting they arrived at less then 50 marines strong, unsure if any other members of the Chapter escaped the Warp as well. Agamon requested an audience with Guilliman and made his case for being included in the Primaris project. The remaining Sons of Dorn were give the surgeries to become Primaris Marines, while the rest of their numbers started to be filled out by the new marines from Mars. Now, with their chapter slowly being replenished and at fighting strength once again, the Sons of Dorn have ventured into the Imperium Nihlus, cut off from the light of the Astronomican, to bring the Emperor's retribution to those who seek to prey on the masses of humanity isolated from Terra, and, perhaps, find any signs of other survivors from their Chapter's catastrophe...

I will be fleshing it out more as I move along. I imagine their branch of the crusade to have other elements of the Imperium's armies as well, including a contingent of Custodes, since I want to paint some :smile.:

Looks promising. The black colors, however, brings questions of how to differentiate your Chapter from the Black Templars.

Their icon will be the fist, and they will have much more of a greco-roman feel to them once I get to the freehand bits.

If you're going with greco-roman, and taking inspiration from your banner pic, why not try some light marble-effect detailing? you'd basically only need to do some "lightning-effects" in grey and white over some of the sections (the greaves and pauldrons for instance), and they'll stand right out :) You obviously have the skill to pull it off

... And I think you just sold me on the Primaris Marines...

Looking good mate.  I have been a fan of your marines since your Astral Claws and, now that you mention is, I swear I remember seeing your Sons of Dorn before too.  Looking forward to this.  Your projects are always an inspiration to watch.