Chaplains / Lemartes / Astorath

The Gozfather

Having not played 40k in the best part of decade I'm looking forward to 8th ed coming out (not having much to compare it against for criticisms!) and whilst tinkering about with some new lists I came across TheHarrower's 2,000pts which to me looked pretty sound:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334332-2000-points-8th-edition/

Looking a bit further into the Lemartes choice it got me wondering about whether he's a better choice than a vanilla chaplain, or maybe Astorath?

Lemartes vs Chaplain (with jump pack)

+2 attacks (+3 with BR)

+1S / -1 AP D3 Dam (compared to standard 2 Dam for vanilla. So 33% chance for better, 33% chance for worse...)

Both have same inv save and jump pack assault. Lemartes has Black Rage for the 6+++

The special rules for Lemartes only affect DC units, whereas vanilla affect ALL friendly units, so at the cost of not re-rolling charge range potentially more units are getting the buffs.

Then Astorath...

Better WS and BS, extra W, better SV.

Weapon is kinda a mix between the two chaplains, but with a chance for straight 3 Dam if 6s to wound. Again he affects ALL units nearby, and makes DC auto pass morale. Same re-roll to hit in fight phase for ALL units, but no re-roll charge range.His 'Mass of Doom' is also nice little buff for nearby units once per game.

The big decider is probably the points costs, which admittedly I've not been able to find out, so if anyone knows then please chip in!

I've started to waffle and can't remember my point, which I think was that vanilla Chaplains are a cheaper and at least equally viable choice?

Any thoughts?

Really depends on your list.

If your taking DC units, then Lemartes is an automatic choice.

Chaplain for other BA assault units, and is more flexible (JP, TDA, Bike, plain PA). Don't discount the Captain (re-roll 1s to hit in both shooting and assault), and Librarians (Unleash Rage) for boosting your attack power.

Astorath if you want the Mass of Doom gimmick i guess ?

Archived