My return from a looong hiatus...

i mean with all the different detachments that you can take and the whole keyword thing, you could have a mix of all three :P

but if you want to go with one of the three ways it all depends on your whole style of play and all that stuff :D

i suggest watching some battle reports on youtube for 8th if you haven't already as there  multiple nurgle/khorne/tzeentch battles

but from my personal view: 

Khorne - the zerkers fight twice per combat phase so they're mean when they reach enemy lines, no restrictions on army list besides the whole sorcerer thing (unless you had a 'chaos' keyword which eliminates that, but zerkers would go back to elites due to not using world eaters)

1kSons - the ap of their bolters are deadly and their 'all is dust' rule allows them to have better saves against 1D weapons, warpflamers are also cool and you also have your Primarch Magnus which looks deadly (but expensive)  

DeathGuard/Nurgle- tough as **** infantry that can be backed up by hordes of poxwalkers....i want to try typhus inside a bubble wrap of like 100 Poxwalkers march up the battlefield (which would be 750pts XD but funny still) plus its nurgle so conversion opportunities galore 

demons obviously add to the factions if you run them as mono gods not legions (nurglings can set up 9" away from enemy and then take their turn)

but yeah i would seriously considering just using a chaos keyword for your detachments and just use something like a vanguard detachment for 6 elite slots (3 mandatory and 1 hq) with some other slots and then just pick another detachament with it

i hope my 2 cents helped :P (yours/others opinions of units may be different obviously) 

More seriously, while berzerkers are great, I wouldn't start world eaters right at this particular moment.  Too much likelihood of them losing in-legion access to multiple units when they inevitably get the thousand sons / death guard treatment.  For instance, I'm sure they'll get their own version of terminators, and i doubt world eaters havocs will still be a thing, and there's a better-than even shot that they'll lose basic CSMs, bikes, & jump units.  Oh, sure, you could still play them if that happens as non-world eater units, but... yeah.

Anyway, of the three, if your feelings on them are completely even, I'd start with death guard, as they'll be getting a codex soon.

Though, again, the Black Legion is always welcoming to new recruits.

i mean you can also just run a mark detachment (e.g nurgle or khorne) and then you can legitimatly pick any unit you want with that mark (so pretty much everything, including demons of that god :P ) 

do a diy warband, write a bit of history paint them hwever you want then :P and your battles feel a lot cooler :P 

You can run a mark or chaos army instead of a legion army, but i fear that, once we start seeing codeces for the cult legions that specifically reward a tighter thematic focus, you might come to regret that decision.

+1 for taking the Black. In all seriousness, you can run whatever you want and still be thematic. You could pick whatever of the three you want to do now, say Death Guard, then when you want to switch to the fancy new Thousand Sons, paint them and they can fight in the same army. Then when new Berzerkers come out.....boom! B) The only thing is you will lose on the cults being troops, but can't have everything I guess though troops are less important than ever now only needed to fill your chosen FOC's slots.

+1 for taking the Black. In all seriousness, you can run whatever you want 

Sadly, with the new cult stuff that's not actually completely true any more.  In addition to the special characters (apart, of course, from Abaddon), you cannot give the 'Black Legion' keyword to exalted sorcerers, tzaangors, scarab terminators.  Likewise with new nurgle stuff, there are no Black Legion bloat drones, pox walkers, lords of contageon, blightbringers, or plaguecasters.  Sure the characters are easy enough to run as generic alternatives - exalted sorcerers as regular tzeentch sorcs, lords of contageon as regular nurgle termie lords, etc - but for some of the more esoteric units like bloat drones and tzaangors that's harder to do, and as the cult armies continue to get unique signature units there will be more and more heretic astartes units in the game that cannot carry the Black Legion faction keyword.

Not that you couldn't run them anyway, in a generic CSM list that just mostly takes black legion stuff, and paints everything in a black legion color scheme regardless of whether it has the keyword or not.  The mechanical distinction is very minor for the moment, but it's probably going to get more noticeable as time goes on.

Edited by malisteen

Till there is an actual codex, play with what ever models you have. If you do not have any models don not buy in to a specific army.

I think this is pretty sound advice. We have no idea what wrenches they will throw in our plans. Better to avoid wasting money and just utilize whatever models in various combinations to find what's fun and effective. Not that a model you like would be a waste necessarily, but this legion tag and army list restriction silliness is sorta annoying. Could matter, might not.

*edit*

Oh, but the answer is obviously WORLD EATERS.

Edited by Juggernut

I must be a terrible Black Legion player because I have no interest in recruiting :dry.:

Thousand Sons is the safest bet, then Deathguard if you just focus on painting the starter set models and forgeworld stuff until their inevitably soon proper release.

Honestly, I don't have much interest in black legion.  I prefer mono god legions myself.  

1k sons are one of my favorite legions, but currently they are nothing more then a slightly durable shooting army with a lil psyker support and my first army is necrons...maybe a tad too similar. But I love the warrior scholar idea and lots of psykers, even if they don't throw around absolute destruction anymore :(

Deathguard is another favorite legions, it really depends on what Typhus and Motarion looks like, and whether or not a friend of mine decides to play them.  If he does, I don't want to play the same army as he does...it'd make me feel...dirty (He plays eldar and tau normally)

World Eaters was my very first army ever and probably my absolute favorite legion.  But the zerker models really need to be redone before I work on those, and with no psykers I'd need dogs for psyker defense and I hate dogs.

So all 3 armies have their pluses and minuses and everything really just sets me at an stalemate *sigh*

well, then it boils down to personal preference as always then :P 

if your choice you could just put on some really loud music, take a ton of narcotics and bow down to the rave lord, or slaneesh to the less familiar ;)  but on a serious note noise marines are actually good now, and slaneesh demons look interesting :P you could start four warbands one dedicated to each god :P 

im in the same predicament as you atm, so im probably gonna have a black legion-esque warband, but as a diy nurgle warband (khorne berzerkers will be my failed warlords experiments etc) so that works round the whole old models thing :P 

I must be a terrible Black Legion player because I have no interest in recruiting :dry.:

We all have our calling, brother, serving the Warmaster according to our particular talents.  Some of us extend his welcoming hand to prospective allies, others deliver his crushing boot to our enemies.

But on topic, again, if you are trying to decide on a Legion, and Death Guard is in serious contention, I would put off the decision for a month or two so that you can take their forthcoming new codex and model range into consideration.

Edited by malisteen