SMM's Death Guard - Plague Champion

I've started playing around with a very non-standard Death Guard scheme on one if my DI Lord of Corruption models. Dirty iron, rusted pock marks, verdigris vents and chains.

885015_md-.JPG885016_md-.JPG

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Yea I'm pretty excited, unfortunately because my group plays with fully painted and my old death guard army has a drastically different scheme (and scale) I won't be able to do the drones or standard Plague Marines for a bit. So it'll be the Plague caster next and then probably the bell guy

Thanks guys! :)

@dosjetka I was originally going to do the smoke and holes in the incense burners a menacing red into grey, but between the rust and and flesh and nurglings it was just a bit too much warm colours. Might have to go back and add a bit more detail to the smoke though

Finally got him done (minus base), very pleased with how he turned out, except at a certain angle where the axe colours just blur together. I tried adding some "sparks" to the smoke on top, I think it turned out pretty well and just needs a little refinement to make it looks really cool. Really excited to paint up these guys.

The guts and exposed skin 

885398_md-.JPG

885399_md-.JPG885400_md-.JPG885401_md-.JPG885402_md-.JPG885403_md-.JPG

Finally did the base on the LoC and am working on the next model, the Champion of the Plague Marine squad! Honestly, I'm probably just going to use him as a cool Chaos Lord, since his loadout is terrible for a Champion (combi-weapon of some sort being the clear winner imo), but regardless, very fun to paint. The flesh is the only thing completed, but I've pretty much got all the metal done, with the censors needing some touch up and shading where they break through the armour, and will probably tackle the bone next. Cloth is going to be red just like the LoC, the holster I was thinking the same as the wrapping on the axe, while the sword and the fly's wings I might try and do the turquoise-grey of the smoke. 

886337_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20D

Yes, the base is very plain and I need to go and fill in the gap between the nuglings and base with more stirland mud, but its still officially done for me ;)

886334_md-.JPG

886335_md-.JPG

886336_md-.JPG

Looks like I lied about the flesh being done :teehee: There's a couple of large pustules that need to be hit with a BftBG and Nurgle's Rot mix.

Very cool paintjob, I think! Makes the disgusting guts and stuff stand out more, too...

Thanks dude! I was a bit worried about the colours clashing at one point, so I'm really glad it all pulled together in the end

Very sweet paint job you've got there! Definitely represents the rot and decay extraordinarily. 

Thanks for the kind words! And yea, I'm not satisfied with just painting the divots as a normal part of the armour ;)

He looks fantastic completed! Love the guts especially, looking forward to seeing some more painted in this style!

Thanks friend! I love the guts too, was a bit sad there were only tentacles on the champion

• 3 months later...

Wow it's been a long while. Between getting initially burnt out from a pretty mean tournament list, to moving, to getting resinspired by the dex, I didn't remember to update this with the small progress I've made.

First up is the finished champion. Really pleased with the end result, especially with how the sword contrasts to the rest of the model.

907501_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20907500_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20907499_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20

Next are a Noxious Blightbringer and a Malignant Plaguecaster, two staples in my lists. They need bone, cloth, turquoise and verdigris to finish them up.

907502_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20

Some hastily primed Deathshroud. I can't wait to start on these guys, the models are immense.

907503_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20

And the big guy himself. He's at that stage of 80% complete where you don't feel bad busting him out for games, but then realize there's all these little details you want to get done.

907504_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20

• 5 months later...

So it's been a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been painting anything. These are all pretty much Elite choices, all varying WIP; I'll get the Troops and Fast another day.

First is the Blightbringer. I missed the nurgling's teeth and some indentations on a bell, but he's done other than that.

939162_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP.939163_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP.

939164_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP. 939165_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP.

Next are the unit of Deathshroud. The champion is done, while the other two need bases, verdigris on scythes and highlights on the cloth.

908819_md.jpg908816_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C908817_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C908818_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C

939167_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.939169_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.939166_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.939173_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.

Unfortunately I managed to lose my Plaguecaster at a Tournament, so there isnt any more progress from last time. I do have a second one from the starter kit, but in the meantime I'm painting Typhus up to get my fill of psychic support.

I still got all the verdigris left to do on him and the eyes, as well as probably redoing the nurgling. I'm going to do up the smoke/flies seperately and see how it looks before coming to any decisions about that

939148_md-Typhus%20WIP.jpg939149_md-Typhus%20WIP.jpg

939174_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20%2B%

And a double post for more pics

The Tallyman is nearly finished, all I have left is the base and cleaning up the dangling bones and his eyes. Lots of detail on this model, and I tried to do the writing in a blood looking ink, which probably doesn't help.

939156_md-Tallyman%20WIP.jpg939158_md-Tallyman%20WIP.jpg

I keep on squeezing the Plague surgeon into my lists because I love the model, but I'm honestly not looking forwards to doing all the vials and syringes. I've never really tried the liquid-in-glass effect before so we'll see how that turns out. Still a whole lot of work and details left to do on him. Verdigris, weapon, red cloth, white smock, syringes, cords, blood, etc... 

939159_md-Plague%20Surgeon%20WIP.jpg939160_md-Plague%20Surgeon%20WIP.jpg939161_md-Plague%20Surgeon%20WIP.jpg

Did I mention that I need to learn how to do glass effects? Because the Putrifier has a ton of bottles on him. I'm also doing a minimum of rust, since a lot of the sores and divots in his armour looks like there's fleshyness underneath. Hopefully the end result is nice and not too jarring next to my other models. Still a heavy WIP.

939150_md-Biologus%20Putrifier%20WIP.jpg939151_md-Biologus%20Putrifier%20WIP.jpg939152_md-Biologus%20Putrifier%20WIP.jpg

Final model is the Blightspawn. I initially really didn't like the model, but having seen it in person I think it's fantastic! Still not the keenest on a lot of the CAD re-use though. Still a bunch of verdigris, base, flesh touchups and other details. And glass.

939153_md-Foul%20Blightspawn%20WIP.jpg939154_md-Foul%20Blightspawn%20WIP.jpg 

Thanks for looking!

Edited by SkimaskMohawk