Dark angels game - thoughts on units

Madmonkeyman

So thoughts after my second game. I was playing tau, usually a hard counter to dark angels . He brought a taunar ( the really big forgeworld one ! ) and a bunch of commanders and infantry. We were playing 120 power .

My list was

Hq- sammael and azrael, librarian (aversion power )

Elite- deathwing knights

Fast attack- dark shroud x2

Ravenwing bikes with flamers

Land speeder duel heavy flamer

Black knights

Heavy - las devs

Relic sicaren

Flyers - dark tallon

Fire raptor .

So I think azrael is amazing just sitting next to tanks and devs. Giving everything twin linked and a 4+ +is amazing.

Samael is also great giving the rerolls to ravenwing. Great as he is fast so units don't need to stay near azrael.

Lascanon devs really are really good, especially when Twin linked . Las cannons are so good in this edition. Strength 9 means the wound nearly everything on 3's.

Dark tallon is really good. Prob better than the fire raptor for its points and can be if it from full rerolls from samael.

I'm not sure weather it's better to take bikes with flamers that can turbo boost getting a 5++ , can move 20 inches and fire . Or move normally and fire lots of bolters as well. The other option is to take 3x speeders with duel heavy flamer. Again can move 20 thanks to grav upwash and have the fly key word so can fall back etc. Both cost the same (bike squad =one speeder) , have same toughness and wounds . Really not sure which is better .

Over all the game ended end of turn 2 when he was tabled. The big guy when down very quickly to las cannons and everything else was assaulted .

So we just played power levels as it was only our second game. The list was really meant to try lots of different units out to get a feel for them.

The dark shrouds were just amazing especially now that modifiers happen after rerolls- means that his commander twin linking everything was not as effective. And running a flyers near them means they were -2 to hit.

I'm not sure about black knights - not sure if they are worth the points . They clearly are not as good as last edition where they were unkillable but maybe still good. Need to play more with them. He lack of hit and run may mean they get tied up.

Other things which kind of under performed . The librarian didn't do much. Cast aversion turn one on the taunar but otherwise did nothing. Not sure if he's worth the points.

Wasn't impressed with the deathwing knights either . They are a lot more survivable but still very slow and deep striking is very limited by screening units .

Overall I would say dark angels seem very strong. The hqs giving re rolls is very good . Especially on samael as he is fass and keeps up with everything. Dark shroud is amazing. Maybe 2 are needed as it will be the first thing most people will target. Apart from that multiple lascannons twin linked is really needed to take out armour / monsters in this edition. I was surprised just how quickly the taunar died to them even with him passing loads of 5++. Know it's a bit of a ramble of a post but it's interesting to see what people think is good and bad in the army in 8th

Aversion plus darkshroud plus azrael means nothing dies. Very strong. Even taunar can't hurt you. And as you discovered. In 8th everything dies

I too have found black knights not worth it. I went from running 20 in 7th to not using them at all now

Keep in mind you wouldn't be able to field a lot of what you did if you were playing matched play with points. Weapons add up very quickly.

I am inclined to agree on the Black Knights. Admittedly, I only had my first game of 8th with them today (against Harlequins) but they were ineffective compared to a regular bike squad when points cost was considered.

(I think they would be more useful against another Marine-type army, rather than the insane Invulnerable Save levels that the Harlequins have as standard)

The Dark Shroud and Dark Talon were absolutely the nuts, though. Sammael was great, but my MVP today was definitely the Interrogator Chaplain on Bike; He was just incredible in terms of buffing as well as being a beast in combat.

what do you guys think about bike squads with flamers and combo flamer. Seems much better in this edition.  at close range you get 14 bolted shots and 3d6 flamer hits for aprox 130points.  a couple of squads near samael would be very good for killing infantry getting his re rolls .  you can even changeout their bolt pistol for a chainsword for free for the extra attack.  If you are too far away from the enemy you can turbo boost and get the 5++ ( the new jink )and still use the flamer as they are assault weapons.  

Black knight squads are not that more expensive than this  though 

The other unit which seems to do the same is the speeders with  duel heavy flamers.  If you have 3 you get a 20 inch move. so thats 6d6 hits with a heavy flamer.  Its just under the cost of 3 bike squads. she amount of wounds , toughness and save as 3 bike squads.  Ive tried out the unit and the 20 inch movement is amazing at getting in peoples face turn 1.  also they have the fly key word so they can fall back etc.  Also no one will try and change this unit ( though guess they could try the 9 inch change to get them out of range.)