8th Ed. Relic Blade & Storm Shield

Tranc

Personally, I'd rather err on the side of caution. The use of the word its instead of a or any might very well mean the option is singular...

The word "its" is possessive and only singular in indicating the possessor not the possessee.  The word "chainsword" indicates a singular exchange.  The issue then comes back to "Can it only be done once if he gets another?"  The Chainsword is still "its chainsword", after all.

Personally, I'd rather err on the side of caution. The use of the word its instead of a or any might very well mean the option is singular...

The word "its" is possessive and only singular in indicating the possessor not the possessee.  The word "chainsword" indicates a singular exchange.  The issue then comes back to "Can it only be done once if he gets another?"  The Chainsword is still "its chainsword", after all.

Yet the word chainsword is singular. The rule doesn't say "its chainsword(s)", which is why I am led to believe its meant to refer to the model's default loadout, not any that might have been added afterwards.

All I'm saying is don't be too quick to assume you can, you might have to rework your model afterwads if you do...

All I'm saying is don't be too quick to assume you can, you might have to rework your model afterwads if you do...

What I'm going to say is that I've read the same two arguments rehashed for the last page or so: Debate on withier or not a captain can trade away multiple chainswords or just the one once.

While I lean toward allowing it, I can see where you could find ambiguity.

Where this leaves us is: consider this a soft closure. Unless you've got new evidence to bring to this thread further stumping or fear-mongering will lead to the use of moderation tools. Now, Gee-Dubs has been pretty good with being prompt to the FAQ with a little prompting so go forth and prompt them on this issue.

Yet the word chainsword is singular. The rule doesn't say "its chainsword(s)", which is why I am led to believe its meant to refer to the model's default loadout, not any that might have been added afterwards.

Unless you are swapping two chainswords to get one item, then this isn't really a consideration.  When you are swapping one chainsword for one item, even doing it twice, then you are still actually following the instruction to swap "its chainsword" for one single item.

For those building the models new, I agree.  But a lot of this was about models that already exist and were built to a previous standards which were very legal just a few months ago.

Archived