Base size rules?

Aziras

I am returning from a real-life incident hiatus. (20+ years, since 2nd ed. education, work, child all got in the way).

As I am trimming up my old army for returning duty there are a few wargear tweaks required. But then I thought about the bases.

Many of my models are on old bases whereas the new equivalent models have bigger bases (terminators for example). Other models have no bases at all, whereas the new models have bases (bikes and dreads).

I cannot find any specific rules on this topic, but did I overlook something?

There are rules regarding base-2-base contact, but then models like tanks are OK. Back in the days we just played with "sort of next to each other" and shooting range from weapon-2-target_model. The shooting range is how it is described as well, but no clear text on whether or not I have to base my non-based models.

Ideally I would sort out all this before I start to rework the models as some damage would be expected.

Welcome back!

There aren't any specific base rules anymore really; the only mention of them in the new edition rules is:

Distances in Warhammer 40,000 are measured in inches (") between the closest points of the bases of the models you’re measuring to and from. If a model does not have a base, such is the case with many vehicles, measure to and from the closest point of that model’s hull instead

And base-to-base contact is gone as well; you just need to be within 1" to be considered "locked in combat" now. 

Previous editions used to say something along the lines of "we assume you use the bases that the models come with, but you can use any appropriate sized base". So essentially, old metal Terminators on 25mm bases are fine, Terminators on 80mm monster bases are not. You're not obliged to re-base anything, or to base things that don't have bases already. The only consideration really is your own preference, and the uniformity of your force if you start adding new models to it.

Normally it´s no problem but it depends on the people you are playing with.

There are some who will say your models get an advantage of your bases. Just ignore them and search for other hobbyists to have fun with :D

There are no rules for "how to base a model correctly" so just find someone who don´t care about old models and bases.

Thanks both. I just wanted to make sure I had not overlooked some rule somewhere.

And certainly I would avoid playing against people who would make fuss about it, those people ruin all the fun of tabletop gaming.

If I get hooked again I will probably cycle most of the models anyway and retire most of the heavy stuffs. Magnets were not a thing back then, but the thought of having swappable parts is awesome. So I would end up with stuff on "correct" bases eventually.