I'm not sure if this is the right forum, moderati please move if required. 

So my local club seems to have a question on pistols. Can someone clarify for me on how they work in the indicated situation? If its a case of something that hasn't actually been defined and needs a house rule please let me know. 

Digital pg 180 states - "A model can fire a Pistol even if there are enemy units within 1" of its own unit, but it must target the closest enemy unit. In such circumstances, the model can shoot its Pistol even if other friendly units are within 1" of the same enemy unit."

The situation is as follows:

• Two units are locked in combat
  • The player who's turn it presently is comes around to the shooting phase.
  • They want to shoot the unit that charged them last turn with their pistols

Controversy:

• one side believes this means that a unit who was charged last turn could shoot in the shooting phase at the unit its locked with.
  • counter argument being that you can't shoot overwatch if your the unit locked in combat so how could you shoot them with your pistols ?

Controversy:

• one side believes this means that a unit who was charged last turn could shoot in the shooting phase at the unit its locked with.
  • counter argument being that you can't shoot overwatch if your the unit locked in combat so how could you shoot them with your pistols ?

Not controversial at all. That's how pistols work now. And why plasma pistols are worth it. They have nothing to do with overwatch, other than that you could conceivably decide to use a pistole in lieu of all other weapons a single model has to shoot its overwatch.

It's even explicitly stated:  

Pistols are carried one-handed and can even be used in a melee to shoot at point-blank range. Many warriors carry one as a sidearm, alongside their

primary weapon.

A model can fire a Pistol even if there are enemy units within 1" of its own unit, but it must target the closest enemy unit. In such circumstances, the model can shoot its Pistol even if other friendly units are within 1" of the same enemy unit.

Each time a model equipped with both a Pistol and another type of ranged weapon (e.g. a Pistol and a Rapid Fire weapon) shoots, it can either shoot with its Pistol(s) or with all of its other weapons. Choose which it will fire (Pistols or non-Pistols) before making hit rolls.

Emphasis mine 

Controversy:

•  
  •  
  •  

Not controverse at all. That's how pistols work now. And why plasma pistols are worth it. They have nothing to do with overwatch, other than that you could conceivably decide to use a pistole in lieu of all other weapons a single model has to shoot its overwatch.

It's even explicitly stated:  

Emphasis mine 

Pistols are carried one-handed and can even be used in a melee to shoot at point-blank range. Many warriors carry one as a sidearm, alongside their

primary weapon.

A model can fire a Pistol even if there are enemy units within 1" of its own unit, but it must target the closest enemy unit. In such circumstances, the model can shoot its Pistol even if other friendly units are within 1" of the same enemy unit.

Each time a model equipped with both a Pistol and another type of ranged weapon (e.g. a Pistol and a Rapid Fire weapon) shoots, it can either shoot with its Pistol(s) or with all of its other weapons. Choose which it will fire (Pistols or non-Pistols) before making hit rolls.

Archived