Carmine Blades: Little Help?

TheItalian567

Hey Guys,

Getting back into the hobby with 8th. I wanted to finish off my BA I started in 7th.

I have always loved the clean look of Ultramarines with white helmets, so when I saw Carmine Blades, I jumped at the idea of doing them.

I feel like I didn't do justice to the books interpretation, and I wanted to see what you guys have done/are doing for your Carmine Blades. Heads up: I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum! I figured it was correct, but I ... have been wrong before.

Here's what I'm working with:

http://imgur.com/ypPUC3v
http://imgur.com/VsEUgLL
http://imgur.com/29124Og < probably the best representation

I went with a build up from Zandri Dust, but I think I need to go the route that they show how to paint Sang. Priest armor: Building up to Pallid Wych Flesh/White Scar highlights.

Let me know your thoughts! i'm trying to get to painting the next round of Tac marines, but I wanted to revisit these guys from a year or so ago, and try and get them right.

Thanks so much in advance guys. I've been pouring over the 8th edition thoughts and it's been helping so much

Hey man! So I have done my Blades two different ways so far...I prefer the newest method.

Here was my first go around:

gallery_70131_10318_8095.jpg

For the white, I primed white, used a blue tint, and then sprayed white downwards. I've gone back and added a little shading with drakenhoff nightshade on some for a little more depth.

For my priest, and what I am going to do from now on I have done this:

gallery_70131_10318_243196.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_1042453.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_946586.jpg

(Obviously still WIP). But I started by zenithal priming Mordian blue, then ultramarine blue and base coating with the Fang. Then I built up to white and washed the recesses with 50:50 the Fang/glaze medium.

oOh Man! You're the guy! You're the one I've been seeing on Google Images!!

Those are so good man, I love them- I'm very envious.

So do you definitely see that as a white in the book rather than an "off-white?"

You're saying you did the whole model in black, but then did the head with white, then drakenhof, then filled in with white again? that's pretty bold! i've only ever dabbled with building up from grays with edge highlighting with white. white can be pretty scary.

i do everything with manual brushes, so i'm not familiar with air brushing unfortunately =/

on your priest you're saying you started from blue and up!? that's insane!

Thanks man! I really appreciate that. And I do see it as a white, not an off white (such as Blood Ravens). For the top guys, I primed white, then used a transparent blue (badger air plasma fluid) and sprayed up from the bottom. Then I sprayed dead white from the top. THEN I went back in with nightshade to pick out the recesses and give a little more depth.

For the priest I started black, then zenithal primed blue, then covered that with the Fang, which is a nice blue-grey. Then built up to white. I think it looks nicer/smoother than my original recipe.

You can probably pull it off with brushes...it will just take a lot of blending/layering.

His method is good. This is how mine looks;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLNsqnRhi8G/

Did you use the above method?!

Thanks man! I really appreciate that. And I do see it as a white, not an off white (such as Blood Ravens). For the top guys, I primed white, then used a transparent blue (badger air plasma fluid) and sprayed up from the bottom. Then I sprayed dead white from the top. THEN I went back in with nightshade to pick out the recesses and give a little more depth.

For the priest I started black, then zenithal primed blue, then covered that with the Fang, which is a nice blue-grey. Then built up to white. I think it looks nicer/smoother than my original recipe.

You can probably pull it off with brushes...it will just take a lot of blending/layering.

Oh man- are those non-citadel colors too!? My brain! my brand! I really love the affect of air brushes, I should really move in that direction, but there's something pleasing about the manual haha.

If I wanted to replicate this w/ manual citadel colors... lets say the latter method: Black primer > Blue (Macragge?)  or Fang? > Drakenhof Nightshade > Ulthuan Grey (for maybe a "darker white" shade) > edge highlight with White?

Haha yea, I use a mix of paints - badger, VMC, citadel...pretty much whatever suits my fancy at the time. And I totally understand - I do a mix of airbrush and regular brushing - the robes on the priest are not airbrushed.

I would say to replicate the second method, you would need at least a spray can of macragge blue to really do a good zenithal priming. Then I would base coat with the fang (its citadel!) And then slowly layer up to white, no nightshade required. I would go fang - 50:50 fang/space wolf grey and then space wolf grey, highlight white. And then mix the fang an glaze medium if you wanted to wash the recesses again. Hope this helps!

I'm going to try Prime/base coat with Army painters Dragon red then base the white with uniform grey and build up with ash grey, any one work with those paints before? Would those be a good layer to build on? I plan on using a dark shade before i start painting the grey base.

My main problem is figuring out how to distinguish my Sergeants/Vet, Captains and LT's. I don't imagine Carmine blades as adherent to BA markings. (My Carmine blades are all Primaris)

Thanks OP I'm in the same boat as you, both in inspiration and limited to brushed painting only :D

I am in the same boat with markings...I have done a furioso and a deredeo and sicaran (I'll post some pics later). Gold works well with the white trim...but yellow and blue don't. Nor do black interiors of the shoulders. What I was looking at were ultramarine markings, as the Blades believed themselves to be from rowboat seed. So I am experimenting with red helms for sergeants, leaving the white for asms and devs, and using gold to distinguish vets/other leaders. Or maybe adding a white strip to a red helm or vice versa. I'll do up some test models! Edited by keeblerartillery

I'm going to try Prime/base coat with Army painters Dragon red then base the white with uniform grey and build up with ash grey, any one work with those paints before? Would those be a good layer to build on? I plan on using a dark shade before i start painting the grey base.

My main problem is figuring out how to distinguish my Sergeants/Vet, Captains and LT's. I don't imagine Carmine blades as adherent to BA markings. (My Carmine blades are all Primaris)

Thanks OP I'm in the same boat as you, both in inspiration and limited to brushed painting only :biggrin.:

Absolutely my brotha! :D So the Primaris Mairnes have actually inspired me quite a bit lately- and this is something i've seen on them- but what about just a single stripe or maybe double stripes on the top crest of the helmet? Red on the white field would look really sharp and stand out.

Alternatively, all gold helmets is always an option.

I had thought of the Sang Guard doing them in the same colors of the army: red wings, off-white/white armor, with a heavy black "top" of the wing (the steel part that holds the 'feathers')

I use fancy shoulders to help identify my sergeants.

and to answer the previous question.

For the Red I went Mephiston, Agrax, Evil Sun Scarlet, for the white, I went Celestal gray, to Ulthaun, nuln oil, tidy up ulthuan, then edge high light with white scar.

I have a tutorial on how I paint my white on this board. I'm in the Dominican Republic right now and internet is really spotty.

Ah, here we are.

www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322595-htp-carmine-blade-helmets-dbh-style/?fromsearch=1

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten