Space Wolf & Blood Angels combo

TheDuck

Greetings, sons of Sanguinius! I've come over from the Space Wolf section of the forum, to ask for some advice on building a Blood Angels battalion, to complement my Space Wolf forces. Quite frankly, I have little experience with Blood Angels, as no one in my local gaming circles seem to play them. I'm mostly aiming to create an assault force, to work together with my Hammernator/Wolf guard/Land Raider heavy assault list. I was thinking maybe of taking a battalion composed of two big blobs of two 10 man units of sanguinary guard, one led by Dante and the other led by The Sanguinor, with one supported by a Sanguinary Priest and the other by a Sanguinary Guard Ancient in a Battalion, but even that's rather iffy for me. Any advice would be much appreciated!

That'd have to be done in a Vanguard detachment, unless you're just using "Adeptus Astartes" keyword for your Battalion. That'd be fine. I love how the Sanguinary Guard work in 8th. They're not the beat stick that you get with the Wulfen, but they're what we've got. I'd say do what you think is fun, and don't look back! The models are great and unique. As for Dante and the Sanguinor, I'm hoping we get some recasts in the near future, but if not that's cool too. Dante is hands down my favorite bro of the Blood Angels. His novel is great too, FYI.

Welcome, and good luck!

Go back to your stinky wolf-cage, pup!  We are a noble and dignified chapter; we don't mingle with hairy drunkards.

Ok, but now, seriously, what do you hope to gain from dipping into Blood Angels? What is lacking that you need to complement with?  (I ask this sincerely as I know little about Space Pups)

@Rocmistro It's partly thematic, since I like the blood angels aesthetic, but in my current force, which is largely composed of Terminators, Wolf Guard, and the Land Raiders transporting them, I'm lacking some more mobile troops that can get in their fast. Terminators can teleport in, and wipe out a unit first or second turn, but they have a tough time getting anywhere footslogging afterwards, so I'm looking for something with some extra mobility and a good amount of offensive power. Thunder Wolf Cav aren't terrible for this role, but they have to get up the field, which would leave my terminators alone for a couple of turns. Sanguinary Guard or possibly Death Company seem like they may fill the role nicely, since they can drop in like Terminators, and have more mobility after the fact.

Haven't tried them myself, but everybody here seems to be raving about company/vanguard vets with storm shields. They are fast, can deep strike, and the company vets can be loaded out to be shooty so they get to do something when they land rather than fail a charge roll.

@Rocmistro It's partly thematic, since I like the blood angels aesthetic, but in my current force, which is largely composed of Terminators, Wolf Guard, and the Land Raiders transporting them, I'm lacking some more mobile troops that can get in their fast. Terminators can teleport in, and wipe out a unit first or second turn, but they have a tough time getting anywhere footslogging afterwards, so I'm looking for something with some extra mobility and a good amount of offensive power. Thunder Wolf Cav aren't terrible for this role, but they have to get up the field, which would leave my terminators alone for a couple of turns. Sanguinary Guard or possibly Death Company seem like they may fill the role nicely, since they can drop in like Terminators, and have more mobility after the fact.

A death company force that has a few pieces of 'adopted' Wolf Guard bits would probably look :cussing awesome; they might have pelt capes on them since they were fighting on an ice world with the Space Wolves and had the capes for when they were out of armor and were  gifted them by Wolves in honor of a great battle they fought, but now they've given over to their crazed side alongside some wolves (Maybe get a squad of Wulfen to REALLY complement the "oh :cuss our heroes are going bat:cuss" motif of Death Company) and they will be your jetpack in and smash them to smithereens force you might be looking for.

Welcome Space Wolf ! Try the wine...

Chapters with afflictions and attitudes like ours belong together *nod.

I haven't read the recent Wolf Codex or digested your bit in the index, but can totally see where perhaps more capable jump troops would be a good addition to your forces.

I have thought off and on over the years about a Space Wolves table force to supplement my forces so I see where you are going from the other side.

Now would probably be better than ever for you with 8th edition reserve control and placement.

The advice about Jump Pack Company Veterans is good and currently Blood Angels only. These can also be kept a small force perhaps.

Any Space Marines can bring the Vanguard Vets so have a look at all those toys SM get too.

Sang Priests +1 Strength buff is pretty decent with the new damage tables and unique for our troops so maybe a reason for them.

Those priests go great with Sanguinary Guard and an Ancient also.

Sanguinor > Dante but prolly neither works too well for an smallish allied force I'm thinking.

Death Company are cheapish point wise and can be quite decent with a chaplain.

Check out Lemartes if you go with the Death Company and want a named feller for a small force.

I think I would wait on the codex before I went too far building stuff really.

Anyhow, be careful.

Our fluff and the red are very addicting =)

Welcome Space Wolf ! Try the wine...

Chapters with afflictions and attitudes like ours belong together *nod.

I haven't read the recent Wolf Codex or digested your bit in the index, but can totally see where perhaps more capable jump troops would be a good addition to your forces.

I have thought off and on over the years about a Space Wolves table force to supplement my forces so I see where you are going from the other side.

Now would probably be better than ever for you with 8th edition reserve control and placement.

The advice about Jump Pack Company Veterans is good and currently Blood Angels only. These can also be kept a small force perhaps.

Any Space Marines can bring the Vanguard Vets so have a look at all those toys SM get too.

Sang Priests +1 Strength buff is pretty decent with the new damage tables and unique for our troops so maybe a reason for them.

Those priests go great with Sanguinary Guard and an Ancient also.

Sanguinor > Dante but prolly neither works too well for an smallish allied force I'm thinking.

Death Company are cheapish point wise and can be quite decent with a chaplain.

Check out Lemartes if you go with the Death Company and want a named feller for a small force.

I think I would wait on the codex before I went too far building stuff really.

Anyhow, be careful.

Our fluff and the red are very addicting =)

Haha, I'll be careful. At any rate, I was thinking of closer to maybe 750, 1000 pts? Would be using the battalion in 2500pt+ games

I'm going the other way: I have Blood Angels and picked up some Wolves for a detachment.

My focus for BA is on speed. Jump Packs everywhere, they're fantastic for getting around the battlefield as you already mentioned and are thematic.

As others have said, I'd go with our unique units. JP Company Vets with plasma/melts, Death Company, maybe some Sanguinary Guard. Our psychic powers have good unit buffs to run alongside (good synergy with either DC or SG).

I'm leaning towards Sanguinary Guard, but that's almost entirely because I like their aesthetic. As far as actually making use of them, I'm thinking I'd just take a blob of 20 of them, supported by a Sanguinary Priest, an SG Ancient, and led by the Sanguinor. What do you all think, would that be effective?