Stormraven disembarking

Halfpint100

Just noticed something when planning to use stormravens. What are the rules with disembarking? I cannot find anything anywhere about disembarking while they are flying or anything about transports only being able to disembark when hovering. 

If i am correct, then this means that you can disembark from flyers without them landing.......

Has anyone found anything about this that i might have missed?

The 'disembark before move' thing is particularly sucky for Stormravens though, whose whole purpose from a transport point of view is to get stuff around fast...

Still, I guess at least you can start it on the board, move into position and disembark before it moves the following turn.

Maybe it's not so sucky after all ...

Edited by LutherMax

My first game of 8th I was facing a Deathwatch army using my [redacted by Inquisition] and their Corvus flew straight across the table behind my setup T1 shooting all the way, then the embarked unit(s) got out the following turn and charged into my flank. Flyers with transport capacity are a great way to almost guarantee a T2 charge, provided you don't fly straight into enemy anti-armour.

Edited by NTaW

What people don't realize is droppods set-up the 9 inches from any enemy models then the units inside disembark up to 3 inches, closing the gab for some weapons that deepstriking would put out of range.

What people don't realize is droppods set-up the 9 inches from any enemy models then the units inside disembark up to 3 inches, closing the gab for some weapons that deepstriking would put out of range.

A unit disembarking from a pod still needs to remain outside 9" of the enemy. It's in the pod rules.

Edited by Brother_Angelus

I'm afraid you've got that wrong; from the drop pod rules: "Any models embarked inside must immediately disembark, but they must be setup more than 9" away from any enemy models."

Stormravens are amazing right now. Truly a tier 1 unit.

Start on the board

No stupid reserve rolls

No need to hover to disembark

Can hold loads of dudes

If you do blow up, your guys get out as easily as as a rhino - no S10 hits per model or whatever.

20" minimum move is easy to manage - rarely a risk of them ever having to hover

45" maximum move gets you where you need to go (or out of where you shouldn't have gone!)

Stormstrike missiles aren't one use only - 2 shots a turn

Hurricane bolters are practically free and buckets'o'dice

Amazing.

They only really have one use now – giving Deep Strike to units that can't get it otherwise. And yes, for us that isn't many units as we have good access to jump packs; but you can still put Tactical, Devastator and Sternguard in them to name a few, which could be useful in certain situations.

As RedemptionNL said the lack of normal pods for Dreads is a shame, but perhaps 8th Ed is the age of the Stormraven...