Understrength Units

Schlitzaf

Due to the recent FAQ, a change in the rules you are able to save points by understrengthing a unit. My question is the following;

Can I have two Understrength Units I plan on running, 1 Primaris Interceptor Squad (2 Man), and 1 Imperial Gaurd Heavy Weapon Team (2 Man).

Furthermore by RAW I can only take understrength units if I literally don't own the models required for a "minimum" strength unit. How strictly will that be enforced? If at all.

Additionally sense this rule change enables cheap "Command Points" by taking 1 model units to fill slots on the chart. Admittedly you'd have to play musical armies by drawing from a variety of different armies to fill slots. Or will you all plan on soft banning understrength units during your games?

Edited by Schlitzaf

I think the simple rule of don't be a duck should be enough to stop people from abusing this rule. Also if someone plays against me with say a unit of 9 space marines and a unit of 1 space marine I'm just going to laugh in there face.... I also don't see CPs being that much of an advantage to be a duck over

Due to the recent FAQ, a change in the rules you are able to save points by understrengthing a unit. My question is the following;

Can I have two Understrength Units I plan on running, 1 Primaris Interceptor Squad (2 Man), and 1 Imperial Gaurd Heavy Weapon Team (2 Man).

Furthermore by RAW I can only take understrength units if I literally don't own the models required for a "minimum" strength unit. How strictly will that be enforced? If at all.

Addittiibally sense this rule change enables cheap "Command Points" by taking 1 model units to fill slots on the chart. Admittedly you'd have to play musical armies by drawing from a variety of different armies to fill slots. Or will you all plan on soft banning understrength units during your games?

The sanest and most balanced way of doing this is probably limiting the number of understrength units allowed to 1.

I think the simple rule of don't be a duck should be enough to stop people from abusing this rule. Also if someone plays against me with say a unit of 9 space marines and a unit of 1 space marine I'm just going to laugh in there face.... I also don't see CPs being that much of an advantage to be a duck over

Ducks really are shocking opponents, don't get me started on geese either.

I think a no wildfowl rule in 40k is well overdue.

Maybe an exception for Moorhens as I think they look funny and don't seem to be as blatant with their rule breaking.

I think it is meant to cover scenarios where a player wants to run a detachment that requires 3 Troops choices but they only own 14 Tactical Marines.

The Understrength unit rule makes it possible for them to run 2 units of 5 and 1 unit of 4 and be able to use the detachment. It seems deliberately designed for new players who probably don't have large collections yet.

Pffft, just wait for the Deathwatch kill teams without any veterans, that average t5, and all have m10, while being able to disengage shoot and charge back in... All while being troops.

They really should have not made this a rule that applies with the "advanced rules".

Pffft, just wait for the Deathwatch kill teams without any veterans, that average t5, and all have m10, while being able to disengage shoot and charge back in... All while being troops.

They really should have not made this a rule that applies with the "advanced rules".

Or just made you pay minimum cost for the unit, even when playing points (or at least for unequipped bodies to fill out the rest of the unit).

Or just made you pay minimum cost for the unit, even when playing points (or at least for unequipped bodies to fill out the rest of the unit).

That would have been the best approach

While it's obviously intended for players without extensive collections what's to stop me turning up with 3 units of a single Grey Hunter and avoiding any troop tax while still getting extra command points.

2 things, 1. those 3 guys could be in 1 unit. And 2. Finding someone to play with

While it's obviously intended for players without extensive collections what's to stop me turning up with 3 units of a single Grey Hunter and avoiding any troop tax while still getting extra command points.

2 things, 1. those 3 guys could be in 1 unit. And 2. Finding someone to play with

Nothing's says they have to be in 1 unit.

It doesn't work like that though, the worst abuses of 7th were played somewhere and these people still got games.

You can only have one of an understrength unit type, so only one grey hunter on his own, only one deathwatch veteran squad with no veterans etc.

The big one is going to be kill points however, and losing out on effectiveness of rules and options.

Yeah I could take a tactical squad as one model to fill a slot, but a stray bolt round could easily take him out and since everyone has split fire that's not hard to come by. That's also another deployment drop meaning unless you have a transport to cram all those understrength units into you're going second more often, and coughing up first blood every game.

You can only have one of an understrength unit type, so only one grey hunter on his own, only one deathwatch veteran squad with no veterans etc.

The big one is going to be kill points however, and losing out on effectiveness of rules and options.

Yeah I could take a tactical squad as one model to fill a slot, but a stray bolt round could easily take him out and since everyone has split fire that's not hard to come by. That's also another deployment drop meaning unless you have a transport to cram all those understrength units into you're going second more often, and coughing up first blood every game.

Where does it say you can only have 1 of an understrength unit type?

Don't get me wrong, I think there should be a limit. In fact I think you should pay the minimum unit cost regardless

Where does it say you can only have 1 of an understrength unit type?

Don't get me wrong, I think there should be a limit. In fact I think you should pay the minimum unit cost regardless

if this is the case, you can still include one unit

of that type in your army with as many models as you
have available.