Rules questions from first 8th Edition Game

RastlinD

I have been a long term hammer player (Since 4th Edition) and just played my first game of 8th Edition and I have a couple of rules questions/clarifications that I hope my fellow Bolter and Chainsword members can help clear up. 

1. I can not find this stated anywhere in the rules but are you able to shoot at a unit and then charge a different unit? For example, if a unit shoots and completly destroys its target can it charge a different unit? 
  2. If I completely destroy a unit in close combat can I use consolidation to move into combat with another unit that is not currently engaged? For example, I charge a unit with only two models left and destroy the unit. Do I get a consolidation move? If an enemy unit is within 3 inches can I move into base to base with them? 

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by RastlinD

1. Yes you can split fire 5 different units and then charge as many units you like, whether you shot at them or not. There is no requirement to charge the unit you shot.

2. Even if you don't completely destroy a unit you get your 3inch consolidate move at the end of the assault phase, which you can use to engage another enemy unit if you wish! Forcing them to either fight you in combat or break from combat and suffer the penalty of not being able to shoot or assault that turn.