Priming sanguinary guards + priest

dread05

Well, as the topic says, what would be the ideal spray primer for these models? I've seen brown for the guards and white for the priest, but I'd rather buy one for both.

As a side note, how does it sound to paint the priest golden like the guards? Like, he's the priest of the sanguinary guard.

I thought about that, but I saw a tutorial where he started of from brown primer and worked the gold with balthasar gold and gehena's gold and I liked the result. I'm just not sure what to do with the priest. If I pant him gold I guess I can do the same, If I go with white tho, the brown primer might stain it.

I thought about that, but I saw a tutorial where he started of from brown primer and worked the gold with balthasar gold and gehena's gold and I liked the result. I'm just not sure what to do with the priest. If I pant him gold I guess I can do the same, If I go with white tho, the brown primer might stain it.

Do you have a link for that? The one I mentioned can be found here.

As for white, provided you put something down like a mid grey, then Ulthuan Grey will apply over it nicely and there's your white sorted.

I have different experiences. I never had a problem with sprayed primer on bare plastic, the one time I tried imperial primer on a marine, I ended up stripping it with dettol. The primer would leave tiny bits, and it would scrape even by touching it.

Unless you mean retributor armor spray is not a primer, which I have no idea about :P

Also these tip of the day videos look like a quick way to get things done, not the proper way if you get my meaning.

Edited by dread05

Also these tip of the day videos look like a quick way to get things done, not the proper way if you get my meaning.

If you call a shade and 3 layers of highlights the quick way to get things done, I hate to see the proper way!

dread05, where are you located?

I recommend auto-primers (ie acrylic sprays intended for cars) over so-called 'wargaming' sprays since they're no different quality-wise (jn fact Hycote Matte Black primer, gets a smoother coat than any 'wargaming' primers I've used) and generally significantly cheaper 

If you're UK-based then Halfords or Hycote have a wide range of sprays, including brown.

Unless you mean retributor armor spray is not a primer, which I have no idea about :tongue.:

I've never seen anything positive written about Imperial Primer . Brush on is always less resilient to handling than spray, but if you're going to do it use pretty much any other brand.

Someone else would be able to better explain the difference,but, suffice it to say, GWs coloured sprays aren't primers

I recommend auto-primers (ie acrylic sprays intended for cars) over so-called 'wargaming' sprays since they're no different quality-wise (jn fact Hycote Matte Black primer, gets a smoother coat than any 'wargaming' primers I've used) and generally significantly cheaper 

If you're UK-based then Halfords or Hycote have a wide range of sprays, including brown.

Greece sadly

Greece sadly

I mean, it's not essential to use those specific ones, I just know those two as good UK examples, so if you were here they'd be good to go for, but any reputable auto-primer should do the trick (by reputable, I guess I mean a widely used, recognisable brand name rather than some 99 cent no-name brand.

I've used the retributor gold spray on both my command squad and sanguinary guard and I think it looks just fine.  I always feel I have a problem with paint layers getting thick (that might just be my heavy hand), so the fewer layers I have to build up the better (ie, gold primer is better than <other primer color> + gold base layer)

There's two purposes for a primer layer for modelling. The first is to 'key' the surface for painting. Plastic isn't particularly grippy for paint, so you need something to both grip to it, and provide a grip surface for the next layer. You don't actually need much for this purpose - a light dust or mist coat is usually sufficient. We don't need to worry about sealing the surface, as it's already waterproof. You do however want a paint that's specifcally designed to prime hard surfaces. Car body acrylic sprays are generally good and cheap, you can pick up artist's spray primers, or of course wargaming specific coloured ones such as army painter. Citadel's own have a slightly dodgy reputation, which certainly has been deserved at times. Having the model clean and free of any oil or mold release agent will also help the primer's job. 

The second purpose is to provide a solid base colour for the next layer. Gold tends to be quite a transparent colour, particularly in acrylics, so whatever is underneath will tend to tint the result. This is why a warmish brown is the traditional base under-colour for gold - it covers well itself, yet provides a nicer gold shade than grey, black or white. But this function doesn't have to be done by the primer if you're not doing a lot of them - it's purely a time saving to have both functions in one paint.

So what you can do is spray prime with a light coat of whatever you already have - light enough you can still see the plastic somewhat - and then base over that once it's dry with a warm brown. Something like mournfang off the top of my head. Then go ahead with gehena's etc. Or get a straight brown primer spray, but that's a bit of a waste if you only need it for a handful of models.

People are suggesting retributor as it's actually a newer addition to citadel's range, and it covers much better on its own without needing a brown underlayer to keep its shade so can go straight over whatever primer. I've not tried the spray version, but that supposedly also works as a primer too, so 3 layers in 1 for stormhost models.

Edited by Arkhanist

I've decided to go with corax white, since it was the easiest thing I could get my hands on. I tried it on a couple of snap fit marines to see how it spreads. I found out that when used from the distance I'm used to spraying chaos black, it gave out a chalky, powdery layer, like it was already half dry when it was touching the model, which was a no no. When I used it from half the distance though, the coating was almost as good as it is with chaos black. Has anyone used Corax white before? Can you confirm that indeed it needs to be sprayed from a closer distance?

Ok. after going through the internets about corax white giving a dustly result on the mini's, I'm pretty terrified to spray my models. Most people say that spraying it from 20cm  distance will prevent that (with chaos black I usually did that from 40-50 cm away with no problems), others say its the heat and the humidity. Too much stress for priming 6 mini's. Mind you, I'm used to stripping models with dettol if I dont like the undercoat, but on the guards and the priest I dont think I can do that without breaking every little blood drop that's hanging from them or snapping the wings off.

others say its the heat and the humidity

It's this. Pretty much all sprays suffer from being used in these conditions.

It's summer in Greece, its always hot and humid. I got to wait till octomber to spray them? :O

Spray in the early morning or late evening when its cooler. And/or inside a sheltered area, like a garage or shed (before the heat builds up!) It's what it looks like - the paint is drying partially midair leaving a powdery finish. Spraying closer will help, as you've discovered, but it means you need to speed up your 'sweeps' across the models so you deposit less paint in one go and don't drown the model. Shaking the can more (i.e. 60 seconds or more) should also help a bit. Always do a test spray on some scrap plastic or cardboard before you do the minis.

I've switched to airbrush priming these days precisely because aircan sprays are so sensitive to weather - I have the opposite problem in england, too cold and wet most of the time! But it's not a cheap method.

I've also switched to biostrip 20 instead of dettol - that stuff is amazing, far less scrubbing required.