Sanguinary Priest loadout

Karhedron

I am planning a Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack to accompany my Sanguinary Guard for healing and that handy +1S but I cannot decide what to equip him with. One the one hand, he has decent combat stats and that WS2+ is making me thing a TH/SS would be handy. But if he fails a roll to revive a squad member, he can do nothing else for the turn meaning any wargear is wasted. Should I just give him a cheap Power Sword and leave the heavy lifting to the rest of the squad?

Totally running mine with power sword. Str5 AP -3 is pretty good for the pts.

I think it was powersword & chainsword actually, but I am not on that computer to check.

Powersword and chainsword buffed to str5 is good stuff just can't remember if the priest actually does or not also currently.

Not being able to act if recovering geneseeds is part of the reason too.

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

I'm about to do exactly the same. I'll stick with his chainsword and I'll give him a plasma pistol to go along the plasma pistols of the guard. Now, if I understood things correctly, you can pick the priest as your warlord. That gives him another attack? With the chainsword he can do a :cussload of melee attacks.

I run him with a jump pack and power fist, I don't bother with the shield because most of the time whatever him and his unit charge don't get to fight back..

Hits on 3's with power fist with rerolls if your doing it right.

I'll be running my priests bare-bones. Chainsword+bolt pistol. He is there to do two things. Return wounds to my warlord and return models to my units. If he passes his roll I still get 4? attacks with a str 5 chainsword. If he doesn't pass the check then I'm not wasting points really.

Though I can see giving him a power sword. They are cheap enough that it won't really matter if he can't attack. And if he can the -3AP S5 is really nice.

Edited by Aothaine

My Priest built for 7th has a Jump Pack, Fist and Storm Bolter.

He used to sit at the back of a unit of SG + Dante to give them all FnP. For 8th I'm thinking of changing that to Dante shielded by a group of TH/SS Vets going monster hunting, in which case the +1A would be very useful. Though with the JP he could also "deep strike" in with a bunch of teleporting Terminators if wanted.

I'm not going to rebuild this guy as I did some custom work on it, but might have to add a 2nd with a bit more points efficient build to run with SG.

The SG is less valuable with Vets as they are 1 wound meaning you can never heal, you have to gamble on a 4+ roll to bring them back. SG and Terminators both have 2 wounds so there is a 50% chance you will have a wounded model to heal which is more reliable.

I am thinking Dante pairs well with TH/SS Company Vets while SG work well with a Priest and Ancient (one of which should be the Warlord). That is 2 extremely hard-hitting units.

I am thinking Dante pairs well with TH/SS Company Vets while SG work well with a Priest and Ancient (one of which should be the Warlord). That is 2 extremely hard-hitting units.

It really does feel that way, but fluff-wise it should be the other way around :/

It really does feel that way, but fluff-wise it should be the other way around :/

I dunno. The Sanguinary Guard are their own organisation. Back in the day, Dante normally ran with a gold-helmed Command Squad. It would seem odd not having Dante as your Warlord but when building a competitive army rules > fluff. :tongue.:

Well,

In every battle, he will be seen at the head of his praetorians, the Blood Angels of the Sanguinary Guard, whose golden armour matches his own.

and also, company vets are supposed to belong in a company, you know? Dante is not a part of any company :P

Edited by dread05

I dunno. The Sanguinary Guard are their own organisation. Back in the day, Dante normally ran with a gold-helmed Command Squad. It would seem odd not having Dante as your Warlord but when building a competitive army rules > fluff. :tongue.:

That was until the Sanguinary Guard woke up from their 10,000 year nap, the lazy sods, and the Blood Angels remembered they existed. :p

I am planning a Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack to accompany my Sanguinary Guard for healing and that handy +1S but I cannot decide what to equip him with. One the one hand, he has decent combat stats and that WS2+ is making me thing a TH/SS would be handy. But if he fails a roll to revive a squad member, he can do nothing else for the turn meaning any wargear is wasted. Should I just give him a cheap Power Sword and leave the heavy lifting to the rest of the squad?

That's what I did. I've been fine with the results. In 8th where its difficult to target a single character I think it lends itself as an even better option.

Wait a second.

Sanguinary Priests can heal each other.....

So... Lets say you deploy a biker unit right? and deep strike the rest of your forces

The bikers deal with hordes (Chainswords + S5 + T5 + 2W) have two Sang priests on bikes with Thunder Hammers and give the sergeant a Thunder hammer as well. 

Gonna have to look into this more. Not sure if the stat increase would be worth the cost. You would also want to bring at least 1 librarian on bike to buff the biker unit that is soaking the damage... the only reason this because worth it is because of the chalice +1S from the Priests though. Maybe a Libby Dreadnought and some deep striking Terminators? This list is already going to have massive problems with flyers though... so... hmm...

For 5 more points, the ability to reroll wounds (now on both vehicles and infantry!!) for a lightning claw is really worth it, I feel. And if you're not getting a shooty weapon, then consider 2 Claws for 13 points total.  Really solid with the strength boost.

If you are running a priest on foot (no jump pack) then i really like corbulo for just 5 meltabombs more than the basic priest. Had a great game yesterday with 5 powerweapon vets and his self re-roll ability is awesome for making sure he can get people back up and stay in the fight.

Sadly though, he can't take a jump pack. For a JP priest, I would want to keep it cheap and cheerful, but a powersword and plasma pistol combo isn't too pricey in 8th.

(As a side note, im tempted to get a sanguinary priest with combi plasma and keep them with a 5-man plasma gun assault squad, so i can hang back and target elite units with them. Then the priest can pick up marines when their plasmaguns explode.)