Squad markings and weapon options - how to make it work?

Aziras

So I am dusting off my old DA army to try and find some local games (life allows me the time now).

My problem is how to "convert" my old painted army to the new list building options. Going to use tactical squads as example, but the same applies to assault and devastator squads.

Back in 2nd ed, tactical squads were 10-man and could be combat squad'ed, but no flexible squad sizes. I have a few tac squads and they are painted oldschool (3rd company markings and squad numbers). The squads have different loadouts of special and heavy weapons, but not magnetized, I have multiple models instead.

All have shoulder pads with tactical squad marking and squad number (generic DA wing on the left pad). Google the 2nd ed DA tac squad and that is pretty much how they look. (except I also put a 2nd banner on the combat squad leader as a mini-serge).

I have 3 of these squads, with different combinations of loadouts.

The simple fix is to supplement a few extra models in each squad (weapon options) and then run them as 5-10 models. But looking at the list building, I see that I may need to run 4+ squads of 5 for some formations.

The simple fix would be to just get another tac squad kit or two and build some more options for each squad. But that is a lot of excess painting. And I would also rather spend my time on some of the new models that I do not have. Magnetizing also seems like way too much work and likely much easier to just paint up a bunch of extras.

And then comes the challenge of heavy weapons in tac's vs devastator squads. The new models are nicer (hip-shooting instead of top-shoulder mounted) so I want to replace all my heavy weapons with the new ones. But that means a need for a LOT of models.

Example, I want the option to add heavy bolters to my squads AND a heavy bolter dev squad:

3x heavy bolter models for my tac squads (different shoulder pads)

4x heavy bolter models for a dev squad (dev squad #1)

Then if I want to field two dev squads I need dev squad #2 markings (lascannons?) and I will then not be able to mix and create a squad with 2 of each.

Magnetizing shoulder pads on heavy weapon models seems like a massive pain. It looks like I will end up with a huge number of models just to cover various list configurations. Cost aside, the main issue is painting and storage. Special weapons and sgt weapon options seems easy enough to magnetize at elbows or wrists, but the heavy weapons are tricky.

Has anyone solved this dilemma and found a way to make use of any marines in a pile to form arbitrary squad configurations while still maintaining the company structure markings?

If your gonna use squad markings and you don't want to break those squads then you have to magnetize all the weapon options or have multiple. to b honest it's crazy cause every time you wanna adjust your list you are gonna have to buy new models haha

If you don't want to buy/paint  spare models and if you are set on keeping the squad/company markings then there is no solution to your dilemma unless you magnetize weapons... or magnetize /putty the shoulder pads.

Best of luck!