So snipers.....

Good to see people aren't afraid of thrying new "old" stuff instead of dismissing them because of their performances in past editions.

My experiences with scout snipers so far have been positive. So far they are doing their job and a bit better than in previous editions, now that moral wounds don't allow any kind of save .

I'l continue to play with them because they have been stuck inside a box for too long.

I think having snipers like this will be a major facet of most all comers lists going forward as some characters are just so good as force multipliers. Haven't ran scout snipers yet but I have ran rangers in most of my Eldar lists and I will continue doing so. Being able to take a missile launcher with the scouts will just make them that much better IMO

It is not just that snipers are good, it is that their speciality targets are really good.

Buff auras are super awesome. Anything that is tailored to "remove auras" will automatically be pretty decent.

It will take a little while for people to tweak their lists to be: A) Less dependent on those auras, and B) more capable of dealing with the snipers.

Until then, it will be a good source of fun to pick on their prized characters.

Some armies are more reliant on it than others. Armies like Primaris can win with stats, whereas softer armies like Chaos may need the support. Heck, even Primaris will find it hard without buffs. I think it won't be a case of not taking buffs, but instead play surgical removal (like Intercessors for Primaris, Wyvern for IG, etc.) to remove them asap. Edited by Immersturm

I love that you can more reliably move and shoot with them now (-1 to hit). Before I was mostly turned off about using snipers but I did like the scouts and wanted some for my loyalist army.

My next plan is to have a commander and a Primaris lieutenant around for re-recorded hit and to would. I guess with 15 snipers I can reliably decapitate the opponent command chain provided they are on foot ( which seems to be usual now).

Wish me luck... I'll report back...

I used 10 Snipers along my Primaris against Necrons. They did alright, but I barely shot characters with them, as I needed more wounds on those Annihilator Barges. The 6s did not come reliably though and those few times they shot a character they did very little, but that may be due to Living Metal and 2+ saves abs T5. Need to do more testing, but chances are they may be overhyped. Edited by Immersturm

There's always a rock to the scissors and shooting at 2+ saves means you're reliant on mortal wounds.

On the other hand the paper will be Astra Militarum characters with low saves and low wounds.

One single game is not enough to write out units, at this point in time where everything is new.

I used 10 Snipers along my Primaris against Necrons. They did alright, but I barely shot characters with them, as I needed more wounds on those Annihilator Barges. The 6s did not come reliably though and those few times they shot a character they did very little, but that may be due to Living Metal and 2+ saves abs T5. Need to do more testing, but chances are they may be overhyped.

Well this is where power or points come into the game again. If you really want to kill a lord type or even heavier variant you will need more than 10 of them. Just imagine the Scouts vs. the nids, demon lords, greater demons or avatars. 10 aren't a thread but 30 have a complete different effect on your opponent :smile.:

Edited by Chaplain Killmer

i dont know, i think if you are going to invest that many points into character sniping, you might as well pay a bit more and get vindicares.  more reliable damage, ignores invuln saves, and still possibility of 1-shotting most characters, and longer range.

i dont know, i think if you are going to invest that many points into character sniping, you might as well pay a bit more and get vindicares.  more reliable damage, ignores invuln saves, and still possibility of 1-shotting most characters, and longer range.

But Vindicare are not DA Scout snipers. :teehee:

If everytime we went out of the Codex to get something better, there would be no point to play a Codex, right? Specially when it comes to DA... :P

Sometimes it's not about pure efficiency, it's only about getting the most of the stuff that people enjoy playing.

There would be very short threadsin this forum  if instead of sharing experiences and try to come up with solutions for some units we would just say: "Don't bother with X unit, Y does it better and by less cost" , don't you agree?

Sometimes we just have to put a little bit effort into it, keep persisting and coming up with solutions. A Big Mac fries and large soda will probably kill the munchies as good as a dish that takes 1 hour of our time cooking, but in the end we will enjoy that home-cooked meal more.

Anyway, just a heads up in case some people didn't notice (and I know I didn't!) , Sniper rifles cause Mortal wounds in a 6+, in adition to it's normal damage. That means that every 6 you roll you get a Mortal Wound and the enemy still has to take an armour save.

So basically for every 6+ you get one sure wound and an attempt at another... which is pretty nice and better than the old "Rending".

Sniper rifles have a good range. If there isn't a char to shot at - there is nothing to stop you to fire at a regular unit their damage potential is the same if not better than the one of a tactical squad even their power value is higher than a tac quad (10 men)

Edited by Chaplain Killmer

I started to dive into the "max snipers" crowd as well. Snipers are good but they are not the end-all. Tactial Squads are still really good and have found recently that I prefer to only have a unit of four snipers + Missile Launcher as my sniper unit. They can camp in some terrain and cause a lot of havoc while they rest of my forces take the brunt force of my opponent.