Overwatch from vehicles?

Bulwyf

If you are charging a vehicle does the vehicle get to use every weapon it has for overwatch or just one? Example from today's game was I playing against someone using 3 Baneblades and I was charging my Wulfen and TWC into them just to get shot to pieces for trying. I thought you could only overwatch with one weapon?

Has overwatching with only 1 weapon ever been a rule?

When was the dawn of modern overwatch? Sixth edition or there abouts? In the late chamber's rules era I dimly recall there being some clauses regarding the numbers of weapons a unit could fire at a shooting opportunity and that non-vehicle models generally were allowed to shoot one with monsters being allowed to shoot two and that was most of the set that could shoot overwatch. So, indirectly it was largely only one gun for overwatch.

If we reach far, far, back into the misty depths of yore in second edition we can construct a similar limitation on overwatch as extended from a general limitation on the number of guns a model can use to shoot with.

So, at times generally true, but not actually a rule as such.

Thanks for the clarification. I have played since rogue trader days and could have sworn vehicles were confined to just one weapon for overwatch. Kinda sad to see that's no longer the case. Charging baneblades = not fun for Space Wolves.

Has overwatching with only 1 weapon ever been a rule?

When was the dawn of modern overwatch? Sixth edition or there abouts? In the late chamber's rules era I dimly recall there being some clauses regarding the numbers of weapons a unit could fire at a shooting opportunity and that non-vehicle models generally were allowed to shoot one with monsters being allowed to shoot two and that was most of the set that could shoot overwatch. So, indirectly it was largely only one gun for overwatch.

If we reach far, far, back into the misty depths of yore in second edition we can construct a similar limitation on overwatch as extended from a general limitation on the number of guns a model can use to shoot with.

So, at times generally true, but not actually a rule as such.

Most of those rules for Shooting more than one Weapon per model were written as applying to the Shooting Phase.  It wasn't until they were FAQ'd that they were allowed to work in other Shooting scenarios as well.

Nice post, TCD.  You should put this in the Tactics section where people will see it.  Not everyone reads the OR forum unless they have a specific rule question.  As in seriously, start a new topic in Tactica before this post gets purged. :)

Nice post, TCD.  You should put this in the Tactics section where people will see it.

It was a quality post. So good in fact that I did split it off from this thread so I could give it a good home in Tactica only to discover that he'd already made it anew over there.

Yes, this forum is about the rules. We accept a little bit of rules commentary and history, but only in so far as it supports understanding the question at hand.