Making jump assault marines viable?

dakkamasta

It's sad to see that my fears are true and that until we get a codex there are very few reasons to run assault squads.

On the plus side my assault marines are very fancy looking with lots of extra little bits so they could very easily pass as vanguard vets.

I'm curious what people think about evisorators? They can only be taken by assault squads, so I hope no one minds discussing them here.

Evisorators compete directly with thunder hammers in most situations, but are one of the few sources of ap:-4 on assault weapons. This goes well with meltaguns.

So I'm wondering if the assault squads niche is as reliable "clean up" units that can take out depleted enemy squads or tanks that only have a few wounds left. This still allows the cost effective, heavy-hitters like Vanguard Vets to be deployed on the front lines.

I loved the 5th edition Blood Angels codex (if not the vampire thing, vampires just creep me out) and I really, really wanted a jump pack army, but didn't go that route.

I did get some raptors for my CSMs and I use them in larger squads (or as dispersed 10 man teams broken to 5 man teams) to sort of "kick the door" for my ctacs (miss my combat weapons :( ), in 8th I try to jump behind a unit that is going to be assaulted, and hit them from front and back.

Bolter jocks up front, raptors stabbing them from the back. Pretty cool and thematic to me.

Also taking two chainswords on vanguard vets? Maybe that will continue to be a thing...but you guys get kicked in the ribs about as often as chaos does so that's not something I'd count on (like chainaxes and chainswords on Berserkers, sounds cool-but too good for GW to keep it.)

Edited by Trevak Dal

I'm curious what people think about evisorators? They can only be taken by assault squads, so I hope no one minds discussing them here.

Evisorators compete directly with thunder hammers in most situations, but are one of the few sources of ap:-4 on assault weapons. This goes well with meltaguns.

A weapon that hits on a 4+, expensive,  that can only be taken on 1 attack models. PASS

Seriously, just take a plasma pistol for 1/3 the cost, and keep your chainsword. 9/10 times you'll do more.