Kitting out your Deathwing ancient

palin2222

For those of you who have played with a DW Ancient, how did you run it? Did you take it stock with a SB/PF or did you opt for a different load out? Part of me wants to run the Ancient with twin lightning claws. First off the LC are cheaper, by a lot, and the extra attack on a guy meant to be in melee is never a bad thing. Or did you go with the TH/SS for extra survivability?

TH/SS for extra survivability, for me. But it depends on what you want to do. Best option is, obviously, magnetizing (something which I've neglected to do) and mix and match for purpose.

Remember, the Ancient doesn't have to be in CC to give his bonus. Just in 6" of a CC, and actually risking him there might even be counterproductive.

Don't have my rules on me right now. But does he have access to an assault cannon and chainfist? If so, that is how I would want mine loaded out I think. Or maybe Assault cannon & Storm Shield.

Edited by Aothaine

the loadouts for DW ancient are SB/PF or TH/SS or LC/LC by now

mine was born SB/PF but now he is equipped with TH/SS

it was born as a regular terminator with DW banner and FW shoulderpad added but now he is:

- body from DW

- DWK robe chest

- regular DW helmet

- arm with DW TH

- DWK SS

- DW shoulderpad from FW

- DW banner on  back

I've run the twin lightning claws and 5 attacks from those is pretty sweet.  I have a hard time finding room for the extra points for the storm shield and thunder hammer right now.  The extra premium you spend on the storm shield seems less worth it when you don't have to worry about your opponent shooting him.

I am thinking about running mine with twin LC mainly cause the TH/SS is 40 pts since he is a character and the LC are cheaper + 5 attacks is nice. I have run a couple test games on vassal with an ancient buffing two squads of Knights and a Ven Dread with DCW (Ven Dread gets Deathwing keyword), and he has yet to even fight in either game. The dreadnought and the knights just destroy everything in there path. 

Edited by Conine

med_gallery_13203_846_1069884.jpg

Storm shield for me. Mainly because the model predates 8th edition. In 8th, I'd be tempted to go with lightning claws to rely on being a cheap character that's not the closest model for protection, but...well, it turns out that my shop goes for power level instead of points, so it doesn't really matter. Storm shield or not, not getting this guy stuck in unless I can help it!

MInes got the LCs. as he's running around supporting knights i suspect they will smash anything that needs TH smashed, I've got an apothecary in there as well so if he losses any wounds I can hopefully heal him a little.  I think that makes him pretty survivable but i've yet to play a game with this set up so don't know!?!

I'm using the LC terminator from space hulk to set him apart a little.

Magnets.

Sensibly I'd have him with SB/PF because we need all the shooting we can get.

Survivability is achieved with model placement and I feel that a pure CC option is wasted but I do like the look of this:

16100905058_4555378b35_b.jpg

stobz

Magnets.

Sensibly I'd have him with SB/PF because we need all the shooting we can get.

Survivability is achieved with model placement and I feel that a pure CC option is wasted but I do like the look of this:

16100905058_4555378b35_b.jpg

stobz

Is that my eyes playing tricks on me or did you slightly true scale him? He looks taller than normal for a termie.

Mine is with TH/SS. Why? Cause I figured I wanted him as survivable as 7th would allow him to be. Also I needed hammernators for my bit of first company models, and the command squad was one of the last Deathwing units I built.