Astra militarum 3rd party bits question

sunspear

I've been away from the hobby for a long time and just had my first demo game today. I loved it and I would like to start an AM army. I've been searching online and found a lot of companies making some really nice bits for the AM. My questions is, is it a problem to have an army built from these bits at clubs or LGS? Does anyone have an issue playing against them? What about tournaments? I was not planning on using 3rd party bits exclusively. Maybe some leg swaps and heads.

Yup I'll echo what the others have said.

The only real issue with 3rd party stuff from a tournament perspective is size. As long as its close enough to the dimensions of the actual model people are usually ok with it.

Its when the size is drastically different, people get upset about you trying to get an unfair advantage (not that I am saying that's what youre wanting to do).

Good to know. I don't have any intention of using it for a size advantage. I just like converting and coming up a unique army that I can create some fluff around. To me thats a big part of the hobby

I feel that. I also think it is also a necessity with some armies. Sisters of Battle, as an example, are all metal and lack customization. Converting from 3rd party for those is almost necessary. 

GW doesn't really host tournaments or events anymore, so don't worry about it. When I worked for the company the rule differed in that either the majority of the model had to be GW parts or at least 3/4ths. Store managers have their own discretion on the matter, and in the past it usually came down to whether the company made a version of the model. Now that GW only has rules for things they produce thats not the issue anymore. 

The vast majority of indie stores follow the rule of cool rule....In other words do what you want, long as the model looks right.