On combat squads, transports, and "end-of-movement" actions

Berzul

So, I am planning a list that uses tanks, Devastators, and a Techmarine.

I have been thinking of ways to optimize the list, trying to think if I should go for a couple of Predators, or a Predator and a couple of Lascannon Razorbacks.

Suddenly, the notion of the amount of units I was putting into the list got into my head, and I realized tht the overall list was getting a bit too crowded (around 14 units in total at 1850 points). So I began to think of ways to reduce this. This, in turn, popped a few questions in my head. I've been reading the books, but haven't found a straight answer to them.

I leave them here for you guys. If they are in the books, then please, could you point out the page?

1) If you combat squad a unit, it counts as 2 units for the purposes of deployment, right?

2) But if you deploy a unit inside a transport, they count as 1 unit for the purposes of deployment as well?

3) If you combat squad a Devastator or Tactical squad, could you put each combat squad into a different transport? For instance, could I take a 10-man squad, split it into 2 5-man squads, then load each one on a different razorback?

4) If I put a techmarine inside a transport, it can disembark at the start of the movement phase. Then "at the end of the movement phase", can the techmarine repair said transport? Does disembarking affect what he can do in that sense for the rest of the turn?

My idea is to take a Dev squad of 10 guys to screen a line of vehicles. I'm thinking if I make them razorbacks, I can spit the squad, load both halves in the transports, add the techmarine with one of the squads, and so, what at first was 4 units to deploy (2 razorbacks, the devastators, and the techmarine) becomes 2 units.

This helps me keep the same amount of units, but reduces the deployment phase.

Would this work out?

Edited by Berzul

1) If you combat squad a unit, it counts as 2 units for the purposes of deployment, right?

2) But if you deploy a unit inside a transport, they count as 1 unit for the purposes of deployment as well?

3) If you combat squad a Devastator or Tactical squad, could you put each combat squad into a different transport? For instance, could I take a 10-man squad, split it into 2 5-man squads, then load each one on a different razorback?

4) If I put a techmarine inside a transport, it can disembark at the start of the movement phase. Then "at the end of the movement phase", can the techmarine repair said transport? Does disembarking affect what he can do in that sense for the rest of the turn?

1.) Right

2.) Exactly

3.) Nothing's stopping you. 

4.) That's exactly how it works. Disembarking only makes him count as moved, so if his ability would be affected by movement, it would be affected by disembarking. Since it's not (AFAIK), he can move, repair at the end of the movement phase, fire, and even assault.

Thanks!

But, just to clarify, do you mean you can put a split tactical squad into different transports? Or deploy them in different transports?

Thanks!

But, just to clarify, do you mean you can put a split tactical squad into different transports? Or deploy them in different transports?

Transports are not bought with units anymore. So any unit is free to get in any transport.

If you combat squad a tactical squad you can put the 2x5 models in different transports.

You could also put both units in the same Rhino if you wanted.

Actually I found the rule that solved my question.

The rulebook says you deploy the transport first, and then you can choose to deploy a unit inside the transport.

So, you would deploy the transport, choose a tactical squad to go inside, and then choose wether or not to combat squad it.

So, by order of deployment, you cannot deploy one squad in two transports at once.