BA "Chapter Tactics" Speculation

Charlo

I think there will be parallels between Loyalist and Traitor chapters.

At this point, I would put money down on us being the counterpart to Emperor's Children, getting some form of always-strike first tactic.

I would guess something close to World Eaters, but to be honest, they will prob give that to Space Wolves. By process of elimination, if any (mainstream) Loyalist Chapter were to get a strike-first ability, it'd be us.

Hidden Content

Traitor/Loyalist counterparts:

Night Lords: -1 Leadership for each NL unit within 6″ of the enemy. This stacks to a minimum of 1 Leadership for the enemy.

--Dark Angels?

Word Bearers: Re-roll failed Moral checks.

--Hmmmmm....we already get that as loyalists. Probably Blood Angels because GW doesn't get us

Emperor’s Children: Always strike first.

--Blood Angels?

Black Legion: +1 Leadership and can always advance and shoot/gain bonuses/or no modifiers to advancing and shooting. (Poster was unclear which one)

--kinda-sorta Ultramarines

Iron Warriors: Possibly negating cover or gaining better cover when in cover.

--Imperial Fists. Duh

Alpha Legion: Scout ability – (Like deepstrike but 12″ away from enemy units).

--kinda sorta Ravenguard (not directly translatable, but it's kind of the exact counter-weight to RG: "oh your bonus is if you're 12" away? We can make sure you are never that far away. Btw, were Chaos so we're better* at melee")

Renegade Chapters: Sadly unreadable.

World Eaters: When a unit with this trait makes a successful charge, you can make one additional attack with each model in the unit.

--Blood Angels or Space Wolves, but I would guess SW the way they are shaping up this edition

An addition: It appears that all Chaos Legions get the same Objective Secured ability that Loyalists have.

--if there no enemies left alive, then the LM the Objective is Secures automatically...

Edited by Indefragable

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Red Thirst

Any Blood Angels units with this tactic do not need to take Morale tests while within 12" of an enemy unit. In addition, characters and dreadnoughts with this tactic always hit first in combat.

Close Quarters Experts

Blood Angels units with this tactic may use Rapid Fire and Assault weapons within 1" of enemy units, with a -1 to hit modifier.

Blood of the Red Grail

Nominate up to three units with this tactic at the end of the deployment phase; these units have drunk from the Red Grail and have been empowered by the blood of their Primarch.

Units that have drunk from the Red Grail benefit from up to four of the following bonuses (player's choice):

+1 S, +1 A, +1 Ld, +1 WS, +1 BS. (WS & BS may never be improved above 2+)

Edited by teblin

Also, when you are confronting the two sides of the coin, one against the other. Hit First VS Hit Hard.

You miss one obvious possibility that can be part of the future Blood Angels Codex => 2 Factions rules (Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers).

This way, the Blood Angels rules could be designed like the EC (Always Strikes First), and the Flesh Tearers rules like the WE (+1 Attack) or the Renegade (Advance and Charge).

It would not be surprising that Flesh Tearers may end up with their rules in the codex, army wide specific rules, 1 unique Stratagem, 1 to 6 Chapter Relics and 1 to 6 Warlord Trait.

Eh, I think that's all a bit excessive.

The Red Thirst will probably give us +1 S or allow us to advance and charge (hopefully both!)

We will have the Black Rage which will give +1 attack and hopefully they will change it so that DC don't have morale or get to strike if they fail morale (like the fanatical trait from AoS)

And we will have Descent of Angels which will help us with deep strike in some way.

I am willing to bet money on +1S, because we have literally had it since at least 3rd edition.

I don't see flesh tearers getting their son chapter tactics. I can see a warlord trait and a strategem, but no CT.

Blood of the Red Grail

Nominate up to three units with this tactic at the end of the deployment phase; these units have drunk from the Red Grail and have been empowered by the blood of their Primarch.

Units that have drunk from the Red Grail benefit from up to four of the following bonuses (player's choice):

I get that the limited number of units is a balance measure, but I think it is weird that only a few marines would benefit from the grail if it is present.

Also, when you are confronting the two sides of the coin, one against the other. Hit First VS Hit Hard.

You miss one obvious possibility that can be part of the future Blood Angels Codex => 2 Factions rules (Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers).

This way, the Blood Angels rules could be designed like the EC (Always Strikes First), and the Flesh Tearers rules like the WE (+1 Attack) or the Renegade (Advance and Charge).

It would not be surprising that Flesh Tearers may end up with their rules in the codex, army wide specific rules, 1 unique Stratagem, 1 to 6 Chapter Relics and 1 to 6 Warlord Trait.

I wouldn't like that. Dante should be able to advance and charge.

In fact we will probably get a few strategems that will be all of those things (like advance and charge)

Things like that should be built into the unit not into certain army compositions. Unless I am mistaken you only get command points and thus stratagems if your army is battleforged.

Blood of the Red Grail

I get that the limited number of units is a balance measure, but I think it is weird that only a few marines would benefit from the grail if it is present.

I'm assuming that the blood within the Red Grail is finite (or very limited at least), unless some piece of fluff somewhere says otherwise, I guess that's my justification.

Edited by teblin

Battleforging is super, super easy, and those being strategems fits the themes so far.

Seriously, how can you build an army that is not battleforged unless you try really really hard to avoid it. :biggrin.:

It is not about whether it is easy or a good idea to make a battleforged army, I just don't like the idea that traits that are supposed to be inherent in every Blood Angel only work if the army is composed in a certain way.

Blood of the Red Grail

I'm assuming that the blood within the Red Grail is finite (or very limited at least), unless some piece of fluff somewhere says otherwise, I guess that's my justification.

If it was finite and the quantity is in any relation to a container that can be carried by a human/marine, how hasn't  it been depleted long before the 41st millenium?

The blood grails and red grails use the blood of Blood Angels, usually from the Priest.

Descent of Angels makes sense as a strategem, as it predicates on them using the strategy/tactics/army composition.

The Red Thirst giving +1S on the charge makes sense as an army wide, non battleforged thing as it's a genetic quirk.

Battleforging is super, super easy, and those being strategems fits the themes so far.

Seriously, how can you build an army that is not battleforged unless you try really really hard to avoid it. :biggrin.:

It is not about whether it is easy or a good idea to make a battleforged army, I just don't like the idea that traits that are supposed to be inherent in every Blood Angel only work if the army is composed in a certain way.

Blood of the Red Grail

If it was finite and the quantity is in any relation to a container that can be carried by a human/marine, how hasn't  it been depleted long before the 41st millenium?

I was under the impression that the Red Grail was something different to the other chalices and wasn't used in the same way/as often.

The red grail orginally held Sanguinius' blood, but they couldn't keep it fresh for long after his death so it was injected into the sanguinary priests at the time. The grail is refilled with blood from all the sanguinary priests, and is used both to induct new marine candidates with a sip and for new sanguinary priests. Thus the blood of Sanguinius lives on in his descendants, particularly the priests.