Fluff guestion, Doing things right.

Fobzter

Hey,

Are all dark angels venerable dreadnoughts deathwing white? Or could you field a caliban green one also? Fluff-wise that is.

I'm planning fielding regular dreads as venerable. So is it wysiwyg enough if the upgrades and weapon load out is right?

Thanks.

If it's OK to use regular dreads as venerable depends on your opponents. If the people you regularly play are OK with it, by all means go for it. Where I play it's not accepted. You bring the models you have with the gear you have.

My venerable dread I did paint green, mainly because I'm then able to switch weapons.

However it might not be optimal fluff-wise.

My memory is fuzzy, but if I do recall correctly, Venerable Dreadnoughts were retconned to belong to first Company.

That could change in the future... In any case, if you pay the points and explain to the opponent it should be no problem to have a green Venerable Dreadnought. Colors are a matter of taste after all

What is so specific in the hull of a venerable dread vs. Regular dread that your gaming group wouldn't let you field a kitbashed version? In the 7th ed codex if I recall right there's regular dreads hull on the venerable, but I might be wrong. If you google DA ven dreads, you'll get several kitbashed versions. Ih have kitbashed Ezekiel and Azrael from dark vengeance as well, I got the orginal lion's helm on a watcher in the dark though. Your gaming group would disallow that too? Anyway thanks for quick reply, I think I'll paint a third dread white with double twin autocannons. Got one painted green one and one only in primer.

Our gaming group never is too picky about that kinda things, you don't need wysiwyg with grenades, pistol holsters, melta bombs, armorium cherubs, smoke launchers adn such, only weapons are mandatory. Even then you just get labeled as a disciple of dave (mark of dave).

Fobzter, your original post didn't say anything about kitbashed models. If you model it to be distinquishable from a regular dread, I cannot see anything wrong in using a regular dread as a venerable. Personally I'd probably just buy a venerable dread model, they cost the same as a regular one anyways, and they look even cooler :)

If of course you'd want one you can use for both a regular and a venerable, then by all means, go ahead and kitbash :)

It is silly that the venerable dread kit doesn't come with a Missile Launcher or MultiMelta though. And neither box comes with Autocannons (which are hot &$!@ right now). Personally I'd have no problem playing against whatever model whatever color, but in agreement with everyone else, just ask your opponent. Not everyone can have double of every dreadnought load out so they have a bone and a green version. Edited by Knight Master Eladric

Yeah, the autocannons are damn sweet now. I'm quite pleased I decided a while ago I wanted to be able to field a good old dakkadread, even more so when I can make that dakkadread venerable without sawing my existing models :)

Fluff-wise, there's no reason a venerable dreadnought couldn't be green. A Space Marine might've been promoted from Deathwing to become a company master, for example, then wounded and interred in a dread. He could wear whatever color he wanted after leaving the 1st. Azrael, who was master of the Deathwing, wears green armor now, for example.

Speaking of twin autocannons how do I get them, I thought they would have been with the venerable dread sprue :(

I wouldn't speak kitbashing when it comes to my owned dreads, as BA fragioso I never used a furioso hull, only the weapons got lib dread and regular dread hulls and noone ever has complaint about them.

Wasn't a Venerable Dreadnought an ancient fallen brother, who died an honorable death and served his chapter as both inspiration and battle-hardened warrior for eons?

Why shouldn't there be some DAs, who never reached the Inner Circle, become venerable dreads themselves? I'd imagine them to be the heroes / champions of the "normal" DAs.

Or would they all become members of the Deathwing nonetheless and introduced into the ancient history of their chapter? Wouldn't that be a bit too much for them?

"Brother Helial, you served our chapter for centuries. Your sacrifices were outstanding and thus we agreed to let you become one of our ancient heroes."

THANK YOU, BROTHER

"Furthermore, you are now a member of the Deathwing."

BY THE LION...I AM HONORED AND WILL DO EVERYTHING TO...

"Wait. There is more. Now that you are a member of the Deathwing and the Inner Circle, you will now hear about our true and sinister history. Luther, the closes brother of our beloved father, betrayed him."

WHAT?

"Furthermore, he corrupted those stationed on our ancient homeworld and fought against the Lion."

YOU SERIOUS?

"In an cataclysmically confrontation did brother fight brother. Caliban was destroyed and the Lion fell. Those traitors who survived are now scattered across the universe. It is our holy task to bring them to justice in order to redeem ourselves. Now that you now the basics of the Inner Circle, will you become redemption incarnate, brother Helial?"

. . .

"Brother Helial?"

blue-screen-of-death-bsod-windows-56a6fa