Multiple Damage and Things that ignore wounds

Acebaur

So I'm a bit confused about how this works. I know for a normal save(invul or otherwise) you get hit with a lascannon and roll your save. If you make it the shot is prevented and if you don't your opponent rolls for the damage(or you just take multiple wounds if it's static)

But what happens when you have something that you roll after you fail your save? Like the warlord trait or the Ven dread ability? Do you roll once for the hit and prevent all of it? Or Do you roll for each damage it would inflict. The rules feel unclear about this because the game has made a distinction between wounding and damage. 

Thanks

It is really confusingly worded. Those ignore damage abilities seem to be worded along the lines of "Each time this model loses a wound...", which links it to wound rolls rather than damage rolls. However, I think in this case is referencing the Wound stat, and you have to roll the ignore ability for each point of damage suffered i.e. for each single Wound lost.

Unfortunately, I can't link to evidence at the moment, but I'm sure it's been referenced in some sort of official capacity. If I find something I'll edit, unless others beat me to it.

You only lose wounds as a result of the damage value, the actual wound roll has nothing to do directly with losing wounds.

You use the rules in question against the damage since that is what triggers the loss of wounds. If you take 3 damage you'd make three rolls.

We're in the era of 'bespoke rules' which means we can't really reach a useful answer for a generalised case as small or careless alterations in wording can have meaningful impacts on what the correct procedure is.

To take as an example, Typhus's 'Disgustingly Resilient' rule You'd roll for each wound assigned after you'd rolled armour saves based on this rule only triggering after the wound would be lost and Typhus's rule making reference to each individual wound.

This has been clarified in the day 1 FAQ, a.k.a. 'Designer's Commentary':

Q: When rolling for abilities such as ‘Disgustingly Resilient’ or ‘Tenacious Survivor’ against attacks which inflict multiple wounds, do you roll to ignore each individual wound inflicted by the attack, or do you roll only once to ignore all the wounds inflicted by the attack?
A: Roll to avoid each wound lost separately.

For example, if a model with Disgustingly Resilient fails its saving throw against an attack made by a thunder hammer (Damage 3), you would roll three dice and for each result of 5+ you would ignore a single wound.