Treadheads in 8th?

Joasht

Weird thing is, the Vanquisher Macarius has the option of normal HE shells or the vanquisher shell which is str9 and roll 2d6 for damage and pick the highest.

I anticipate many tanks will get the "if they move they don't get a -1 to hit for their turret weapons" as that is a massive handicap when the actual codex comes out. 

The Annihilator is great.  Hands down the best anti high T platform we have.  With 3 lascannons It has a decent chance of simply one shotting 11W and lower vehicles AND it works so much better with command point re-rolls.  That is, with a battle cannon there are so many different steps you have to go through to actually deal any damage and none of them are particularly good places to drop a strategic re-roll.  With the Annihilator you hit, wound, -3 means it probably goes through, and then you have a chance to do 6 damage.  If you roll low, you re-roll the damage number and do more.  The first time my Annihilator shot it did 11 wounds to an Immolator, one shotting it, which would be nearly unheard of for my LRBTs.  I was used to shaving off 3-4 wounds at a time with my Basilisks/Battle Cannons so I was very pleased.  Give them hull lascannon and sponsons of either MMs or HBs.  MMs make it a d6 damage machine which will make even superheavies think twice before coming near as you have the potential to put out 30 damage at -3AP minimum.  

The other star of the LR show is the Conqueror.  Flat out better than the LRBT due to a built in twin link at 24", and 8 storm bolter shots within 12" makes it simply a better version of the LRBT.  

Would like to see a return of Commissar tanks (Forgeworld still sell the model, so might see them come back).

Weird thing is, the Vanquisher Macarius has the option of normal HE shells or the vanquisher shell which is str9 and roll 2d6 for damage and pick the highest.

Macharius Vanquisher always had that, so not too weird.

Yeah, what was weird is the GW vanquisher cannon has different stats than the FW vanquisher cannonx2 even though its supposed to just be a double of the standard vanquisher.

Yeah, what was weird is the GW vanquisher cannon has different stats than the FW vanquisher cannonx2 even though its supposed to just be a double of the standard vanquisher.

The Macharius Vanquisher isn't the same as the GW one though.

They're both STR 8, or was AP2 in 7th vs AP-3 now. I think the big difference is before you had the "armorbane" rule which, combined with how fragile vehicles were last edition, made it a real tank sniper. Now, with a pleathora of wounds it's not so powerful. It's a STR8 lascannon basically except you roll 2 D6 for damage and discard the lower one.

If you're taking Russes, take Pask. He is fantastic and can give two orders to Leman Russ tanks (though not his own). He's only 10 points more than a standard tank commander. I like him in a Punisher to take advantage of his obscene ballistic skill.

Is this in a FAQ?

I have wanted to. In a 2k list you can theoretically make an army of a Company commander in chimera (121) with HB chimera and no upgrades) and 17 heavy flamer hellhounds (1870) (this is legal in an outrider detatchment since you can get 1-3 hellhounds per fast attack slot, up to 6). leaving 9 points to do something with. or you can drop a hellhound for bodies in the chimera. I would think that most armies would struggle to deal with 17 hellhounds. (if you want chem cannons, it is a 5point reduction per hellhound). 

or you could give the CC a taurox (i dont like the look of them personally) for 6 points less

or use sentinels 

or use many of the light tanks in the forgeworld index. (for an extra 7 points per hellhound, you could also go for the artemia pattern which lets you roll 2 dice and pick the highest for its main gun!)

All the options!

Not a russ related question but has anyone tried a light tank Style army in 8th yet Ie not taurox prime spam

I actually just ran a 2250 point list against an Ynnari list (all dark eldar and 2 wraithknights). I tabled him by turn 5 and had a solid 50ish% of my force left and I had 10 chimera chassis vehicles.

I had:

4 chimeras with flamers. They carried infantry squads with commissars and commanders.

1 hellhound (the forgeworld one)

1 basilisk

1 manticore

1 griffon

2 hydras

3 scout sentinels

2 tauros venators

I also had two 10 man scion squads and some death riders.

So with 15 vehicles on the table and not a single infantryman one the field turn one, target priority was really hard for my opponent. The great thing about our light tanks now is that they're all quite threatening and also durable. Russes are expensive so losing one hurts.

I also cheekily charged my griffon into a grotesque squad to stop it multi-assaulting my line of artillery tanks and they never got a charge off for the rest of the game. The fact a >100 point vehicle can bog down an assault unit like that is pretty awesome and it saved my line.

So all in all I really like our light tanks now. I won't run tauroxes cause they're beyond ugly so I don't care hoe good they are. I feel like they outshine russes since they're far cheaper, have good firepower and utility whilst still being reasonbly durable for the cost.

I have wanted to. In a 2k list you can theoretically make an army of a Company commander in chimera (121) with HB chimera and no upgrades) and 17 heavy flamer hellhounds (1870) (this is legal in an outrider detatchment since you can get 1-3 hellhounds per fast attack slot, up to 6). leaving 9 points to do something with. or you can drop a hellhound for bodies in the chimera. I would think that most armies would struggle to deal with 17 hellhounds. (if you want chem cannons, it is a 5point reduction per hellhound).

or you could give the CC a taurox (i dont like the look of them personally) for 6 points less

or use sentinels

or use many of the light tanks in the forgeworld index. (for an extra 7 points per hellhound, you could also go for the artemia pattern which lets you roll 2 dice and pick the highest for its main gun!)

All the options!

Not that I condone spamming in general, but I'd really like to see a list like this on the table!

Flame on!

• 2 weeks later...
What's been the better experience with Pask so far, going for the infantry killer (Punisher) or the big game hunter (LRBT or Demolisher)? A good Battle Cannon roll can do some serious work to a vehicle like a Razorback, but the sheer volume of hits with a Punisher can wreck even power armor. I see merits to both.

• 5 months later...

Anyone using forge world tanks or conversions?

I am using a Trojan with its Guard support squad and a Salamander command tank both augmenting a laser tank destroyer. A Separate L Russ command tank with classic load out. A squadron of Russ :

3 heavy bolters and battle cannon.

3 heavy bolters and punisher

2 heavy plasma , 1 Las cannon and a twin Las cannon.

3 Cyclops

10 Rough riders.

All above use Tallarn doctrines and goodies as well as one ability and a trait to claim back command points. More than 1000 points but less than 2000 ;)

Edited by esca

I used to play with heavy mortars because for some reason they're a lot of fun. But since CA they've gone away. I still use a cyclops sometimes.

I am currently trying to turn a Nova Cannon into a conqueror with a storm bolter. And an exterminator into an annihilator. Looking forward to tryin them out.