I have a fluff question

rayvn26

I've been scouring the interwebs for months trying to find the answer to this, I've read it before yet I cannot for the life of me remember where. Hopefully you fine folks can help me out.

Why do the Blood Angel Terminators have a black Power/Chain fist?

The real answer is that the 'eavy metal guys thought it balanced out the model (with the black stormbolter) when they stopped doing hazard stripes. I've never seen anything in official fluff saying why, and it's barely mentioned at all. I have heard that it's in memory of the decimation of the 1st company in Space Hulk 1st edition, but that was unsourced.

1st edition space hulk:

Space_hulk_box.jpg

2nd edition space hulk:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2BB9ugYY20w/UjAOxAFjW8I/AAAAAAAADto/tZV4MROGhew/s1600/wd+blood+angels+terminator+squat.png

I have heard that it's in memory of the decimation of the 1st company in Space Hulk 1st edition, but that was unsourced.

I've heard that too, but I culdn't say if its just chatter or if it was in an old white dwarf somewhere.

Fact is that GW changed heraldric of factions multiple times over the years. Not just for Space Marines but for T'au as well and those aren't even THAT long around compared to Space Marines. :D

Yea every chapter seems to have red borders on their pauldrons now.

I have heard that it's in memory of the decimation of the 1st company in Space Hulk 1st edition, but that was unsourced.

I've heard that too, but I culdn't say if its just chatter or if it was in an old white dwarf somewhere.

That's what I heard, couldn't remember if it was in remembrance to the Blood Angels 1st company or to a Deathwing company they went to save but were too late. I'll keep looking though. 

In my headcanon, each suit of terminator armour is unique and has been embellished so often that the colours show the history of the wearers. So when Brother Balthez fell to the rage, they painted the armour black for  a final holding action against the traitors, and left whichever plate black after it had been given to its next bearer

Normally, according to fluff, Devastator Squads helmets are blue, Assault Squads are yellow, Tactical Squads are red and Veteran Squads are gold. They use these markings instead of the arrows on the right shoulder pads that's where the colored blood drop goes that marks the company they belong to instead of painting the shoulder trim in a company color. Squad markings are on their knee instead of a number they use an icon (blood drop, lighting bolt, skull). And the Sergeants, instead of painting the helmet red they paint their shoulder pads black leaving the red trim (most the time).

But you can paint yours however you wish. I paint mine just a tad different than the fluff. With mine the shoulder pads are painted red with black trim to have a more cohesive look with the sergeants shoulder pads of black with red trim.   

No worries about using the tread for fluff questions. Might be a good idea to just have them all in one place for ease of reference. I'm sure everyone here would be more than happy to answer any and all fluff questions anyone has. I know I'll try to answer them as swiftly as I can, if I know the answer, but I'm fairly sure someone will know. 

Edited by rayvn26