Thoughts of Heresy: included army lists for learning to play

Blender

BT gunline with twinlinked razorback lascannons offering fire support. have crusaders with lascannon each. Have a 15 man squad run down hill and be scary and tank damage haha. Maybe use chapter tactics to counter charge before they swamp my gunline. Something like that. Need to wait for payday before anything serious begins. 

BT gunline with twinlinked razorback lascannons offering fire support. have crusaders with lascannon each. Have a 15 man squad run down hill and be scary and tank damage haha. Maybe use chapter tactics to counter charge before they swamp my gunline. Something like that. Need to wait for payday before anything serious begins. 

Before you spend the money on models I'll share my experience, I've run every combination of AA with the models i have:

-Melta Drop. Good for one turn but MM at 4+ and the Meltas not half range, Drop Pod itself with Deathwind can be strategically placed and  annoying thought and you'll have at least a unit/model busy trying to take it down.  

-LRC with MM and Hunter Missile, 2 Meltas inside (and 4 swords at +1 -3) and Helbrecht's own melta plus rerolls for all. They can do the job  but it's hard to keep everything together and once in combat you lose 2 Meltas at least. 

Not exactly AA specific unit as it doesn't have the range and want to engage squads instead of single models, It's also a magnet for the  opponent charges and AA and i always get charged and blocked from falling back or just the whole army avoids it and get fed cheap units to  slow me down.

-Las Razorback with Las squad. They have to stay still and it's expensive for 3 Lascannon shots that may fail, the extra Bolters can be useful  to slow down any enemy coming your way but they die quickly.

-Las Predator. Cost efficient 4 Lascannons, will get obliterated turn 1 like your LRC, Razorback to follow.

-Vanguard Vets with Hammers. Expensive and hit on 4+ should you ever get the charge off (easier now).

-Ven Dreadnought with Lascannon. Best performer so far hitting on 2+ and not degrading which is very important (plus infantry rules for  cover), I usually have him with a fist and flamer if I think my opponent has fast chargers, otherwise Autocannon it's brilliant, I'll probably add  another one.

The only one doing good is the Dreadnought and 2-3 of them could be a solution, 3 targets with 8 wounds each and even without a fist can pack a punch in Combat with 4A at 6S.

Personally I'm looking elsewhere, like a Titan, IG's cheap Heavy Weapon Squads with Commander and vox casters or SoB's Dominion Squad (extra move after deployment including their transport) with 4 Meltas and Condemnor Bolter as D3 damage vs psykers can be useful plus their AoF/SoF.

Edited by Gendo

Before you spend the money on models I'll share my experience, I've run every combination of AA with the models i have:

-Melta Drop. Good for one turn but MM at 4+ and the Meltas not half range, Drop Pod itself with Deathwind can be strategically placed and  annoying thought and you'll have at least a unit/model busy trying to take it down.  

-LRC with MM and Hunter Missile, 2 Meltas inside (and 4 swords at +1 -3) and Helbrecht's own melta plus rerolls for all. They can do the job  but it's hard to keep everything together and once in combat you lose 2 Meltas at least. 

Not exactly AA specific unit as it doesn't have the range and want to engage squads instead of single models, It's also a magnet for the  opponent charges and AA and i always get charged and blocked from falling back or just the whole army avoids it and get fed cheap units to  slow me down.

-Las Razorback with Las squad. They have to stay still and it's expensive for 3 Lascannon shots that may fail, the extra Bolters can be useful  to slow down any enemy coming your way but they die quickly.

-Las Predator. Cost efficient 4 Lascannons, will get obliterated turn 1 like your LRC, Razorback to follow.

-Vanguard Vets with Hammers. Expensive and hit on 4+ should you ever get the charge off (easier now).

-Ven Dreadnought with Lascannon. Best performer so far hitting on 2+ and not degrading which is very important (plus infantry rules for  cover), I usually have him with a fist and flamer if I think my opponent has fast chargers, otherwise Autocannon it's brilliant, I'll probably add  another one.

The only one doing good is the Dreadnought and 2-3 of them could be a solution, 3 targets with 8 wounds each and even without a fist can pack a punch in Combat with 4A at 6S.

Personally I'm looking elsewhere, like a Titan, IG's cheap Heavy Weapon Squads with Commander and vox casters or SoB's Dominion Squad (extra move after deployment including their transport) with 4 Meltas and Condemnor Bolter as D3 damage vs psykers can be useful plus their AoF/SoF.

Venerable dreadnought with lascannon and missile launcher (for greatest accuracy have a captain nearby) a reasonably cheap anti tank and anti aircraft platform with the potential to destroyed even a land raider in a single turn (dice need to be loaded or blessed with the righteous tears of the celestine to guarentee this) but its effective, take two and you'll never have to worry about much armour as long as they arent alpha striked to the afterlife they have so far avoided.

Venerable dreadnought with lascannon and missile launcher (for greatest accuracy have a captain nearby) a reasonably cheap anti tank and anti aircraft platform with the potential to destroyed even a land raider in a single turn (dice need to be loaded or blessed with the righteous tears of the celestine to guarentee this) but its effective, take two and you'll never have to worry about much armour as long as they arent alpha striked to the afterlife they have so far avoided.

Still, a Captain that needs to seat back ain't cheap as you pretty much add his cost to the model he's buffing, unless you run an in cover cluster as shooty armies do. 

Well here to post an update. I played against Nurgle twice. Got beat down twice haha.

I did the classic Marshal Laeroth MSU.

three razorback twinnlinked lascannon spam as my core. A dreadnaught with lascannon and missle launcher.

1 captain and 1 EC. The dreadnaught and focus fire from razorbacks are good. I took out a bloat drone from the first volley. The EC survived two rounds of combat against a lord contagion. I took him to half health before my EC got smacked into the dirt.

I'll try hellblaster primaris next time.

I appreciate your tips and experience! I didn't read until I came back but it's okay. Next time I will follow your tips.

Fun fact after the battle my EC duelled random characters from different people in the store. I EC had a perfect round against a deathleaper. But he got one shot against a hive tyrant and forgeworld dreadnaught character. I managed to do 1/4 of the dreadnaught's health before he died. It was fun though. I feel the zeal slowly coming back.

Don't send the EC against the Lord of Contagion. In my experience at least he can tank sounds like crazy. I ran into the same issue and lost him after dealing 3 wounds. Of course this was before we had Abhor the Witch and his plaguecaster got some mortal wounds on my EC first.

Yeah, I'm still testing what our characters can do. Haha, I guess we rolled bad cause he charged me and failed to hit and wound anything. And I only dealt one wound to him the first round of combat haha..

Well here to post an update. I played against Nurgle twice. Got beat down twice haha.

I did the classic Marshal Laeroth MSU.

three razorback twinnlinked lascannon spam as my core. A dreadnaught with lascannon and missle launcher.

1 captain and 1 EC. The dreadnaught and focus fire from razorbacks are good. I took out a bloat drone from the first volley. The EC survived two rounds of combat against a lord contagion. I took him to half health before my EC got smacked into the dirt.

I'll try hellblaster primaris next time.

I appreciate your tips and experience! I didn't read until I came back but it's okay. Next time I will follow your tips.

Fun fact after the battle my EC duelled random characters from different people in the store. I EC had a perfect round against a deathleaper. But he got one shot against a hive tyrant and forgeworld dreadnaught character. I managed to do 1/4 of the dreadnaught's health before he died. It was fun though. I feel the zeal slowly coming back.

Yeah, as much as I would like them to work...MSU gunline isn't as effective anymore due to armor penetration. Takes very little to kill them now, which sucks. The old MSU bunkers still are effective in my experience...but you're still looking at 80ish points for a rhino.

You will find a lot of my lists going forward are mid-range, with assault properties. Reivers are stupidly good.

Edited by Marshal Laeroth

Talons and Ravens for AA any good?  Expensive, naturally, with Talons in particular a good chunk of points more than they used to be.  But a Raven is a damn good transport as well as being a seriously well armed gunship.

Talons and Ravens for AA any good? Expensive, naturally, with Talons in particular a good chunk of points more than they used to be. But a Raven is a damn good transport as well as being a seriously well armed gunship.

Stormravens are one of the best units in the book. It's why some players were taking 6-7 in a list. The Stormtalon, I think, took a lethal blow with the points increase. No longer worth it imo.

Captain in Terminator Armor  Thunder hammer, storm shield, shield eternal

The Emperor's Champion 

Crusader Squad x 3

5x Initiate w/Chainsword (1 has flamer)
Sword Brother 
Power fist 

Assault Squad x 2
Jump Pack 
4x Space Marine (1 with plasma pistol)
Space Marine Sergeant 
Bolt pistol, Power sword

3 rhino's with storm bolters

List is 1000 points. Any feedback? 

Edited by Blender

Punch stuff to death. 

Playing with what I have right now.

I have another list that is not as fast but has more anti tank. It has Primaris Intercessor x2, interceptor and hellblaster walking. and 1 crusader squad with 1 neophyte haha. A Primaris captain in gravis armor and EC. Also has a rifleman venerable dread (Lascannon and ML). 

Edited by Blender

You will find a lot of my lists going forward are mid-range, with assault properties. Reivers are stupidly good.

Any chances to see some of them in your blog?:)
Yeah, I have been working some pretty long hours since release, so haven't gotten a chance to sit down to blog (but I've been playing games...priorities right? Lol). Over the next couple days I have a some articles to put out. Edited by Marshal Laeroth

Captain in Terminator Armor Thunder hammer, storm shield, shield eternal

The Emperor's Champion

Crusader Squad x 3

5x Initiate w/Chainsword (1 has flamer)

Sword Brother

Power fist

Assault Squad x 2

Jump Pack

4x Space Marine (1 with plasma pistol)

Space Marine Sergeant

Bolt pistol, Power sword

3 rhino's with storm bolters

List is 1000 points. Any feedback?

Couple things...The point of a bunker is to stay in your box as long as possible, until the box is gone. You can use this with Razorbacks, if you go cheap. You can then shoot some more and/or assault to your leisure, once you're on foot. So to help facilitate that, you will need some heavy weapons and a complimentary special weapon. I prefer grav cannon and plasma. If you have extra points in the list, Hunter killer missiles are an option for the rhinos if you don't use razorbacks. Just remember that, unless I missed it someplace, you can no longer shoot from inside your transport unless it's open topped. So the bunker isn't as good as before...but still effective at protecting your troops until you want them to jump out.

I also second Kisada...you need something ranged to reliably knock out armor and monsters. Those hellblasters will do well if you can squeeze the points. Also...are you planning on deep striking your captain? If you do, he's the closest target and will get rocked. With the remaining assault squad is an option, but he's slower moving so be mindful. The EC is walking or riding with the crusaders I presume?

Edited by Marshal Laeroth

Alright I'll tinker around and see if I can fit some hellblasters in. Yes the captain will deep strike and the EC is riding with a crusader squad.

Edit: This is what I came up with. I tuned down the HQ but I get either Hellblasters or a Quad Las Predator tank

Techmarine

Servo-harness

Power Axe

The Emperor's Champ

Crusader Squad

5x Initiate

All with bolt pistol and chainsword

Scout Squad x2

4x scouts 1x sergeant 

Bolt pistols and combat knives 

3 Rhinos with Storm bolters (2 have hunter killer missles)

Assault Squad x 1

4 space marines with bolt pistol and chainsword

1 space Marine Sergeant

Sergeant has melta bomb

Jump packs

Assault Squad x 1

1 space marine sergeant with melta bombs

Jump Packs

1 Landspeeder with multimelta 

1 Hellblaster squad

Total is 1000 points. 

Or 

Chaplain

The Emperor's Champ

Crusader Squad

5x Initiate

All with bolt pistol and chainsword

Scout Squad x2

4x scouts 1x sergeant 

Bolt pistols and combat knives 

3 Rhinos with Storm bolters 

Assault Squad x 1

1 space Marine Sergeant

Sergeant has melta bomb

Jump packs

Assault Squad x 1

1 space marine sergeant with melta bombs

Jump Packs

1 Landspeeder with multimelta 

1 Predator Annihilator twin lasscannon, and 2 side lascannons 

Total is 997pt. 

I posted the same list in the army list discussion if you guys want to discuss it further there. I am planning to get a stormraven as my transport as I do not have any landraiders. So I was thinking of getting a flying landraider. Any feedback will be appreciated. 

Edited by Blender