Artificer Armor; to become a BA Thing?

So I noticed in my new C:SM that pretty much there is no mention of artificer armor. It's implied on a few units, such as Techmarines and Honor Guard, and the Indomitus Armor relic, but it's not specifically mentioned anywhere, and of course not a part of any wargear options.

This got me to thinking that perhaps Artificer Armor was going to be only an option for certain Blood Angel's units?  I can't think of anyone who might have more/better access to it than perhaps Salamanders.

Thoughts?

Turning BA into a 2+ armor infantry without Terminators with more than just Sanguinary Guard? Seems unlikely. GW pushed Terminators for BA so hard and as said we already have Sanguinard Guard with 'artificier armor'. I don't think we'll get to see it on more units. Maybe as List-building Stratagem for a Captain/Chapter Master.

It would make a lot of sense given that Blood Angels use the work on their armour to help them learn to manage the Red Thirst. Easily represented using the current kits, as pointed out.

The thing is, if regular Tactical Sergeants get Artificier Armour...what about all the other Veterans like Vanguards, Sternguard and former Command Squads? Basically our whole Elite section. Nah, that's extremely unlikely. If we get additional access to more Artificer Armour, it will be on HQs and nothing else.

It would make a lot of sense given that Blood Angels use the work on their armour to help them learn to manage the Red Thirst. Easily represented using the current kits, as pointed out.

Not all of them work on their Armour. Actually that's only a small part of them. Many just paint things, sculpt statues or do similar things.

I'm not saying or even making a firm predictions about what units/models might be able to take it.  I just noticed that the mention of it is completely absent from the SM Codex, which is odd, given that it is a "thing" and i don't think they'll do away with it.

And given BA's preference for art and beauty and all that, it's a perfect fit that artificer armor becomes strictly 'our' thing.  Where and how it will show up, I don't know, but it belongs with us more than any other imperium codex that has yet to come out.

Not all of them work on their Armour. Actually that's only a small part of them. Many just paint things, sculpt statues or do similar things.
I didn't say they all did, or that every model should have access.

That being said in Dante it paints a pretty clear picture that all initiates are trained to use armour and armament care as well as pursuits in the arts to help temper the Thirst. I'm sure each individual takes to what works for them best over the next several hundred years of service and there's got to be enough that work their armour that select units having access to artificier armour would be warranted in a new Codex to help show the character of the Angels.

Time will tell, of course.

Edited by NTaW

I hear painting miniatures is a popular hobby.

We already see it on more of our HQ and chapter leadership characters. Tycho, for example, is one of the very few Astartes battle company captains that have artificer armor. As mentioned before our Sanguinary Guard do as well.

I don't think we'll get artificer armor on sergeants, or sternguard, vanguard, etc. Naah. Kinda silly too imo even given our fluff. Its not THAT abundant.

I hear painting miniatures is a popular hobby.

Honestly that's not even unlikely. Even before tabletops humans used to paint miniatures. ;)

There's no Chapter more suitable for it than Salamanders, and THEY didnt get it. So i suspect as an upgrade option it's gone, and some statlines will simply have the 2+ save built in.

Says who? The BA have always had master crafted wargear to include artificer armor. Heck, they were the first and only chapter post Heresy to have Inferno Pistols because they were master weapon smiths and artisans. It's always been part of their, "we live an incredibly long time and devote some of it to perfecting 'art'" thing.

Seriously, since edition they have always made some of the best armor and armaments, and it's inherent in the models.

I would say the exclusion of Artificer Armor options from C:SM and the indices is more due to the way the rules are written. They way I interpret the new datasheets and such is that they are going for simple sets of rules that get players playing sooner. If there were modifications to that datasheet, that introduces complexity I think they were trying to avoid with writing a whole new rules set.

The game design focus of 8th is primarily to reduce the complexity of 7th, and I'd say introducing the complexity of armor save options is trivial to keeping the datasheets simple.

That said, I really love how BA artificer armor looks, so I just include it on my models for aesthetics reasons

Edited by Brother_Mike

Isn't 'artificier' armor just extremely ornate and well-crafted/maintained power armor, from a fluff perspective? If so, I'd think any elite unit or HQ would "have access to it" by virtue of their longevity.

Well crafted mostly. Artificier armor doesn't have to be extremely ornated (but is likely to be due it's quality) and likewise extremely ornated armor doesn't automatically mean it's artificier armor.

The thing is, if regular Tactical Sergeants get Artificier Armour...what about all the other Veterans like Vanguards, Sternguard and former Command Squads?

Sergeants are in a command position, whether they lead a tactical squad or a veteran squad. Artificer armour might only be accessible to leaders.