Joining the Legion. Of Steel ♥

Verger

Hello, fellow hobbyists.  I've been humming and erring about a new 8th Ed army and have plumped for Steel Legion.  Other than the obvious (Infantrymen, commanders) - what do you all suggest as solid bets?  I've currently got laying at hand

Commissar with Power Sword and Boltpistol
1 Squad, with Plasma Gun and Lascannon
1 Chimera with Heavy Bolters and Heavy Stubber
2 Sentinels (+1 in the post) - no weapons chosen
Shadowsword

Whats your advice going forwards? Converting metal guard isn't an issue, so things like Snipers, Meltaguns, Banner-Bearers ect aren't out of the question. :)

Thanks.

Obvious stuff first (yes I saw your post, but want to be sure ;) ) 

You definitely want to get to a point of having at least 4-6 infantry squads for detachment and CP's 

Being steel legion did you want this to be an armoured / mounted list? In which case obviously more Chimeras ;)

I feel like some Demolishers and Eradicators would be well placed for Steel Legion too (Magnetized of course! ;) ) 

Artillery is amazing this edition! My Basilisk has been an all star next to my Bullgryns each time game I've fielded it, which is every time I've played my guard in 8th!

Are you interested in air support?
Valks are great for dropping in SWS or Bullgryns
Vendettas can't take Bullgryns but have same transport capacity as Valks, but with 3 twin lascannons instead

Vultures deal pain to light - medium infantry! ;)

What theme do you have in mind and is this going to be a casual army or competitive?

Do you want it static gunline or mobile objective grabbing?

Since Steel Legion are so heavily WWI inspired, I'd look there for inspiration. Enough infantry to fill a brigade detachment, heavy weapon squads and artillery, and a unit of tanks to break through enemy lines. Basilisks and Hydras in particular are phenomenal right now, as are Wyverns, and I run two of each at 2500 points.

Since Steel Legion are so heavily WWI inspired, I'd look there for inspiration. Enough infantry to fill a brigade detachment, heavy weapon squads and artillery, and a unit of tanks to break through enemy lines. Basilisks and Hydras in particular are phenomenal right now, as are Wyverns, and I run two of each at 2500 points.

Big infantry blocks are going to be a must, for sure.  I've been painting Space Marines the past year and it'll be nice to get some cloth done.

Obvious stuff first (yes I saw your post, but want to be sure :wink:

You definitely want to get to a point of having at least 4-6 infantry squads for detachment and CP's 

Being steel legion did you want this to be an armoured / mounted list? In which case obviously more Chimeras :wink:

I feel like some Demolishers and Eradicators would be well placed for Steel Legion too (Magnetized of course! :wink:

Artillery is amazing this edition! My Basilisk has been an all star next to my Bullgryns each time game I've fielded it, which is every time I've played my guard in 8th!

Are you interested in air support?

Valks are great for dropping in SWS or Bullgryns

Vendettas can't take Bullgryns but have same transport capacity as Valks, but with 3 twin lascannons instead

Vultures deal pain to light - medium infantry! :wink:

What theme do you have in mind and is this going to be a casual army or competitive?

Do you want it static gunline or mobile objective grabbing?

Infantry seems cheap enough that I can afford some armoured stuff.  Not sold on Bullgrins\Ogryns yet as they're a big artistic departure from Steel Legion minis.  If I took them, I'd have to do some major remodeling to them....

Basilisk seems like a must-have - I've read a few people singing its praises now.  I was thinking of taking some Devil-Dogs (Melta Hellhound) because on paper it looks cheap for the hassle it can cause. :)

I want the army, mostly - to have variety and to look nice.  I can add things to make it a more competitive list later if I want. :)

Thank you all for the food for thought.