Thousand Sons Display Base

Maldreth

Hello everyone,

A little while ago I send three Thousand Sons Sorcerers riding Disks of Tzeentch to a commission painter. I am hoping to have them back by the end of the month. In the mean time I have been working on a display base for them which I wanted to share here. 

DSC 0140

DSC 0142

DSC 0143

It's supposed to look like they ripped a temple out of the ground and are using it to travel around. I am going to add three more floating rocks above the main structure to add more height. I am very happy with it so far and I can't wait to start painting it :smile.:

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Maldreth

Awesome work!

So just one question are you gonna put anything on the big floating platform or is that the temple?

Anyway really cool i think i am gonna "borrow" this idea can't wait to see it painted!

Awesome work!

So just one question are you gonna put anything on the big floating platform or is that the temple?

Anyway really cool i think i am gonna "borrow" this idea can't wait to see it painted!

Hey, thanks for the compliment! The pictures don't really show it all too well but the models are on scenic bases like the ones to the side of the platform. 

DSC 0144

The large open space will be where the main sorcerer will go. This will hopefully give the effect of a cracked egyptian temple floor. Floating above the main rock structure will be smaller rocks with the two other sorcerers and familiars.

DSC_0152.JPG

Like this little one, preparing some nefarious ritual for his masters :happy.:

Awesome work!

Hey, thanks for the compliment! The pictures don't really show it all too well but the models are on scenic bases like the ones to the side of the platform.

The large open space will be where the main sorcerer will go. This will hopefully give the effect of a cracked egyptian temple floor. Floating above the main rock structure will be smaller rocks with the two other sorcerers and familiars.

Like this little one, preparing some nefarious ritual for his masters

Thanks for the reply!

That clears it up really awesome can't wait to see it with the sorcerors and some paint!

Any idea when you get the sorcerors back?

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I hope to receive the sorcerers in about three weeks time. Hopefully the base will be completed by then and I'll be sure to post pictures of them on it.

Painting starts tomorrow, after I've picked up several pots of texture paint :wink:

Edited by Maldreth

It took around two pots to get to this stage. You keep seeing the horizontal lines after painting on a single layer of paint. It takes several layers to build up a smooth effect and make it look like solid rock. I'm still not entirely satisfied with the smaller platforms so they will probably get another layer in certain places.

When I build something similar in the future, I'll probably coat the cork in a layer of modelling sand before putting the texture paint on.