Chapter Master and Crusade Helm

Schlitzaf

Chapters Master Strategem and Crusade Helm. It's a 3/4 Strategem investment into a character but we make our own Gulliman effectively. And with Rites of War Warlord we have a 9" bubble of reroll hits and ignore battle shock.

Is it worth it? I have 9/10 Command Points in my list currently, and I cannot decide. Gulliman whose all the rage is worth x2-x3 my Marshalls points but contrast here is a 6 Command Point Swing. What do you all think?

I don't quite get why guilliman adds CP because he's a great tactician and other chapter's greatest tacticians COST CP. But that's because everyone wants to be ultramarine i guess :P

I don't think investing 3-4 CP is worth that bonus. Other stratagems are probably more useful over the course of the game and applied as needed. As you have to decide before the game if you want to upgrade, you lack that flexibility. BUT it would be really cool imo :P

Captain(Marshall)

+3 Command Points for Chapter Master Strategem

+0/1 Command Point for Crusade Helm

Warlord Trait Rites of War

Rerolls All and Ignore Battle Shock within 9"

I don't quite get why guilliman adds CP because he's a great tactician and other chapter's greatest tacticians COST CP. But that's because everyone wants to be ultramarine i guess :tongue.:

I don't think investing 3-4 CP is worth that bonus. Other stratagems are probably more useful over the course of the game and applied as needed. As you have to decide before the game if you want to upgrade, you lack that flexibility. BUT it would be really cool imo :tongue.:

Never met anyone who wants to be a Smurf , honestly. Who in his/her right mind wants to be a Ultramarine?

Zeal? ?None. Light/royal Blue colored armor? =ugly.... could contiue all day.

Never got it why GW choosen those  as their Poster Boys. Its a GRIMm DARK AGE OF WAR goddamn. Not Hello Kitty.40.000.

I think this crosses over into the question of whether we ever want to take a Chapter Master. The High Marshal is pretty friggin good and doesn't cost any command points.

However, if you do want to take a Chapter Master, I think that set up for him is not bad if you want some more durable battleshock protection than Cenobites.

Chapter master makes you reroll to hit. Guilliman provides rerolls to hit and wound.

I like the idea, but I'm curious to know how you achieve 9CP without minmaxing your units which is a risky gamble.

I said 9 (well 9-10) because I am often taking 2 relics. And I am just uncertain myself sense I rarely have games I don't use all my Command points. That and my list aside was curious on everyone's opanion

Captain(Marshall)

I'm not so sure about that.

Crusade Helm boosts the range of abilities on the data sheet. Warlord traits and the Chapter Master stratagem have nothing to do with data sheets. If Helbrecht could take the crusader helm (which as a named character he cannot) then it would boost his reroll abilities since that's on his data sheet, but a Captain promoted to a Chapter Master loses access to the Rites of Battle ability on his data sheet so gains no benefit from a crusader helm.

I don't have access to the codex right now so I might be wrong about the wording on the Chapter Master stratagem but warlord traits are definitely not buffed by the Crusader Helm.

Things Crusader Helm buffs;

Chaplains (both of their separate abilities)

Ancients (crusader helm affects the range of abilities, not just buff auras)

Techmarines (giving them a 4" range on blessing of the omnissiah)

Captains

Lieutenants

Things it does not buff

Abilities granted by relics

Abilities granted by warlord traits

Librarian psychic hoods (but only because Black Templars can't take librarians)

The crusader helm kind of sucks, hopefully it will get errata to make it work how you think it does but by RAW I'd never take it.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Captain(Marshall)

Nope.

Crusade Helm boosts the range of abilities on the data sheet. Warlord traits and the Chapter Master stratagem have nothing to do with data sheets. If Helbrecht could take the crusader helm (which as a named character he cannot) then it would boost his reroll abilities since that's on his data sheet, but a Captain promoted to a Chapter Master loses access to the Rites of Battle ability on his data sheet so gains no benefit from a crusader helm.

Things Crusader Helm buffs;

Chaplains (both of their separate abilities)

Ancients (crusader helm affects the range of abilities, not just buff auras)

Techmarines (giving them a 4" range on blessing of the omnissiah)

Captains

Lieutenants

Things it does not buff

Abilities granted by relics

Abilities granted by warlord traits

Librarian psychic hoods (but only because Black Templars can't take librarians)

The crusader helm kind of sucks, hopefully it will get errata to make it work how you think it does but by RAW I'd never take it.

It actually does work on a captain promoted to chapter master, because the stratagem reads "replace rites of battle with..."

It actually does work on a captain promoted to chapter master, because the stratagem reads "replace rites of battle with..."

Then there's a case for that but its still a bit dubious since its still not on the datasheet. Hopefully this will be clarified.

the crusaders helm text says: increase any aura ability ...

It increases the range of abilities, there's nothing that limits it to passive buffs that get called 'auras' out of convenience. Annoyingly 'aura' is not a general use game term, due to 8th ed being allergic to them.

Then there's a case for that but its still a bit dubious since its still not on the datasheet. Hopefully this will be clarified.

If you replace something, it means one thing takes the other's place, it is therefore on the datasheet.