Red Marines

Jorre

So I've had a bit of time studying the new marine codex and there are alot of price drops.... mostly only a few points here and there but those savings add up quickly!

So much so that unless you are running alot of Blood Angel specific units I see very little point in running a BA only list.

Running red marines in a detachment seems way more efficient right now and maybe one of your smaller detachments with Ba unique units in it for flavour seems to be the go atm.

Youd also benifit a great deal from the extra stratagems, warlord traits, relics and point reductions.

There doesn't seem to be many reasons not to be running red marines atm!

Considering that we don't have our own rules yet, Handflamer suck and Inferno Pistols are situational at best....yeah it's definitely a valid concern to play something like Vanguards etc. as "Red Marines" in a seperate Detachment if it works out for the list you'd want to play.

I'd probably go with either Salamanders or White Scars in that case I think.

The only real problem that would come up then is that you wouldn't be able to use character buffs and transports as freely.

Someone wrote a list of the point changes on one of my fb groups but I can't for the life of me find it!

The list was extensive! Some i remember are

-15 points per Inceptors

Power fists got cheaper

-1 point for stern guard bolters

-15 on whirlwinds

There where a tonne more but that's all I can remember lol

Does it mean we get to use the space marine codex entry for wargear and upgrades? If so we may get to save some points and narrow the gap a little.

(I'm not sure if all the points changes, I heard power fists dropped by quite a bit)

You use whatever is the most up to date datasheet, and then use the weapons points in the book that that datasheet came from. So we use tactical marine datasheets from the codex, and baal datasheets from our index. 

Edit: That should be 'can' use. You can save money and use the index entries, or pay for the marine codex and use those until our own drops, hopefully around November.

Edited by Xenith

Ive said this a few times, but I'm firmly in a camp that believes there's zero shame in using different rules-sets to represent what is ultimately a background and aesthetic representation of your army. 

The Blood Angels as a faction are their heraldry, their colours, their formation, their history, their valour, their story and their curse.  The rules for them should ideally represent this - but they've not done so for a long, long time.   

The BA as an army have been poorly managed as an army for years, and the stalwarts players and supporters have persevered through it all. But it got to the point in 7th that there was no competitive edge offered by the BA. 

This opinion may be informed by personal choices (eg: for the last two SA National tournaments I've taken my "Red Dark Angels" - I won in 2016 and came 2nd recently last month) - but even still I feel that players should represent their models and their armies in a way that they get the most enjoyment out of it.  

We're fortunate enough that with marines being as similar to each other as they are, that we can actually do this. We do lose out on certain fluffy elements - especially the named characters, but when our core/signature elements are noticeably weaker or not viable, I think its high time we get creative. 

I'll stick to the BA in 8th for now, because I'm enjoying the Dante/Corb combo, but will have to see where it leads. 

I like the flexibility GW have offered us in mixing/matching units. 

Someone wrote a list of the point changes on one of my fb groups but I can't for the life of me find it!

The list was extensive! Some i remember are

-15 points per Inceptors

Power fists got cheaper

-1 point for stern guard bolters

-15 on whirlwinds

There where a tonne more but that's all I can remember lol

I was curious, so I did that and posted it in the adeptus astartes forum