Competitive ravenwing

oldmanlee

Be very cautious with the Land Speeder Vengeance. While it has the potential for great output, it struggles with the fact that its main weapon is heavy, thus overhating (stupidly I might add) on a 1 and 2 when moving. At this point, the re-rolls of Sammael will probably make it worse rather than better. If you do not overcharge the main gun, it is still a very decent source of 2 damage dakka against things like 2W infantry and light armour. Try it out, but donot expect too much.

Speeders have been really effective for me so far.

You'll want speeder squadrons to be able to take advantage of the Grav Upwash rule, so plan for 3-4 per unit.

I like running 2 or 3 squads of them along with the recommended Sableclaw, Dark Shroud and Dark Talon.

Honestly you can't go wrong with Ravenwing.

I posted a 75pp list in the lists subforum yesterday that's been quite effective for me, based off of a 50pp I've played a dozen or so games with. Sammael+darkshroud is the key, but they're vulnerable and so you have to play smart.

And I'm a big fan of sable claw! Would. Probably pair him with a tech marine though.

I've always prefered Sableclaw over the silly bike so I'm pretty happy.  As long as we're paying for the Jink rule in its current useless form, I don't expect too much from RW but the dark shroud combined with Aversion is great and the firepower output of Attack Bikes and Black Knights is respectable.

Agreed, plenty of goodness in the Ravenwing, but core units like bikers and speeders are overpriced in comparison with most other similar role options, that really compounds when you try to go pure.

Yeah I came up with a pure list for a torney I have next weekend and it's so small but I does have three flyers so that might have something to do with it

I dropped a RW list the other week that went something like Sabelclaw, DS, DT (possibly 2?) and 3 squads of speeders AC+HB/TML+MM/HF+HF. I advanced the shroud every (both) turns to help keep up with the move 20" speeders and to give it jink just incase (though I tried my best to park it out of LoS). Sammy followed it and provided clean up detail. I found the AC+HB speeders kind of lackluster, but the others put in some fine works. The dark talon(s?) was pretty good too but as I wanted to keep them zooming (to avoid Abadon charging them) they did stray out of the Sammy/shroud bubble turn 2 but as I'd all but tabled my opponent (1 marine squad way out of postion, far corner) by the end of that turn, it didn't really matter.

Had another game where I dropped mostly bikes, I found BLK knights to have lost a little something. But split fire and the fact you can now fire all your weapons seems to have made meltagun bikers quite nice and versitile with decent numbers, where as before adding extra guys to the squad seemed a waste.

What are peoples thoughts on Sableclaw competitively? His armament seems to match the reroll bubble gun line tactic more but I feel the fact that he can be targeted by anything even if he isn't closest ruins it.

Yes he can be targeted if they can see him, but generally people only target him if they perceive him to be the biggest threat.

Take 0800 Anarch's list above...

The primary threat was the 3 squads of speeders and how much damage they were putting out.

The next level threat was the 2 Dark Shrouds and the -1 to hit bubble they were providing.

Level 3 could have either been the Dark Talon with all of it's shots and mortal wounds or maybe Sableclaw with it's shots and rerolls.

But even without Sableclaws rerolls, those first 2 threats were going to be punishing to face.

I dropped a RW list the other week that went something like Sabelclaw, DS, DT (possibly 2?) and 3 squads of speeders AC+HB/TML+MM/HF+HF. I advanced the shroud every (both) turns to help keep up with the move 20" speeders and to give it jink just incase (though I tried my best to park it out of LoS). Sammy followed it and provided clean up detail. I found the AC+HB speeders kind of lackluster, but the others put in some fine works. The dark talon(s?) was pretty good too but as I wanted to keep them zooming (to avoid Abadon charging them) they did stray out of the Sammy/shroud bubble turn 2 but as I'd all but tabled my opponent (1 marine squad way out of postion, far corner) by the end of that turn, it didn't really matter.

Had another game where I dropped mostly bikes, I found BLK knights to have lost a little something. But split fire and the fact you can now fire all your weapons seems to have made meltagun bikers quite nice and versitile with decent numbers, where as before adding extra guys to the squad seemed a waste.

In my list I tend to run the speeders as AC+MM and TML+HB instead of the way you did.

Because it spreads my high damage weapons out, so my opponent can't just pick on one unit and get ride of all my big guns.

Plus it means I can keep my TML further back.

I haven't tired the 2 HF speeder yet, it looks like it could be devastating, but I'm still hesitant about getting my speeders in too close.