Army transport and storage options

GrMonkey99

Ok people I am looking for some help and advise.  I have recently gotten building a new necron army (pictures to be posted in the necron sub-forum once I have more painted) and am in need of some kind of storage and transport.  In the past I have used the old GW red foam cases but those are both OOP and do not fit the new models very well.  I also have some experience with battlefoam and their custom cut trays. (And their high price)

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with any other alternatives out there?  How do the new GW cases hold up, and are they worth the price?  Should I just go for the battlefoam stuff?  Or is there something else that I have never heard of?  Please keep in  mind that I have a horde of odd shapes and the texture on my bases is prone to coming off if too much contact occurs.  Any advise or other options will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Given the fragility of some new models , I am considering, for my plastics (proud owner of a ton of metal nuns with guns too), magnetizing each base and using a metallic carry case.

A guy in my shop uses that and , provided it is planned well, it seems to be a great way to carry stuff without chipping the paint or the fragile things.

He has a magnet at the bottom of each base, and a matching one glued at the bottom of his case with regular spacing .I gather you can do simpler by using a metallic bottom for your case but you'd need some demarcation or separation to avoid minis from sliding around.

Edit : keep in mind that if you do that on the bottom of the case, minis will be in a horizontal position when carried so the magnets should be chosen accordingly

Edited by Isolia

Given the fragility of some new models , I am considering, for my plastics (proud owner of a ton of metal nuns with guns too), magnetizing each base and using a metallic carry case.

A guy in my shop uses that and , provided it is planned well, it seems to be a great way to carry stuff without chipping the paint or the fragile things.

He has a magnet at the bottom of each base, and a matching one glued at the bottom of his case with regular spacing .I gather you can do simpler by using a metallic bottom for your case but you'd need some demarcation or separation to avoid minis from sliding around.

Edit : keep in mind that if you do that on the bottom of the case, minis will be in a horizontal position when carried so the magnets should be chosen accordingly

That is the best way, but also the most tedious. 

How does the OP store the cases? Can you create shelves or is that not an option.

I've been thinking about a return to something akin to how I used to transport my historicals. These models were on 1" x 3" metal bases. I had carrying trays with magnets at the bottom. This allowed each base to sit upright but prevented sliding during transportation.

A fellow gamer with a home built cabinets that allowed his trays to slide in. There was about an inch or two extra between each rack. This allowed storage of hundreds of models in a relatively compact space. However, this method is unlikely to work with larger models without bases.

I'm thinking about doing this again only I'd put the magnets on the model bases and use a ferrous transport tray. I'll still stick to the legacy battlefoam for vehicles.

I've always used KR Multicases, and I have been very satisfied with them. :cool.:

That said, I do magnetise the bases of my models for a variety of reasons, and my long-term plan for storage is to get a magnetises case to held them all in. This is more for reasons of compactness/storage than it is for reasons of transport.

Feldherr for me. I've got the large cardboard boxes for each army and then one of the huge carry cases to carry them in. Makes for very neat storage.

I really like the cases from giftsforgeeks.org.uk as you can build then with whatever selection of their foam you want. They are really strong fabric cases lined with plastic for support, with plenty of pockets for books. I've got one of the tyrant cases for one of my fantasy armies and going to order another one to store my Templars properly. I'm not going to try and get foam for tanks, drop pods, etc, just focus on infantry.

What size foam compartments do people think would be best for jump pack models, terminators, centurions?

Edited by rye0006