Missile Launchers vs. Lascannons

TheShredder

I run infantry-IG armies based around multiple pseudo-platoons along these lines:

Company Commander
Commissar
Infantry Squad with Lascannon and Plasmagun
Infantry Squad with Missile Launcher and Plasmagun
Infantry Squad with Flamer
HWS with 3 Heavy Bolters

My question is - do you think I'd be better off with a Lascannon in the second squad, instead of a Missile Launcher? Or are Missile Launchers with it for the extra versatility over Lascannons?

I ask because i like having some variety in my lists, however, I'm also aware that I've only ever used a Missile Launcher's Frag mode once, so I'm wondering if Lascannons would be the pragmatic choice. 

Any thoughts?

While flexibility is good, one thing I've gleaned along for similar advice is that in most cases you want your units to have a goal or purpose. Lascannons are there to blow up big things, and missile launchers seem to only be good if you specifically need that anti-infantry mode. If you're running a flamer and 3 heavy bolters with each of these platoons (and I assume you run multiple?) That's a decent amount of anti infantry, and personally I'd take the Lascannon to help kaboom bigger targets. Just my humble $.02.

While flexibility is good, one thing I've gleaned along for similar advice is that in most cases you want your units to have a goal or purpose. Lascannons are there to blow up big things, and missile launchers seem to only be good if you specifically need that anti-infantry mode. If you're running a flamer and 3 heavy bolters with each of these platoons (and I assume you run multiple?) That's a decent amount of anti infantry, and personally I'd take the Lascannon to help kaboom bigger targets. Just my humble $.02.

I agree with this. while missiles and lascannons look similar anti-armour wise. that str 9 means you wound pretty much all vehicles on a 3+. while missiles would on a 4+ against the big guys (land raiders, russes, knights, etc) and with the amount of anti-infantry you already have there. I would go for a second lascannon

I use 2xlascannon heavy weapon squads and 1 missile launchers squad. The frags are a bonus. It is nice having the option for up to 18 shots against some horde when they are the only available target. i found myself shooting at plaguebearers with lascannons because I didn't have proper targets.

I'd say that probably what's best is to have a mix of lascanons and maybe heavy bolters or autocannons for other targets, but I don't think missile launchers are an awful choice.

Being able to choose their ammunition has a few benefits that are not immediately obvious. For one if you're not list tailoring against an opponent, which isn't always a malicious thing mind you, it let's you have some flexibility against horde and monster/tank armies. It also lets you pick based on that particular turn. Did a very dangerous monster just appear from behind LOS and you need it dead right now? 9 krak missiles ought to help, and at T6/T7 not really be any worse than a lascanon. But then the next turn you seriously need to clear those pox walkers out before they charge? 9d6 frag shots help, and then overwatch with the same if you get multi charged.

I'm not saying it's better than going a mix of H. bolters and lascannons, but it's also not strictly worse either.

Edited by DrLoveMonkey