Ideas for converting Chimera into hellhounds

mertbl

So I am at best a cheap bastard. That being said in 8th I have stopped using my 4 chimeras and find myself often proxy them as hellhounds. I think the time has come to convert them over. So aside from a new turret and possibly hull weapon. Any ideas on how to go about making it look hellhoundish.

Maybe rip off the crew hatch on the back and install a fuel tank in each one, make it look like a field retrofit? Depends on your army style, a more rough 'n' ready army like Catachans or Krieg would work with that look IMO. Perhaps in combo with the above idea of faux fuel tanks on the lasgun ports as well.

Change the turret weapon to a suitably large flamer one, cover the six lasgun ports and leave the rest as it is. The tank could be sat inside and any connection to the turret would be internal.

Helicopters don't look any different on the outside when they carry 'ferry tanks' (extended range fuel tanks)... 

Use a sentinel heavy flamers in the turret. It fits nicely if you use the heavy bolter mount. Then, clip the lasgun array and use barrels from the old IG tank upgrade sprue for fuel tanks on the back. You might be able to fit 2 rows of two barrels. If not, then 2 side by side.

I think you need something to give the opponent an obvious visual cue for what it's meant to be, though.

A massive flamer in the turret and a fiery name on the side would be plenty... especially with the lasguns blocked off. 

After all... the original Hellhound model (for 40K) was just a slightly bigger turret and tanks over the lasgun ports (with 'gubbins' where the top hatch goes). The newer ones have all the tanks/gubbins inside so it isn't a big stretch to assume there is space.