The Dark Heresy Crusade: A Work in Progress

Blender

So I played some more games with the new space marines codex and I like it. So I will stick around with Black Templars a bit longer haha.

I played 4 games so far. 3 against Chaos (Nurgle marines and Tzeentch demons) and got decimated. However, my 1 game against Blood Angels I defeated. My EC finished off a 6 wound storm raven which was pretty funny.  He also got smited 5 times (he failed a few psychic tests before using  1 CP to reroll one) before I ran out of CP to deny the Tzeentch witches. He died a glorious death.

attached is a picture of my EC fighting with new neophytes before they all perished. 

Quad lascannon predators are fun this edition. A storm raven and Blood Angel Baal predator damaged my predator to 2 wounds left. I got really lucky and hit two lascannons on a 5+ and wounded, then I rolled double 6's on the damage done and one shot his Baal predator before my predator got taken out. 

Also assault squads deepstriking are so clutch. I used one squad to tie up enemy scouts with sniper rifles, the other assault squad deep striked kinda close to the storm raven and next turn successfully threw a melta bomb on it that did 6 damage (lucky dices). In the Tzeentch game my 2 - 5 man assault squads killed 30 pink horrors/brimstone and took a few wounds off the Tzeentch heavy fish tanks with melta bombs haha (no idea what they are actually called, enemy referred to them as fish tanks). 

I still need to test a storm raven, intercessors/hellblasters and interceptor squad from the Dark Imperium set. 

I was thinking of making my Templar's story a bit unique. Short story: my Templar's flew into the Eye of Terror to chase Chaos for some centuries. They come out semi-chaotified but still loyal to the Emperor to defend Terra in the new 8th Edition story. 

http://i.imgur.com/w7sQXER.jpg

Edited by Blender

• 3 weeks later...

I played another game today versus Tyranids. My playstyle is casual for now, until I get a better idea of the game. The game we played was 1500 points. 

My list was:

Spearhead Detachment: 1 Lieutenant, 3 Predators (2 autocannons, 1 twinlascannon: did not take side sponsons so I could take Helbrecht).

Outback Detachment: EC, 2 Assault squads (sergeants had melta bombs, all chainsword boltpistols, 5 man each) and 1 Landspeeder with multi-melta

Battalion Detachment: Lieutenant with MC boltgun, bolt pistol, and teeth of terra (yes I used a lieutenant to represent myself), Helbrecht

2 Scout squad (2 five man squads. sergeants had sniper rifles because I had extra points, rest of the scouts ccw and pistol)

1 Crusaders with boltguns

1 Storm raven

8 CP total.

His list was like Tyranid Monster Mash. (Spearhead detachment 4 CP)

1 Swarmlord with 3 tyrant guards.

2 carnifexes with 1 old one eye.

1 tyranid drop pod thing (tyranocite) with the big monster that is a bio-tank inside (shooting mode tervigon), if it stays stationary it shoots a lot (like twice in a turn or something).

2 trygons

I lost 2-5. If my predator survived on the objective, then I would have won haha... But my casual playstyle still let me kill a lot of his monsters. He was more competitive than I was. Even then he forgot to use smite or psychic powers in the last 3 turns.

Mistakes: Learn to take risks with storm raven and actually fly it instead of hovering--afraid of flying off the board. first time using it.

Don't forget to declare all the charges before going to combat/fight phase.

Don't hover storm raven within charging distances of big monsters (pretty common sense, should have abused fly rule).

8 CP is a lot. Don't carelessly use it to deny support psychic powers when your weight of dice will cut through their defenses (enemy swarmlord had 3+ save, 4+ invulnerable, 6+ ignore wounds, 5+ catalyst power to ignore damage, 2+ tyrant guard suicide hit. It only took my EC 3 rounds of combat to kill Swarmlord. after killing all the remaining tyrant guards haha.. Helbrecht and lieutenant are good until they died in combat leaving the EC to finish what they started.

Good habits and good things that happened:

shot pistols in shooting (in combat out of combat). Helbrecht pistol finished off a 1 wound trygon (after a 2 man remaining assault squad did a valiant last ditch melta bomb before charging and dying to overwatch haha). Multi-charges are fun.

Melta bombs from sergeants in assault squad always hit and wounded his bugs, the damage result was always 6 (real luck) before they died to the shooting tervigon because I forgot to charge it after shooting...

Killshot strategem with not fully kitted out predators killed old one eye in one turn of shooting, feels good.

Helbrecht and lieutenant buffs, help out EC a lot (mainly the extra strength from Helbrecht).

Lieutenants are good cheap units to fulfill detachment options, their master-crafted boltguns are fun to use.

Storm raven put out a lot of firepower. Glue on hurricane bolters (very cheap but fires 24 shots if rapid firing): just don't hover it and let bugs snack on it lol.

Landspeeder with multi-melta has big threat range. It always hit, and wounded. What did you know? The damage was always a 6, always abuse that 12" threat range. Make your own luck. Same thing happened with big man triple H firing his combi-melta, damage was a 6 haha. Should either take more landspeeders to take advantage of extra movement rules or test out typhoons even though they went up in cost.

Scout squads are good distraction units. Sniper rifles came in clutch killing a 1 wound carnifex from max range. Very fluffy, scouts hiding in the woods putting down a wounded beast.

Should try missile launchers, heavy bolters, or 5 sniper rifles next time. 

EC killed: 1 Swarmlord, 2 Tyrant guards, 1 Carnifex, 1 tyranocite drop pod thing. I should name him. Suggestions are welcome!! He didn't die this game. He was my last unit standing with 1 wound left facing off against the tervigon, trygon. 

High Marshal buffs EC to be a King Slayer.  5 strength 8 rerolling hits/wounds against characters/monsters make short work of overrated

Things to try in future:

Sternguard

Drop pods

Razorbacks with assault cannons

Fully kitted predators

Captain instead of Helbrecht. (Cheap alternative so predators can have more changes to deal more damage).

10 man assault squads/vanguard squads. Only using suicide 5 man, seeking death or glory with melta bombs so far haha.

Landraider (traded a friend a redemptor for a classic lascannon Landraider (happy with it!))

Devastators*** (a must)

Honour Guard

Command Squad

Chaplain

Apothecary

Aggressors

Hellblasters

Inceptors

Intercessors

TH/SS terminators deepstrike, landraider, stormraven

Maybe bikes

Landspeeder typhoons cause I own 2 of em.

Wish list:

Bobby G when I feel like winning with Celestine and devastators (give tau players a taste of own medicine): still need to buy.

More devastators

More scouts (snipers, bolters, heavy weapons, need to test more)

Reivers cause they look like scouts but cooler

Drop pods

more stormraven/land raiders

whirlwinds

Interested Strategems for future use: Hellfire rounds, whirlwind and landspeeder combo, Armour of Contempt.

To paint: 1 stormraven, 1 landraider, 3 predators.

To build: assault squads, demonized Helbrecht, bastardized Grimaldus, crusders, swap weapon options on specific scouts and landspeeders.

The game was fun. Learned from mistakes so I will know how to win in the future. Melta weapons are fun. Apparently I have loaded dice on the damage for overwatch and melta weapons haha.

Will make a progress log in WIP section once I switch from my full-time job back to part time for my second last semester at university! Only have time to play, not much time to hobby.

PS. I bought the Chaos Space Marine Codex to mimic Chaos rules as my Renegade, demonized, heresy, Templars are still hunting them in the Eye of Terror. Just went slaying Tyranids as training before they hunt traitors for real.

Edited by Blender