What are your expectations from your opponent in a 40K game?

Dragonlover

Actually one thing that really :cusss me off, people cleaning their dirty nails with the sword points of my minis. Yes that has happened.

That is outrageous lol. I'd have hit him

My expectations vary with the experience of the person playing. I have plenty of time for a new guy who is unfamiliar with rules, doesn't have a fully painted or assembled army or is proxying. Veterans who still don't know basic rules, or are still using the same unpainted models for months far less so.

Big things that annoy me are:

Lack of basic hygiene and/ decorum

unclear proxying (ie two squads have plasma but one is proxying for melta)

Constantly proxying for the same thing

Constantly interpreting rules to their advantage and being unreasonable about it

constant distraction

Actually one thing that really :cusss me off, people cleaning their dirty nails with the sword points of my minis. Yes that has happened.

That is outrageous lol. I'd have hit him

I did, got banned from the Southport store :lol:

... I believe I'm going to retract my challenge on the modeling options. I keep trying to write a rebuttal to the statements provided, and each time my arguments provide only the exception cases, not the standard. In general, I have to agree that if someone is planning on and continually uses models in a given way it is a fair expectation that the model reflect that. It's already been stated here and elsewhere that the edge cases such as trying something out or participating in a pick up game with a list that was made 10 seconds ago are far more acceptable, and I have no reason to keep repeating it. Apologies. I think it was the statement of it being insulting that caused my balk.

My rules would be:

• Don't be a git
  • Have a laugh
  • If you put the offer of drinks on the table I must accept and buy the first round

Lol what? Who thinks that is even remotely acceptable?!

a lot of mine already mentioned and to be honest I think some of my attitudes were tolerated at my GW purely because of the scene (new player coming into 40k, goes to the tournament hotspot GW. A lot of tournament players there with their tournament list. Still made them work for those wins with land raider silliness XD).

However one of my big ones is simple: Pay Attention.

Now I don't mind if you get a call, text or something during the game once or so. Maybe one of your friends brought you your food you asked them to get you from mcdonalds or something. That's fine, that's a quick thanks and couple of mouthfuls but if you are constantly talking to someone else during my turn when I am trying to alert you to what is going on then I :cuss expect you to pay a-:cuss-tention otherwise I lose my patience and thus if you miss rolls at that point tough luck. It may come off as scumbag to you guys but if I have to say the opponents name more than once for every roll so he knows what is going on and I have to do this EVERY roll then I am sorry, it is rude and dismissive and downright unsportsmanlike. So if I suddenly start saying there is a lot of tilted dice that need re-rolled suddenly because you can't give me the courtesy of your attention in this game because you are too busy talking with your friend then maybe you shouldn't be playing.

Not sure how people will feel about that but the rule stands: Pay attention. Not asking you to know EVERYTHING that is going on, I don't mind explaining what is going on if you were paying attention and maybe forgot a buff earlier in the turn (there is a lot of models to keep track of after all) but don't just have a conversation with your friend and not give the game the majority of your attention. It is dismissive and downright disrespectful.

The game I had this in wasn't fun. It was a doubles game with me and my friend (who is new to 40k) against two others. Those two were more interested in their own conversations NOT RELATED to the game that we had to regularly ask them to pay attention and even then they didn't. Took a lot of willpower not to jump the table and give them a good right hook. I don't care if this is your tournament list that you know is going to win, don't give me a smug attitude or I'll give you the attitude adjustment for it.

Sorry, needed a little vent on that. Just tiring when it was literally every turn, meaning OUR turns (me and my friend) was practically doubled because we had to try and get their attention and repeat how many saves they needed 3 times every time.

My rules would be:

• Don't be a git
  • Have a laugh
  • If you put the offer of drinks on the table I must accept and buy the first round

Lol what? Who thinks that is even remotely acceptable?!

It was the token stinky mouth breather. 

As for people on the phones during games, depending on the situation I dont mind, I once had to apologize to my opponent because my (at the time GF) lived quite a distance away and she was slapped about by her violent ex. As I couldnt drop everything and go see if she was ok the only way I could see if she was alright was via txt, at least I had the decency to not call her and tell her to wait till the game was over before she called. I did pay attention to what the other guy was doing though, it isnt that hard to txt and pay attention after all. But constantly on your phone messaging everyone or making calls etc is bloody annoying. Now I dont even answer unless its important if Im at the games table. 

I expect sportsmanship as follows :

- being nice, understanding and diplomatic, including having a shower on the day of the game :)

- explaining your army to the opponent. Scartchbuilds are okay if some effort is in them, proxies are OK testing stuff or, like myself, counts-as because I need to have those melta and stormbolter sisters arriving/converted, but explain clearly who is who beforehand and better yet reiterate it in-game. I understand testing, tight finances, little time and novices. I am less understanding of pure cheapskates in a store/club setting. But it's secondary to attitude itself. Purely subjective I know .

- don't switch moods when losing. I've seen quite some nice, permissive people become rectal orifices when losing , or making fun of a seemingly bad move. Grow up , I know ten-year-olds with more humility :) they often play better too wink wink ;)

- be open to discussion, e.g. we agreed recently wings on DPs and Celestine would not count for los because we both modelled ours quite liberally . It's cool to be cool :)

- debrief constructively, it's also a good time to settle any disagreement

- I also prefer fair warning for bizarre things like a knight titan in a 1k game or the 'I brought two armies just in case '

Edited by Isolia

As long as you're clear on what's what, I don't care about proxies of basically any kind, though I really like them to have the proper base size.

I guess a lot of people here wouldn't play against me though, I have all GW models, and I play WYSIWYG as much as possible. If a weapon is not the correct one, I'll make it as clear as possible what's what. The issue is I just don't like painting. I play this game as a game, it's a lot of fun.I love the lore (as should be obvious to anyone who's seen what I post around here) and I love the way GW models look, but painting just isn't fun. I've done a bit, and I'm sure I'll do more as time passes, but I have other more enjoyable things to spend my time on. If enjoying the game and setting aren't enough for you then I suppose I'll have to go find someone more reasonable to play against.

I'm not going to ruin my enjoyment of this game worrying about what other people consider important for me to be doing with my army, just like I'll play against anyone as long as they aren't cheating or being downright rude. I think it's important to remember that everyone enjoys a different part of this hobby, and that people should try and accommodate differing ways of enjoying the game. For instance, you want to see all painted armies, I don't paint much. Maybe one game we play a full game (I find it hard to believe that it's impossible for anyone to play against unpainted minis) where you accommodate me by not getting upset about my unpainted models, and then the next time we play some kill team, and I'll accommodate you by playing list that I probabaly wouldn't otherwise in order to by fully painted and WYSIWYG :D

Well in a non tournament setting (means games that you choose to play) the only thing that is really important to me is that my opponent is talking to me. If he is pointing out that he is not following WYSIWYG - there is always a way to make it work. Basically it's depending on you guys how your game experience is going to be. If you are friendly and setting a good atmosphere 50% are already sorted. (Ofc I can sign the wish that my fellow player is following some basic bahaviour like having base rites of washing on a rather regular basis :wink: so i can see his army without my eyes watering)

Edited by Chaplain Killmer

I just want to have fun. Games are ways of passing time in what is hoped to be a pleasurable experience for all involved.

What would make me not have fun has been mentioned by several posters. What I've discovered as I am now 30 plus years into the hobby is that I really can't stand the wasting of time. I do you the courtesy of paying attention the entire game frankly and not talking on a phone or texting or wandering over to the next tables during my turns. Is it too much to ask the same? Do I really need to track you down so you can watch my rolls and movement?

Simple politeness goes a long way.

Preferably a Pisces with GSOH who also enjoys long walks on the beach.

For me it's just someone I can have a bit of a laugh with and not take it too seriously. I've never really enjoyed power gamers in friendly settings, if it's a tournament that's fine because that is what is often expected but I'd rather spend an evening having a laugh.

The ones that used to wind me up the most were those that used a death star list which there is no defence against. Someone tells them how to make it then they try to make out they are the General Patton of 40k even though before that they constantly lost. I remember one guy that we all used to help because he didn't quite understand tactics and someone explained mini maxing and built him a power list. He became so obnoxious after his first taste of a win which was a real shame because we used to really get on well.

If someone comes up with something new they want to try and makes me think wow that was actually very effective then fair enough but just copying the power stuff they've seen on the net or something made for them used to wind me up. :biggrin.:

I think the key is to understand where your opponents mindsets are at when you play with a regular group. In my experience we used to find people of similar mindsets would gravitate to each other after a few games, so bad time games were fairly uncommon. New people were welcomed and we made sure they played a variety of different people the first few weeks till they found their niche.

Edited by Doghouse

I have two sets of expectations. One is as a normal player, the other is as an employee of the shop I play at.

Player:
- Be kind and courteous.
- When in doubt, rules go the way of the opponent.
- Proxies are fine, just make sure I know exactly what is what.
- Play to have fun, not to be the grand master dicknozzle champion. I've gotten smashed and been smashed, in the end a good mood is the biggest reward.
- An understanding of the core rules and your army's rules to the extent that mistakes and needing to check something is the exception, not the rule.

Employee:
- Swearing to a minimum. I don't get angry at the occasional curse word (we're a navy town, I think certain curse words replace whole sections of the english language to sailors) but I ask that there is a good faith effort to cut it down. It tends to work.
- Hygiene please. We're next to a naval base so sometimes you'll have some ripe people who have come off of various tasks, but please take a shower. If I am going to be playing you at the store I work out, I'd rather it not stink.
- No fighting. This is simple, but I don't want to play someone who gets angry about a game involving plastic toy soldier models, and I don't like it when I have to pull someone outside and talk to them about why throwing a :cussstorm is not tolerable behavior.
- Support us. You don't need to buy everything, but it is more than a little annoying when a dude spends X on ebay to get an army, or goes to a competitor to get something we have for the same price purely because it is closer to him. Buy something; throw something our way if you're using our space.

Definitely no roleplaying "Vile Xeno! Prepre to die! in the Emperor's name!" (orother faction specific yelling):facepalm: and no "sound effects" like BOOM, WAAGH, CHAAARGE, FOR THE EMPEROR etc. Also no personal life anecdotes from people I see from the first time, no chats on the phone while playing with me, no smelly food, no swear words...

This sounds so boring to me, lol.

First, I require they fill out an application...

Seriously, I don't play anymore so it's no longer a concern to me. But I used to have a couple of iron clad rules: good sportsmanship and a desire to have a fun game. I also had a couple of situational rules. If you want to touch my models ask first, then make sure your hands are clean. If the game is at my house and you use the facilities, PUT THE SEAT DOWN!

Y'know, when I first read the thread title I was thinking "man, some people put way too much thought into this." But reading through I realized I do have some expectations of my own. Like pay attention when it's not your turn and I'm trying to tell you what I'm doing. That's a really good one that I've been on the wrong side of. Same with hygiene.

Mostly my position is don't cheat and let's try to have fun, but yeah. Freakin pay attention to the game and freakin be hygienic.

I expect people to prioritize making the game an engaging, enjoyable shared experience for everybody. That can look differently on different days, playing different people, etc., but it always implies good sportsmanship, a gentlemen attitude, common sense, and an understanding that it's after all a game involving plastic fantasy soldiers. 

To concentrate on the game and not get distracted by other people nearby, nothing worse than an opponent deciding to have a full on nerd conversation with a spectator.

That's pretty much it, if they are an easy going person who wants to have a fun game I'm happy to let most things slide.

Like most have said, be there to have fun, not just to win. Other than that, the only peeve I'd have are if you just won't pay attention.

I've found I can tell whether I'll enjoy an opponent by watching how they treat players new to the game. A good opponent will walk them thru the turn, remind them if they make a mistake, correct rules misunderstandings gently, and play to make the new player better. An opponent I know I probably won't like will play a new player and go for the kill with every opportunity. It's the difference between playing for mutual fun, or playing so you have fun.

That they are coming in to the game with the mindset of us both having an enjoyable nights entertainment while we try to win rather then winning being the only priority.

I prefer no proxies ideally as I am not a fan of that guy has a flamer but is really holding a storm bolter etc and I prefer to play players who clearly play the army & models that they love rather then the strength of list they love.

Those reasons are why I have stopped playing pick up games against complete strangers in my adult life, my wargaming experience has improved so much since I helped build a new gaming club of like minded casual players a few years back.

Edit: Had to add the not getting distracted part, it is never enjoyable when an opponent is more interested in something else going on then the game we are currently playing, stay focused, plenty of time for a detailed chat with other people at our club after the game.

Edited by Shockmaster

Rather than truly derailing another thread, I thought I'd start a new one, because this sort of thing fascinates me. Just what exactly *are* your expectations when you play a game of 40K? Mine are as follows:

Has the relevant Codex/Index they need to play

Has the core rules

Has written an army list that's understandable

Any proxies are obvious and consistent

That's kind of it for me, and I've broken all of them at least once.

Dragonlover

All of those things, but most importantly, is to have fun.

Also bringing beer helps too.

Rather than truly derailing another thread, I thought I'd start a new one, because this sort of thing fascinates me. Just what exactly *are* your expectations when you play a game of 40K? Mine are as follows:

Has the relevant Codex/Index they need to play

Has the core rules

Has written an army list that's understandable

Any proxies are obvious and consistent

That's kind of it for me, and I've broken all of them at least once.

Dragonlover

All of those things, but most importantly, is to have fun.

Also bringing beer helps too.

Spot on for me.

Bad personal hygene can be a symptom of certain disabilities not uncommon in hobby communities, so I would be wary of being too insistent on it.

I wouldn't say you have to put up with people just because their own the autistic spectrum but at least try to be understanding.

To make certain I am understanding correctly... Using this model is an insult? Am I required to purchase and construct a separate heavy weapon model for grav cannon, lascannon, missile launcher, heavy bolter, multi-melta, and plasma cannon for each of my squads to avoid this insult?  Must I construct a separate Captain for each option configuration?

You're required to buy models for every army you want to collect. WYSYWYG has always been a rule.

You don't have to have every heavy weapon modeled, you could just commit to one load out. Most people do that and have no problems. If you want to swap things out magnets exist. Making choices about what load outs you collection has is part of the hobby, choosing what your captain wields is part of making your own characters.

There's no obligation to change your captain's weapons every game. If someone wants to change them around then that's their choice and the desire to not have to put energy into magnetizing is laziness. Its not the other player's fault for wanting things to be modelled the way the rule book says they should be.

I'm fine with the odd use of proxies but no one has a right to use proxies, its on your opponent's grace that they let you get away with them.