What are your expectations from your opponent in a 40K game?

Dragonlover

1) Don't be a dick.

2) See rule 1.

3) Don't pick up my models without asking.

4) If a rule is fudged for the sake of gameplay, keep it consistent throughout the game.

5) No sore losers (or obnoxious winners). It's just a game.

6) Pay attention and don't wander away from the game for an extended length of time.

#6 is pretty important to me. Had a game years ago at a local store where I went to use the bathroom between turns and came back to find my opponent nowhere in sight. Eventually (a half hour later) discovered that his buddy showed up and they stepped out to smoke pot. Now, I don't care if the dude wants to smoke, I used to myself. But in the middle of a game without telling the person you're playing? C'mon man, have some respect.

I had my models packed up by the time he returned.

After a wooooonderful game this afternoon, I have some new ideas on what I expect from my opponent.

1) Know your army's rules, especially if using a new book. Don't expect me to know them for you when I don't play that army. If I ask for clarification, give me it, don't just say you're doing it right. This goes double if it turns out you weren't doing it right.

2) Roll, do not throw, dice. If you can knock over my models with the momentum, then you are not rolling in a civilized manner.

3) Don't talk smack after each unit you wipe out. I'm playing Astra Militarum. You'll lose your voice before I lose all my units.

4) If you're going to try to call the game early, don't even try it if we haven't had the same amount of turns. You had 4, I had 3. Why would I call the game early at that point?

5) Don't throw a tantrum and start yelling because you dropped your own model and broke it. I helped find the process for you, don't be mad at me.

Don't touch my stuff without asking and there will be no eye contact before, during or after.

This sounds like this one time me and my buddy met a friend at a bar

After a wooooonderful game this afternoon, I have some new ideas on what I expect from my opponent.

4) If you're going to try to call the game early, don't even try it if we haven't had the same amount of turns. You had 4, I had 3. Why would I call the game early at that point?

House could be on fire. Missus in labour. Plenty of reasons to call it short. 

Don't touch my stuff without asking and there will be no eye contact before, during or after.

This sounds like this one time me and my buddy met a friend at a bar

Seriously dude, you promised to not tell anyone!!!!

1) Know your army's rules, especially if using a new book. Don't expect me to know them for you when I don't play that army. If I ask for clarification, give me it, don't just say you're doing it right. This goes double if it turns out you weren't doing it right.

2) Roll, do not throw, dice. If you can knock over my models with the momentum, then you are not rolling in a civilized manner.

3) Don't talk smack after each unit you wipe out. I'm playing Astra Militarum. You'll lose your voice before I lose all my units.

5) Don't throw a tantrum and start yelling because you dropped your own model and broke it. I helped find the process for you, don't be mad at me.

Sounds like a charming fellow.

To all fellow Frater: That's a great example of someone breaking the DBAD rule most of us have.

I haven't yet tried playing the game, but I see a lot of familiar ideas from similar discussions in tabletop roleplaying - especially when it comes to gaming with strangers at a convention or one-shot club game. Hygiene, paying attention, knowing the rules you're using, they're all important.

I'm pretty easy going when it comes to wargaming. My "absolutes" are pretty much:

- Know your own rules, because I sure as hell don't!

- Don't be a dick. This covers pretty much all social etiquette regarding the game and interacting with each other. 

- Don't mess with someone else's models. Don't even touch them without asking.

Another peeve of mine is slow play. Play the game! It's what you're there to do! I get that it's a social thing, and it's an opportunity to chat and hang out with friends but not everyone has a limitless amount of time. Be mindful of this. I don't mind if you're chatting to your mate while I'm moving models but if I have to wait 10 minutes for you to roll armour saves because you took a phone call that's just inconsiderate. Pay attention during the other player's turn so you don't have to faff around for ages deciding where to move at the beginning of your own turn. When your movement phase starts you should be moving models! Maybe I'm just getting impatient now that I'm older but there's really no reason for an average sized game to take 3 hours anymore.

If you have to spend 5 minutes trying to justify your unconventional interpretation of a rule to gain some kind of advantage, you're wrong. Yes GW writes sloppy rules but if you can't clearly tell me "I get X bonus because of Y" without needing a flowchart, 3 rules sources and an online discussion to validate it then I'm going to disagree with you. I'll probably let it slide anyway for the sake of keeping the game going, but it's just poor sportsmanship in my opinion.

Oh and just for the sake of common courtesy, ask your opponent before taking photos of their models. I'm 100% ok with anyone snapping pics of my half-painted mess if they like, but it's just polite to ask.

Politeness and patience. Willingness to use an appropriate amount of terrain. Also, politeness and patience.

Some of the other stuff mentioned here is so particular I wonder if any games are ever played.