Did I hear correctly...

old git

...that GW have said that there will be no new models for for the chaos codex? That's apart from 1k Sons and Death Guard when they appear. I want to order a few bits for conversions but if I don't need to...

I don't think that's quite what was said. There was no new models released along the release of the chaos SM codex, but I don't think they said anywhere that there wouldn't be any new models ever again for the chaos range.

No new models with the codex, not no new models ever.

I don't think that's quite what was said. There was no new models released along the release of the chaos SM codex, but I don't think they said anywhere that there wouldn't be any new models ever again for the chaos range.

No new models with the codex, not no new models ever.

Here we run in to stuff like GW counting 1ksons or DG as being a chaos sm release, which is a bit like saying that because GK got a new codex, so did every other imperial sub faction.

The chance of us actualy seeing undivided stuff anywhere in the near future is rathe slim, and it is a bummer, because with a new csm kits, maybe GW would fix them or something.

sickSix  - i hadnt even noticed that, holy ****

the noise marine upgrade kit doesnt fit on the plastic models, has been my rage inducing experience with the csm model range

The 'holding' arm does, the actual gun arm has a nasty gap that needs filling where the 'armpit' would be. Or at least the metal ones did, not sure how it fits in resin. 

In fairness to GW, they probably wanted to get a CSM Codex out there ASAP because of the Traitor Legion rules everybody's been asking for after having 'em stripped in the Index. At the same time, they didn't want to put out a complete revamp when a lot of those CSM players would probably be dipping into the Death Guard releases - even if they don't begin a whole new army - on the side as well. 

In fairness to GW, they probably wanted to get a CSM Codex out there ASAP because of the Traitor Legion rules everybody's been asking for after having 'em stripped in the Index. At the same time, they didn't want to put out a complete revamp when a lot of those CSM players would probably be dipping into the Death Guard releases - even if they don't begin a whole new army - on the side as well.

I'm guessing they were worried that a full Chaos revamp might cut into their Primaris sales. It did have the potential to backfire and we could have ended up with more traitors tired of Mary Sues lol. Normally I'd say updating a major faction with wider appeal would make better sales sense then a smaller faction when you've got a new edition of rules. Loyalist/Traitor lines are pretty well established I think, so Primaris hedging is my guess.

That said, I am disappointed with the Chaos release. It seems very rushed when there are so many models that can use updating, compared to the relatively new metal/resin plague marines that came out around the 13th BC. Of course I would have been happier with an Emperors Children codex over DG, as they seem to get little attention from GW.

As I see it, there were two options.

Option one, we get the Codex early with no new models for Chaos Undivided. The models will arrive eventually, maybe around two years from now if they get through all the Cult Legions before tackling Undivided, but we get to have our Legion traits, Stratagems and all that in the meantime.

Option two, the Codex comes out with new models, meaning that we have to wait 2+ years for the CSM Codex, since they seem to be going for the Cult Legions first. Primarchs do sell like hot cakes, after all.

Personally, I'm glad they took option one.

And please don't say that the metal/resin Plague Marines are relatively new compared to the rest of the CSM range. Those buggers are dated 2002, like most of the range, with very few exceptions being older.

Edited by DeadFingers

From what I gathered in Nottingham yesterday. GW are struggling to keep up with the production of the current ranges. This is due to the size of the factory facilities they currently have. They are trying to get hold of more real estate, either the wood yard across the road or the Charity warehouse next to the Eurohub. Once they have this extra manufacturing space they can then start realising new models. Until then it's just keeping up with the current range and the other models they already have in production for this year. I specifically asked if there would be new World Eaters/Khorne Berzerkers models being produced, because of the age of the models, and I was told there were no plans, along with the rest of the Generic Chaos range to update.

Noise Marines are 2002 as well, just like the thousand sons kit.

EC are older, I had those kits well before K Sons or DG. They were sold at my favorite gaming store before it went out of business, which was before the 13th BC.

Even if some of them are older and some newer by some years, all of them are well over the decade old. And in the case of the old Noise Marines, Rubrics and Plague Marines it matters even less because all of them are based on the regular CSM sculpts. They ALL need a facelift. Badly. And we're getting to it, it's just a matter of time now.

The point was that, since it's Mortarion and the Death Guard's turn under the Chaos spotlight, we either got the CSM Codex now with no new models for Undivided, but the very plausible possibility of new models later, or we get to wait a couple of years for both the models and the Codex. I still prefer getting the Codex now.

...Um the DG were all metal and had some pretty decent sculpts when I bought them. They were not variants of the basic CSM box like ECs, K Sons, or IW.

My point is that they could have done the EC instead of DG to put out models for noise marines which are lacking. You get one sonic blaster per box for instance. I personally would have rather seen new models with the new codex, rather than seeing them come later and possibly needing another new codex for the new models. The way they are doing things now just seems like poor planning to me, even if they were hedging their bets on Primaris.

The old Plague Marines were all metal and not an upgrade pack, yes, but their models were still based on the CSM squad sculpts, with the nurgley details sculpted over the basic CSM body. A couple of them even have normal helmets.

Edited by DeadFingers

EC are older, I had those kits well before K Sons or DG. They were sold at my favorite gaming store before it went out of business, which was before the 13th BC.

Codex Eye of Terror was 2003, the 3.5 Codex: Chaos Space Marines was 2002. The 2000 catalogue only has the metal bodied Noise marines in it.

I had a look through my White Dwarf collection and couldn't find the Emperor's Children release, but the current chaos marine plastics were definitely 2002, the part-metal Thousand Sons using that kit came with the 3.5 codex a little latter and the Deathguard and Typhus were released along with the Defiler for the Eye of Terror Campaign. So the Emperor's Children must have come out somewhere between the plastics and EoT.

2006 also had a Deathguard Havoks release with flamers, meltaguns and plasma guns but those are off sale despite being (slightly) better than the finecast rubbish.

The old Plague Marines were all metal and not an upgrade pack, yes, but their models were still based on the CSM squad sculpts, with the nurgley details sculpted over the basic CSM body. A couple of them even have normal helmets.

Technically the finecast version is still the current Plague Marines.:huh.:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Space-Marines-Plague-Marines

My point is that they could have done the EC instead of DG to put out models for noise marines which are lacking. You get one sonic blaster per box for instance.

Nobody is saying EC don't need new models. Of course they could have done EC instead of DG but they have to do one at a time if they're going to the level of depth they're doing with DG and TS.

You don't get 1 sonic blaster per box because the EC box is no longer on sale. All you can buy now is either a set of 5 sonic blasters with one blast master or an EC upgrade set with the champion bits and 1 of each sonic weapon.

You could also argue that Kakophoni exist so DG and TS where behind on having okay recent models.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Yes, they draw inspiration on what came before, just like the CSM is based off the basic tactical marine box. Except for being metal I would call them better quality then the CSM box and easily identifiable as different. They were better than the older blister pack DG imo too. Claiming that something is as old as the model it's based off of means that all power armor models are as old as the first SM model, because that was the prototype. This is gone way off topic and I'm done with it.

I don't mean "based on" as in they're all wearing power armour too so it's the same basic idea, I mean "based" on as in the old metal Plague Marines were sculpted using regular CSM bits as a base and adding some nurgley details over them. They legs are the most blatant part, some of their helmets too, the arms, shoulder pads, weapons, they're all CSM bits with some nurgley details sculpted over.