HH Space Wolves lets go hunting for traitors.

Some work done on Russ today. Didn’t quite have it in me to sculpt fine detail so started laying out the ground work (pun intended) for his gaming base and the handy left over green stuff found its way to some cataphactii.

I hope you enjoy how he looks leading the legion as opposed to logting above it.

A4802_A41_C906_44_D8_A1_D1_9110913_A8_AE

Stray

Great idea for the shield of Russ !

I just paint one myself and I really love this shield but unfortunately I love the backpack even more. Incapable of finding a good place for the shield I finaly decided to not place it on the model... Now I look like an Idiot from Hell for haven't think at replacing the axe with Mjalnar and get the shield where it belong :wallbash:.

Juste perfect this way !

Enjoy the painting ;)

malchy

@Hushrong thank you I’m glad you are enjoying him. Works getting done piece meal on adding the relivant details before painting begins. Stay tuned brother updates won’t be far off.

@Malchy thanks man that’s hight praise coming from you. I’d consider your Russ to be one of the best Iv seen. As for the the shield swap I was amazed that I couldn’t find any examples. I guess the pressure is on to set the standard on it.

That all said. I wish I had more to show but base building is rather dull and until it’s finished it looks a bit lack lustre. To pass the time between waiting for this to cure I started fleshing out the honour guard. Still very much a test piece and plenty left to do. The other 4 members are dismembered and will need much more than this chap.

2_C474_FCF_39_A3_48_D7_8_CBE_4732_BFF260

689_B5006_660_A_424_B_9_A40_990_FA1_AC2_

9_FE8_B234_E5_F0_48_B1_B91_E_AE8_C5_BB0_

Hope you all enjoy.

Stray

@outlanders_luke thanks for all the good vibes. The contemptor will be getting another member of the talon. I have it all planned out just trying to clear a couple more squads before I get side tracked with another big piece. The speaker was possibly the most fun I have had so far with regards to converting and the creative process. Always nice to get some feed back on the paint. The armour is a labour of love on every mini. I will document the process on a mini in the future.

So it’s time for a final update on Russ. I have still a little work left to do sculpting but the bulk of it is done. A bit of shape refinement on the shield and a little more work on the base smoothing some bits out ect. All in I’m pretty stoked with how this is all coming together.

The base was a little more challenging than expected. I hope it’s recreated the feel of the original to compliment the pose and has fixed the hight issue I have with the scenic one he is provided with.

Pics as always.

7070_FB34_B399_4865_892_A_B3_DA89_DE812_

589_EEB49_18_F0_42_EA_BE14_B06_E7_F0_BDD

151_A2_F8_E_19_BB_41_D5_B62_D_48_F9_BF77

Stray

I may have promised myself that I would pace myself and not delve head long into the Primach. Iv only really made a dent in the armour. I debated for a while as to how to paint it. In the end I wanted him to fit in with his legion so he is wearing the same colours as the packs he leads.

To finish off before pics honestly if your on the fence about picking up one of these pieces. I would honestly urge you to give it a go. I had more nerves about applying paint than hacking the piece up to swap things around. Now I’v started applying paint. I can’t wait to get a bit more done.

E8660_FA9_5_F83_4309_B31_B_61_D04_FEA503

F5_F14_F54_6872_4_EFD_A154_04_DC2_C5225_

Stray

Another little update.

Thank you Sagentus. Always good to hear people are enjoying the direction I’m going.

Pearson73 thanks bud. It’s the exact same recipe as I use on the rest of the legion. I’m really enjoying how the washes play with the different armour marks.

Been working on the bronzes, getting a few base tones down and getting some headway started on the base. I would normally work on the base last but I wanted to see how the mini start to look as other elements get added before tackling the fur pelts. I know traditionally it’s a grey white pelt but given the colour of the armour. I’m worried about it washing out a bit.

So with out further ado. Something shiney for you all.

234_C506_C_5751_4_FBB_9_AA0_1_A050_ADE15

Stray

@Pearson thanks buddy, the fur was a labour of love. Having a good reference image really was key to that. Not that my other half enjoyed me asking her which of the dead wolves look prettier.

@Dantay thanks man. It’s been many years since I’ve painted a blade like that.

@Sagentus thanks man, the trim has had one final highlight to capture the movement you might be able to pick that up bellow.

Update!

Not as much hobby time as I have been lucky to have of late. I have made a start on he hair. Iv gone for a Red Blonde. I know traditionally it’s a more white blonde that he is portrayed as having but given the space Viking feel of the legion you have to get a bit of red in there.

The face has been started and still needs a lot of work.

In non Primach related news, Iv been wrestling with a mkIIb it’s going to be the first time I’ve tried this pallet on so many large flat surfaces.

875134_AB_42_E8_4167_ADAD_3_F65451_E800_

Stray

@hushrong that’s a great question I prefer the more true grey than the blue grey. I did look into it and there is no fluff behind the move to that colour that I could find. That said the first tone I paint on this grey is the space wolf blue grey so it definitely has its uses.

Not to much to report. If I’m honest the face is a little intimidating to paint. I’m making headway and the hair has a more true blonde worked into it now so he doesn’t look quite as hardcore ginger.

6439_A00_C_5180_4779_8_E13_DE1396617_E1_

I would appreciate some insight on the eyes. Part of me wants to paint them more natural colours. Another part of me wants to use the art from his book with the cold blue eyes as a bases for it.

Stray

Excellent work on your Primarch:thumbsup: I like your choice of grey and the sword looks great. I'll second that vote for natural eyes..... I think glowy eyes are a bit over the top. Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for feed back on the eyes. I have had a little hobby time to work on Russ but not as much as I would have liked. I was hoping to have him finished by now and the next project started while working through a sea of grey slayers. Any whooo rabble aside. Progress pics to follow.

F3579_F76_EBE7_4_BB5_B8_B4_CB137_E70_F17

AC0707_F0_9_AEA_4_C22_89_B5_186_FACAE655

F6_D1_C403_13_D1_4435_85_CE_E03_F8_E07_A

Stray